Mondo Prints

Yeah see I'm not a huge fan of that film so it made it hard to like the print. A few friends and I rewatched it a few months ago and I think half of us fell asleep. Wasn't as cool as it seemed when I was a kid. Now if they did a Red Sonja one I'd buy that one quick. I ran out of wall space awhile ago so I double/triple up the prints in the frames. I'll put several in the frame and whenever I want to change what's on the wall I'll just move one to the back. Makes things more interesting :D

Just started to form some interest in Tyler Stout's work. I had no idea there was a thread on here dedicated to this type of stuff. What exactly is "mondo"? Is he another artist or is it just a website where different prints go up? Need to start buying less vinyl and start buying more screen prints. These are real nice.

Mondo is a site. Actually, it's a brand. A dream for someone who wants to make a quick buck. For some reason it blew up and now every print sells out in a matter of minutes, and within an hour 15% of the run is on ebay for at least triple the price. And those listings actually sell.

But basically they license a ton of movies and get some really great artists to do the posters.

^^^ Pretty much this ^^^

They started as a t-shirt print company based in one of the Alamo Drafthouse's in Austin, TX. They started doing posters a few years ago and have just been gaining momentum and popularity over the 3 or so years but just in the last year have they REALLY gained a lot of attention. Ever since they started doing the Rolling Roadshow and the Mystery Movie events they've just blown up.

They do super limited runs of prints at a really high quality (print, paper, artist etc.) and they are just super collectible right now. Just recently they started dabbling into vinyl and they do VHS tapes here and there as well.

These are pretty great. Where do you guys usually go to frame them? I have a couple of screen prints that I've been meaning to frame and I was thinking of just going to Michael's. I believe they have their own frame shop there for custom orders.

Custom framing is so expensive. I long ago began cutting my own mattes and if needed using photo corners to mount my own. I buy nice frames and it all looks sharp as can be and costs about 80% less of what my custom jobbers have run me.

The Mole People poster is still up and I confess to liking it. The 13 poster was gone in a flash as usual. They have some great ones coming soon though.

I thought Mole People was the best of the bunch today. If I could justify the price for a poster from a movie I've seen maybe a clip or two from I would've bought it.

Also, how often do these prints show up? Once a month / every two weeks? These are all done by separate artists correct?

Random...sometimes they do a weekly drop...sometimes twice a week...sometimes just once a month. Depending on if they have a print series going on like Pixar and Disney right now...or special screenings at the theaters.

Best bet is to follow their Twitter and FB for updates and info on any new prints and going-ons.

Got my Hawkeye print yesterday, looks 10x better in person. Also, for those discussing framing...if you're not too worried about matting (I prefer concert/movie posters without it) I recommend the poster frames from places like Hobby Lobby or Michaels.

Hobby Lobby has theirs for 50% off regularly, so I snagged a 24x36 last night for $25. If they aren't on sale you can get a 40% off coupon from their website. The model I always get is called the "Exhibition." They have a couple of different styles, and they come in black, brown, and white typically.

In terms of framing, anyone know anything about UV Glass? I got off the phone with some dude from Michael's and I asked for a rough estimate on how much a (custom) frame would run me for some prints that I have that I've been meaning to frame for some time now. He told me that their custom frames usually run for 200 bucks, after their 50% discount (which is pretty much valid all the time)

He basically explained why it's so much and claimed that they make their frames with UV Glass and that basically prevents any light that ever hits the frame to not deteriorate / damage the print.

Any recommendations for some more economic-friendly frames?

cheapest way to frame stuff is to get the ones off the shelf at their 50% off discount instead of custom framing. there's a pretty wide selection but it sucks when you can't find the size you need. doing those sectional frames can be cheaper--and they've told me before that if you go to someplace like lowe's or home depot you can get glass cheaper there. using a matte can help if the frame is bigger than the poster.