Anyone ever leave a full time job with benefits...

Anyone ever leave a full time job with full benefits/insurance for a less secure job?

So I've been working at an insurance company for about 4 years now, in a filing position. I hate it, but we have full benefits, and a couple weeks paid vacation.

I had an interview for a job this morning to work for a pool company, doing service work on pools from basically April - November. After November, I've been told, I would be let go for 6 weeks, then re-hired for next year.

I'm having a real tough time deciding what I want to do. I do know that at my current job, we are losing all overtime in a few weeks, and we've been told we will not be getting any kind of bonus this November.

This new job will be hard work, outside all day throughout the summer.

Any thoughts?

Me, personally, I would suggest staying with the secure job. Then again, it depends on what kind of lifestyle you live, and what type of debts you have.

If you've got any sort of mortgage or car payments that you're barely able to make now, I would recommend keeping the steady, salaried, full-time job. Do you currently have health benefits too?

benefits are worth so so much more than most people think.

one relatively minor accident and a couple days in the hospital would completely wipe out any savings you had and throw you into crazy debt without insurance.

also, i never get a bonus at my job. or overtime. you are not alone!

This advice is coming from a 23 year old who has skipped between jobs for the last 2 years since graduating college, and who has avoided any real life commitments.

If you don't have kids or anything of the sort relying on you, I'd say quit. I know it sounds unrealistically idealistic, but find something that makes you happy. I'm not deluded enough to think that every person can get their dream job, but I don't think it's impossible to find something as simple as a company that you enjoy working for, or a job that fulfills you in some way. My biggest fear in life is spending 40 years of it being completely unhappy 5 days a week for a paycheck and a little security.

I know older people think it's an immature attitude, but I'm at least going to give it a go before I commit myself to a career that I don't like, but am too afraid to quit.

This advice is coming from a 23 year old who has skipped between jobs for the last 2 years since graduating college, and who has avoided any real life commitments.

If you don't have kids or anything of the sort relying on you, I'd say quit. I know it sounds unrealistically idealistic, but find something that makes you happy. I'm not deluded enough to think that every person can get their dream job, but I don't think it's impossible to find something as simple as a company that you enjoy working for, or a job that fulfills you in some way. My biggest fear in life is spending 40 years of it being completely unhappy 5 days a week for a paycheck and a little security.

I know older people think it's an immature attitude, but I'm at least going to give it a go before I commit myself to a career that I don't like, but am too afraid to quit.

I'd agree with you, but changing from file clerk to pool cleaner isn't exactly shooting for the stars. It probably sucks as much as any other job.

Ok, so here's some more info.

I'm 27, the only debt I have is on my car loan (About $260/month) and about $700 on a credit card. My rent is about $400 a month. The money isn't the big factor in this, its more about being happy at this point.

The benefits are full health/dental/vision, and I also have my car insurance through our company.

Our department within the department consist of 3 people. Our small department was absorbed by a larger department a couple months ago. Since then we have been presented with projects with unrealistic deadlines, forcing the 3 of us to work suggested 11-12 hour days to get these projects finished by the deadline. Along with this we have been told that we will have our jobs for a while longer, but no guarantees on any timeline. It could be a couple months, it could be a couple years. My boss is a real piece of work, last week I caught her forging her time card, and this wasn't the first occasion.

Looking at the whole situation, I agree that it would be stupid to toss all the benefits aside, but on the other hand, I work with crappy people, doing something I don't care about one bit, kind of stuck in a position with little to no room for growth.

A-Money! - I realize a lot of people don't get a bonus or overtime, and frankly I'm happy to have a steady job. It's kind of like Christmas Vacation, when Clark gets the jelly of the month club instead of the bonus, when you get accustomed to something, then its taken away, it just kind of sucks.

Thanks to anyone who has responded so far, you've all been saying what I've been thinking for the most part, but the input from others is appreciated.

*Edit*

About the pool company, from what I've been told, and what I've found from my own research, they are the top of the top of the line pool company in the area. Only building custom in ground pools, only servicing in ground pools. I don't know much about this going into it. A friend of mine from high school told me about the opening, and thats how all this got started. I don't mind the hard work aspect of the job, part of it is, I just want to get out of the cubicle farm.

Anyone ever leave a full time job with full benefits/insurance for a less secure job?

So I've been working at an insurance company for about 4 years now, in a filing position. I hate it, but we have full benefits, and a couple weeks paid vacation.

I had an interview for a job this morning to work for a pool company, doing service work on pools from basically April - November. After November, I've been told, I would be let go for 6 weeks, then re-hired for next year.

I'm having a real tough time deciding what I want to do. I do know that at my current job, we are losing all overtime in a few weeks, and we've been told we will not be getting any kind of bonus this November.

This new job will be hard work, outside all day throughout the summer.

Any thoughts?

I'd stay with your current gig, but if you do end up going with the pool gig make sure you get that whole "laid off for 6 months, then rehire you" bit in WRITING..

You would hate to have them treat this like a trial period and not inform you of that explicitly.. Then find yourself not being rehired for whatever reason and be out of work

My biggest fear in life is spending 40 years of it being completely unhappy 5 days a week for a paycheck and a little security.

This is the exact same fear I have always had and even tell others.

I have the salary and benefits and the whole she-bang, but I enjoy my job a lot. I studied in school what I found interesting, I am working in a department I wanted to and enjoy, etc etc.

Maybe you can find another M-F type of job that fits you better and is something you may enjoy a lot more? Or maybe work in the oilfield, depending on where you live, it is a great industry to get in and move up. Lots of stuff out there and do not limit yourself to just the pool job unless that is what you really see yourself doing.

if your department was just absorbed, tough it out for a while longer. restructuring in companies of any size takes time to flesh out and feel normal again. if your department was restructured, i assume other departments are moving around too. give it a little more time to settle, and in the mean time look for something else that will be a more reliable position. i mean, if there is serious restructuring going on, you might be able to find a position elsewhere in the company that's more appealing. also, before you make a final decision, i recommend airing your grievances to your supervisor. you'd be surprised what you can accomplish. at the very least, keeping you saves them the trouble of hiring to fill the position. if there's no give, make the jump. being laid off all winter is going to suck, though.

I did it in October, 3 weeks later, was in the hospital in horrible pains, found out I need to get my gallbladder out. Still don't have benefits, still have to get my gallbladder out.. I get like 3 full nights of sleep a week. I wish I would have stuck out my horrible job that I truly hated just a bit longer.

That's how companies trap you... benefits so you feel like you CAN'T leave them.

Other jobs have benefits, too. I don't know that jumping to a pool servicing job would be ideal, but you'll find another job if you need one. Be happy. You can work your whole life suffering every day so that maybe when you're 65 you can enjoy it, or you can enjoy it the whole time.

Me? I know I don't have a family to support or anything, but I teach, coach, and work at an ice rink (all part time jobs so no full benefits). I would take this and it's erratic hours every chance I could because I love it. I worked in an office and wanted to commit suicide.