Shit on bands here

i know this is the "shit on bands" thread and not the "get butthurt because people are trashing something you like" thread but

do all of you guys seriously think kanye's music holds no value whatsoever? i mean yeah he's a douche blah blah separate the art from the artist or whatever but like... college dropout? late reg???! this guy wrote some seriously game changing hip hop albums. i'll be the first to admit that yeezus was weak as hell and 808s wasn't exactly the greatest but it almost seems crazy to me that someone would think that this guy didn't come out with some monumental hip hop work back in the day.

/rant

i know this is the "shit on bands" thread and not the "get butthurt because people are trashing something you like" thread but

do all of you guys seriously think kanye's music holds no value whatsoever? i mean yeah he's a douche blah blah separate the art from the artist or whatever but like... college dropout? late reg???! this guy wrote some seriously game changing hip hop albums. i'll be the first to admit that yeezus was weak as hell and 808s wasn't exactly the greatest but it almost seems crazy to me that someone would think that this guy didn't come out with some monumental hip hop work back in the day.

/rant

I see where you are coming from, and his older music definitely turned a lot of heads.  But on the other hand I've personally gone to shows of bands that I really liked and hung around to talk to them after the show only to find out that they were total dickheads which made it a lot tougher to listen to their music after having such a sour experience with the artists themselves.  But maybe I look at things differently because I am a musician. Because I am, I always take time to talk to any fans that want to talk to me about anything related to our music and I am always patient and friendly to them.  To me this is what really makes the difference.  Someone like Kanye who is a total dickhead in every possible regards doesn't have my respect and certainly doesn't deserve my ears either.  

Kanye doesn't hang out with his fans. So he's a terrible artist.

Have you ever seen HOV chillin with his fans after a show? Is he an asshole too?

People just fail to realize that the dick with the extremely overly inflated ego is part of his act, his image. It's part of him being an artist.

And while his first 2 albums were ground breaking, twisted fantasy is already considered an all-time great. As long as you let your bias get the best of you, you're only doing your own ears a disservice.

Kanye doesn't hang out with his fans. So he's a terrible artist.

Have you ever seen HOV chillin with his fans after a show? Is he an asshole too?

People just fail to realize that the dick with the extremely overly inflated ego is part of his act, his image. It's part of him being an artist.

And while his first 2 albums were ground breaking, twisted fantasy is already considered an all-time great. As long as you let your bias get the best of you, you're only doing your own ears a disservice.

I thought this was the shit on bands thread, my mistake....

it almost seems crazy to me that someone would think that this guy didn't come out with some monumental hip hop work back in the day.

It would take some convincing for me to believe Kanye writes any of his own music. I understand if you guys enjoy what he puts out/used to put out, but after watching a few interviews with him I just don't know if he actually has the mental capacity to write any kind of music, let alone good hip-hop. He is not just a shithead - he is a fucking imbecile. I've watched him shit all over "corporations" and talk about how they're ruining the music industry, while his next talking point is about Nike sponsoring his next tour, or some name-brand shoes, or some shit. Also, doesn't he own a fucking corporation? I know he has designed shoes for or sold shoes with at least three or four.

To me, Kanye West seems to be the epitome (or maybe personification?) of all of the "swag kids" who think the Illuminati and New World Order are behind all of the world governments. 

I can't get behind this. I think that's a ridiculous justification for the way he acts.

I will, however, be the first to admit that I've never listened to one of his albums all the way through. So if there's something I'm missing, I'm open to criticism.