Tom Gabel Sex Change...

and fuck anyone who cares more about what the band will sound like now. that is not important at all.
What if someone was so unaffected by this news because it shouldn't be an issue of whether or not the singer identifies as a man or a woman?

My thought process on all this was:

"Wow, I imagine that's tough to do. Hmm, I wonder what the vocals will sound like in the future. Why did he drop Gabel and adopt Grace as a last name?"

I don't give a shit if the singer is transgendered. I care how the band sounds and what their content is, and I can't think of tons of female vocalists I listen to regularly enough to say I'm a big fan.

And while everyone is pointing out the lyrics to "Ocean", what about "Searching for a Former Clarity"?

"And in the journal you kept by the side of your bed

You wrote nightly an aspiration of developing as an author

Confessing childhood secrets of dressing up in women's clothes

Compulsions you never knew the reasons to"

"Because this is the first time a major rock star has come out as transgender, the singer made a point of speaking openly about it."

i was going to call this out as completely false, but it looks like the rest of you already did that.

gotta sensationalize that story.

apparently, the vocalist / guitarist of the band cretin (that has released records on relapse) did the same thing back in 2007 / 2008. i realize that AM! is a much bigger band, but between that and life of agony's singer (who you could argue was, at least at one time, as big as AM! - if not bigger) - it sure seems like someone over there didnt do much research, but why should i be surprised?

Apparently I'm the only person that thinks it's weird that Rolling Stone is the one breaking this news? I figured it would have just been a Tweet or something that people would have passed off as a joke until they went to catch the next AM! show.....and then an interview with whomever to finally confirm.

I support Laura and Heather, hope for the best

Laura wants to continue Against Me! and her career in this business. She knows this is going to be a huge shock to her fans and instead of leaving anything to speculation she just came out and is controlling the message. She wants to remain at the front of a public band and has given every bit of appropriate information.

I think she handled it perfectly to be honest. No speculation, just facts and truth.

I can't believe that in one day we have someone meaningful to a lot of young people opening up this conversation to many for the first time while we have NC passing a constitutional amendment to ban marriage equality. We have a long way to go in this country, a really long way and I appreciate someone like Laura doing this publicly despite the potential pain it causes. Anything that de-stigmatizes homosexuality, transgender etc is worthwhile in a Nation that has Evangelicals openly paying for the executions of homosexuals in Uganda and denying civil rights here in our own country. This world is really screwed up on this subject and it's going to be our generation and the one after us that fixes this freaking mess and understanding is the place to begin.

I think I may have missed my point or been vague. Against Me is no longer a punk band....done, understood, no discussion. But they still seem to be pretty anti-THE MAN so to speak....so I find it odd that the interview was done by Rolling Stone rather than any other media outlet/news source. Maybe other view it differently, but to me Rolling Stone is the magazine equivalent of Clear Channel......the outlet of this news shocks me as much as the news itself......nobody else seems to think it's strange that it was announced in the largest music magazine. I mean, i guess it gets the news out to everybody quickly and it's somewhat reputable as a source for most people......I would have rather it been announced via their website or twitter or something along those lines.

again, fully support Laura and Heather and the rest of Against Me! as well, just find it an odd outlet to announce this....seems Fox New-esque to me.

I cant remember if it was Wall Street Journal or Washington Post or something, but it also was done with them as well, not just Rolling Stone. They just posted the article first.

that makes more sense to me. all i've seen is Rolling Stone stuff, which struck me as odd.....as noted in ungodly wordy post...

http://www.jbtvonline.com/interviews/again...-concept-albums

Interview with Brendan Kelly from 2 years ago

this links to a Hush Sound interview?

i'm interested in seeing the video you're talking about tho.

had the same problem. search against me on there and go to page 2, it says discuss concept albums and something else

this links to a Hush Sound interview?

i'm interested in seeing the video you're talking about tho.

had the same problem. search against me on there and go to page 2, it says discuss concept albums and something else

http://www.jbtvonline.com/interviews/against-me-identity-and-concept-albums

there.

awkward indeed.

and fuck anyone who cares more about what the band will sound like now. that is not important at all.
What if someone was so unaffected by this news because it shouldn't be an issue of whether or not the singer identifies as a man or a woman?

My thought process on all this was:

"Wow, I imagine that's tough to do. Hmm, I wonder what the vocals will sound like in the future. Why did he drop Gabel and adopt Grace as a last name?"

I don't give a shit if the singer is transgendered. I care how the band sounds and what their content is, and I can't think of tons of female vocalists I listen to regularly enough to say I'm a big fan.

And while everyone is pointing out the lyrics to "Ocean", what about "Searching for a Former Clarity"?

"And in the journal you kept by the side of your bed

You wrote nightly an aspiration of developing as an author

Confessing childhood secrets of dressing up in women's clothes

Compulsions you never knew the reasons to"

you can pray all night and day, but you'll always wake the same person in the same place.

I care how the band sounds and what their content is, and I can't think of tons of female vocalists I listen to regularly enough to say I'm a big fan.

You are missing out on some great music...sucks for you I guess.

First. World. Problems. ::)

Haha, fair enough.

Edit: Relevant to the discussion...

"In my opinion, gender-variance is not a mental illness, but is instead a normal variation. We sometimes forget that just because something is less common, that does not mean that is it abnormal or unhealthy. Our ideas about gender norms and roles make it very easy for us to jump to the conclusion that those who don’t fit our stereotypes are mentally ill, but that is only because it is easier than challenging our own assumptions about gender. Long before we are born, the world is preparing for our entrance in blue or pink. When it takes inhuman strength to reject the innumerable labels and expectations placed on us based on our sex, is there something wrong with us or with society?"

-Dr. Laura Erickson-Schroth

Go ahead and marinate on that one VC.

Haha, fair enough.

Edit: Relevant to the discussion...

"In my opinion, gender-variance is not a mental illness, but is instead a normal variation. We sometimes forget that just because something is less common, that does not mean that is it abnormal or unhealthy. Our ideas about gender norms and roles make it very easy for us to jump to the conclusion that those who don’t fit our stereotypes are mentally ill, but that is only because it is easier than challenging our own assumptions about gender. Long before we are born, the world is preparing for our entrance in blue or pink. When it takes inhuman strength to reject the innumerable labels and expectations placed on us based on our sex, is there something wrong with us or with society?"

-Dr. Laura Erickson-Schroth

Go ahead and marinate on that one VC.

lol, I couldn't care less about him wanting to live life as a woman, Maybe I would feel different if it was a band I actually liked, I used to dig their stuff. I wonder if I would be so indifferent if I still liked AM! I would probably post one of those posts that like everyone in this thread has said about how "good for him" it is and whatever. This will probably have no negative effect on their real fan base since the pc bleeding heart crowd isn't the type to dump an artist over this sort of thing.