PO - If These Trees Could Talk - Red Forrest 2/2

I see both sides to this guys argument, maybe going a little rough on it via the forums, but I'd be bummed too. If it were a 7 seconds record or something, fuck it, play it loud. Being a post rock record where all those little pops stick out, especially when it's quiet, it totally pulls me away from the music, so I get why there is cause for concern here. I played my copy last night, seemed a little poppy/crackly as well. Now that the house is completely empty, I'm gonna listen to both sides and then throw on a couple of other records that are 180gr, black and see if it's my player or the record. I'll get to those photos at some point as well.

SOS - if you want, feel free to ship me a test so I can take a listen to that and see how it sounds on my setup :)

okay, my splatter copy pops way more than my red, that's for sure. But I did notice at the end of track one, as the song is fading out, there is a set of three pops that occur in the same spot as the record comes around. There is a very similar set of pops on my red copy as well, not quite as loud, but still there at what seems like the same spot at the end of the track.

It is what it is, kinda of unfortunate, but I guess I'll wait for another press down the road with a better attention to detail I suppose. I own worse off records, so I'll deal...

my Temp Res Burning Off Impurities 1st press has heaps of noise.

my red Red Forest arrived today. Yeah, it is a bit crackly and pops occasionally, but it seems more random (ie doesn't always crackle and pop during quiet sections). i'm not finding any issue with listening to this at all. have bought brand new records (see Grails, Mono...) that have way more noise on first listen.

sounds nice, very full and clear. no inner groove distortion, which is fantastic. crackly here and there, but it IS a vinyl record. come to expect that. saying again though, it does not ruin the listening at all.

I know you've all have patiently been waiting, sitting by your computer on pins and needles for some type of answer...

The second press has already been ordered and in production for quite some time now. Thus, we're not cutting a new lacquer or anything else that we have been suggested (or told to do). Sorry if you're not happy with that answer. We're not Hot Topic (sorry Travis, not trying to throw you in the mix here) where we can simply "fix" something after production has started, as it was said we do.

And for the record, I have never said anything about putting out a faulty press. I don't appreciate words being put in my mouth or having an email between two people posted to message board 1 minute after it's sent either.

Looking forward to see where this one goes.

Being a pirates press record, I think every one of us fuckers need to put these records in the dish washer and clean the piss of them, lol. I know for a fact that pirates press ships some of the "dirtiest" records ever, full of little particles. So do yourself a favor and make sure these babies are sparkly clean!

some of my temporary residence albums pop a lot. a couple of my EITS albums are really bad...

yep. all my EITS on black vinyl pop and the vinyl looks flawed in spots. not a huge bummer since i got most of them for $5 or so, but still it's just mildly annoying to listen to quiet, instrumental music with lots of popping or the scrape on every spin. pretty much all splatter records i've had that issue with on the inner grooves, i don't know if i'm alone in that. i can see why Dead Format had made such a big deal out of "fuck splatter vinyl". looks cool, sounds meh.

overall, i think this record sounds awesome despite the little parts of the first half of side A. i'm surprised it clears up, usually the crackle is pretty consistent throughout. side B sounded perfect to me though.

very admirable for you to come in and speak to the masses. mine is fine but I know some are bothered. like many have said, people need to calm down, and realize bigger problems exist out there.

that being said I agree I have heard rumors of pirates press records having sand on them. give it a proper cleaning and enjoy the music. listened to mine again tonight and did not even notice anything, probably because I was not trying to hear anything. I have many many worse records.

Sorry to hear people have been rude or sent demanding emails, pretty crazy. I love the record and the shirt. Best of luck.

You should all realize that labels such as SOS give you pressing information as a courtesy - we're not obligated to do so. We do it because we're vinyl collectors like the rest of you.

While some of the members on here can be so brutally honest, we take what you say into consideration for future releases.

No matter how you feel about Red Forest or any other release we have/will put out, we appreciate your feedback and support.

as expected, tons of surface noise and pops on this metallic gold Tertia repress. 3 Pirates Press.
really? mine wasn't too bad when i spun it the other day.

yep. i don't really care for any metallic color vinyl. Pirates Press i think are normally the only plant that do them. something about their actual vinyl material they use to press seems to cause more friction on the playing surface, or something. this sounds crazy, but there are records you run the carbon fiber brush over to clean the surface before playing and it's a smooth wipe. other records you can tell there's a good amount of friction on the brush and it tends to pull harder on the bristles when running it across. i've always heard more surface noise from their records, especially the opaque, metallic colors or haze ones. their records somehow seem to look more "plastic" than most US pressings too.

i'm probably just crazy, but i notice this mundane crap.

and speaking of TRL, time to throw on the new Turing Machine! ;D

No matter how you feel about Red Forest or any other release we have/will put out, we appreciate your feedback and support.

hey, any label that puts out records by bands i like, i'm all for it. keep it up, i'm envious. i wish i had the funds or enough willpower to stop buying records for a year in order to afford it :-/ i do think some people are overreacting to the small lapse of communication for a couple days, it's a miracle you're here responding to any of these rants at all. it has to be frustrating to hear any complaints with your releases. i've seen some brutal comments on the last 2 releases.

if i could find that Constants record in my collection right now, i'd throw it on. it's currently lost in the abyss with all the other spineless jackets. :(

SOS could make 8 pressings of this record & I'd still buy them all. The music is so good, I just need to own all of it. I need to try giving the record a good cleaning and hopefully that'll fix the pops. But even if not, I'll still be happy and spin this endless times.

As someone said before, I would also gladly take a test press just for comparisons sake :)

Maybe someone would be willing to try the wood glue method, see if that pulls all the fine dust that usually cause pirate press records to sound bad out.

Got mine today. Record arrived in decent shape, there was a bit of a crease in the top left corner of the jacket and some minor seam splits on the inner sleeve but nothing terrible. The record sounds really good and I haven't noticed an abnormally large amount of popping, just the odd one here or there. That's vinyl.

The record (red swirl) is definitely one of the prettiest I own and the T-shirt is awesome.