Shit on bands here

i could have gotten into this in another thread where they were mentioned, but this thread exists for a reason!

relient k. how anyone can listen to them blows my mind. dude has the gayest voice ive ever heard.. and this isnt a knock on someone being a homosexual, but holy shit. its painful.

i saw them open for a show a couple years ago, and they were like "were gonna play a cover now. i doubt any of you have ever heard of this, and if you have then youre pretty cool." and they played africa by toto. yeah, awesome song. but come on man.. that song has gotten fair to heavy radio play over the years.

Every 90s ska band. Adding a trumpet or two to boring pop punk doesn't make it less boring.

This makes me cry a little bit into the tissue I just dropped...right after I "Pick it Up."

Really though...every 90's ska band?

If you want to show me some good 90s ska bands, go for it. I haven't found any.

This makes me cry a little bit into the tissue I just dropped...right after I "Pick it Up."

Really though...every 90's ska band?

do you like traditional ska or 2 Tone at all? There were a ton of revivalist bands working in both of those subgenres during the 90's that were great.

Tigers Jaw.....seriously....are we listening to the same god damned band???

Right there with you. Wasn't really feeling their recorded stuff, but they played a show here a couple years ago with a band I wanted to see, and holy shit they were beyond boring.

I'm not gonna go into specific bands, but the "popcore" pop punk, or whatever you wanna call it, is pretty terrible to me.

Tigers Jaw.....seriously....are we listening to the same god damned band???

Right there with you. Wasn't really feeling their recorded stuff, but they played a show here a couple years ago with a band I wanted to see, and holy shit they were beyond boring.

I'm not gonna go into specific bands, but the "popcore" pop punk, or whatever you wanna call it, is pretty terrible to me.

I guess they're pretty big here in the Birmingham "Scene" or whatever the hell it is, the 50 kids who go to shows here....all of my friends here love the shit out of them, I like that Two Worlds record better than the other stuff I've heard....I just, I don't understand it, the dude's monotone voice, the flaccid guitar tone, the lack of anything fun musically happening, I just don't get it. I feel obligated to catch 'em live next time they come through....maybe it'll click with the live show??? I don't know, kids here are go Ape-Shit Bonkers over 'em, and I feel like I'm either missing something, or I'm too fucking old, or maybe I just don't get it anymore.

I'd also really like to add Animal Collective to seemingly endless list of bands I fucking don't understand how they have a god damned following.... also, this whole electronic scene "dub-step" and all that stuff, maybe there's talent or merit buried deep down in there somewhere, but I don't fucking get it or enjoy it either

do you like traditional ska or 2 Tone at all? There were a ton of revivalist bands working in both of those subgenres during the 90's that were great.

Yeah, 2 Tone and tradition ska are great, and I'm cool with revivalist bands. But 90s ska is different.

A couple years ago I would've bitched about Pavement, but fell in love since then.

Never, ever understood the whole HOLY FUCK PEARL JAM revival lately. First off, why now? Because the Almost Famous dude made a movie about them?

I can't be the only one on this board who cringes at the sound of Eddie's voice..

i have never listened to brand new. They're all over this place so i just listened to first song that popped up in You tube. yeah, not so good. I did the same with city and colour. horrible. f'n canadian can't even spell.

which brand new song was it?

as for city and colour, i do like a couple songs. everything else is just annoying dude whining over acoustic guitar.

ok, both the songs i like fit that description too. theyre just easier on the ears.

A couple years ago I would've bitched about Pavement, but fell in love since then.

Never, ever understood the whole HOLY FUCK PEARL JAM revival lately. First off, why now? Because the Almost Famous dude made a movie about them?

I can't be the only one on this board who cringes at the sound of Eddie's voice..

I hated Pearl Jam in the nineties when that whole "Grunge" thing was crappening......I continue to not understand why people dig that sound.....they're all talented musicians, I'd never take that away from them.....I just can't stand it

I hated Pearl Jam in the nineties when that whole "Grunge" thing was crappening......I continue to not understand why people dig that sound.....they're all talented musicians, I'd never take that away from them.....I just can't stand it

They definitely are talented and the bulk of the bands from the grunge wave were in their own rite. The timing was right and I'm sure it was a blast while it was fresh. Definitely dug Alice In Chains for like 2 weeks when I was 14 but shit... dishing out 150-200 bucks for Pearl Jam 20 while you've probably just turned 20 in 2012? Dunno mang..

They definitely are talented and the bulk of the bands from the grunge wave were in their own rite. The timing was right and I'm sure it was a blast while it was fresh. Definitely dug Alice In Chains for like 2 weeks when I was 14 but shit... dishing out 150-200 bucks for Pearl Jam 20 while you've probably just turned 20 in 2012? Dunno mang..

agreed.

off-topic....was Sha Sha pressed to vinyl?

agreed.

off-topic....was Sha Sha pressed to vinyl?

Yup. A few hundred promotional copies or something like that. A repress would be tight. Lotta good memories with that rekkad

I grew up in the Nineties (elemetery/middle school/and early high school graduated in '01)....i hated it, I didn't find "Punk" music until like 8th grade year, by accident...all I knew was MTV, and I hated everything except for Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, and Bush....in retrospect, now that I know there was really rad shit happening in the 90's, I just didn't know about it until afterwards. Make fun all you want, but accidentally catching Blink-182 perform "Damnit" on MTV's Oddville one night at like 2 in the morning opened me up to a ton of music....one of my buddies had made me listen to like Blanks 77 and a few other punk bands on a school trip and it was just too much at that time, finding a middle ground band to break me into (what I deam as) decent music was like opening up pandora's box....i started grabbing everything from that guy, and using all of my families AOL minutes (yeah....AOL minutes) researching more about this music I didn't know existed, but had been going on since before I existed.

and seriously, I know nobody on this board (or at maximum...veeeery few of you dig this)....jam-bands like Dave Matthews Band, Phish, String Cheese Incident, M.O.E., O.A.R., Widespread Panic....What...The....Fuck....how is that enjoyable for anybody? I don't want to pay money to watch a professional band practice on stage in front of people, play the song and let it be....I'm all for some improv jazz, but this is like, they know exactly what they're going to play, it seems rehearsed and I guess the audience is too fucked up on whatever new drug the kids enjoy to realize they've been watching this show for 2+ hours, but the band only played 3 fucking songs....again, talented musicians, don't understand the music

speaking of one of the Ben's....just saw on the Org that Ben Folds' Five is reuniting and making a new record.....I'm going to add Ben Folds to this list....am I hearing the same voice as everybody else, that whiny nasally voice???

and while on the subject of nasally whiny sounding Piano players....Something Corporate/whatever his horrible other band is that I can't remember this second.....holy hell, stab my ears with rock hard boners for the rest of my life instead of hearing his voice....I literally can't stand my singing voice (so I don't sing anymore), this guys voice, This guy alone, has the only voice on the planet (that I've heard thusfar) that actually bugs me more than my own singing voice. what the hell do people hear in this guys music?