Tom Gabel Sex Change...

Iron Maiden, Judas Priest...

Iron maiden?

yeah judas priest i always had doubt, especially because their suits are huge cockrings but you never know.. they couldve been poorly dressed bikers from the england. Iron maiden though i had never heard that so i googled it and the only thing that really came out other than people running their mouths is that apparently the singer revealed at one point that he was bisexual.

Not much to say, much love to Laura. Always great to see someone who has fame come out and be open about something like this. By them going out and doing it it makes it easier for others. I live 5 minutes away from one of the top Hospitals in the country for gender reassignement, in Neenah, WI. (I guess it might not be considered that anymore because I think the primary doctor doing it retired but it's still up there)

Tangential but related. There is a well respected and highly thought of baseball writer that is openly transsexual. She was one of the co-founders of Baseball Prospectus and is now working for espn.com as a writer and editor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_Kahrl

And I thought the biggest news story I would wake up to today was how NC took a giant dump on itself. I've got nothing but respect for Laura. I could not imagine having to live with that internal battle for so long, broadcast it to the world, and the punk rock world, nonetheless, for whom you've already been bombarded for what now seems like much more trivial nonesense.

She's one of the most respected people out there, in my book. Congratulations on finding yourself!

Not much to say, much love to Laura. Always great to see someone who has fame come out and be open about something like this. By them going out and doing it it makes it easier for others. I live 5 minutes away from one of the top Hospitals in the country for gender reassignement, in Neenah, WI. (I guess it might not be considered that anymore because I think the primary doctor doing it retired but it's still up there)

Tangential but related. There is a well respected and highly thought of baseball writer that is openly transsexual. She was one of the co-founders of Baseball Prospectus and is now working for espn.com as a writer and editor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_Kahrl

I never knew that about Kahrl, but I have always enjoyed her work with Baseball Prospectus and on ESPN. One of the better baseball writers around.

i'm all for people being true to themselves/doing what they need to feel personally fulfilled.

i think i have as much respect for laura's wife in regards to this news as i do for her, because i can't even imagine how difficult it would be to have the person you married drop this news on you. so good for her for staying with her.

another question; i'm not sure where they live, but how would this affect the legality of their marriage, and the guardianship of their child once the gender reassignment is complete?

i'm all for people being true to themselves/doing what they need to feel personally fulfilled.

i think i have as much respect for laura's wife in regards to this news as i do for her, because i can't even imagine how difficult it would be to have the person you married drop this news on you. so good for her for staying with her.

another question; i'm not sure where they live, but how would this affect the legality of their marriage, and the guardianship of their child once the gender reassignment is complete?

would it change at all?

technically, he is still a guy. still has male DNA.

Apparently I'm the only person that thinks it's weird that Rolling Stone is the one breaking this news? I figured it would have just been a Tweet or something that people would have passed off as a joke until they went to catch the next AM! show.....and then an interview with whomever to finally confirm.

I support Laura and Heather, hope for the best

and fuck anyone who cares more about what the band will sound like now. that is not important at all.

+1...or should I -1 to keep the magnitude larger?

Apparently I'm the only person that thinks it's weird that Rolling Stone is the one breaking this news? I figured it would have just been a Tweet or something that people would have passed off as a joke until they went to catch the next AM! show.....and then an interview with whomever to finally confirm.

I support Laura and Heather, hope for the best

Laura wants to continue Against Me! and her career in this business. She knows this is going to be a huge shock to her fans and instead of leaving anything to speculation she just came out and is controlling the message. She wants to remain at the front of a public band and has given every bit of appropriate information.

I think she handled it perfectly to be honest. No speculation, just facts and truth.

I can't believe that in one day we have someone meaningful to a lot of young people opening up this conversation to many for the first time while we have NC passing a constitutional amendment to ban marriage equality. We have a long way to go in this country, a really long way and I appreciate someone like Laura doing this publicly despite the potential pain it causes. Anything that de-stigmatizes homosexuality, transgender etc is worthwhile in a Nation that has Evangelicals openly paying for the executions of homosexuals in Uganda and denying civil rights here in our own country. This world is really screwed up on this subject and it's going to be our generation and the one after us that fixes this freaking mess and understanding is the place to begin.

would it change at all?

but won't she legally be a female? as in, changed sex on drivers license, etc.

again, i'm not well versed in the technicalities of transgender issues, so now i'm just blindly speculating.

would it change at all?

but won't she legally be a female? as in, changed sex on drivers license, etc.

again, i'm not well versed in the technicalities of transgender issues, so now i'm just blindly speculating.

you have to do that legal stuff pretty much anywhere in order to get under the knife. although, in California you seem to be able to do anything to your body if you have the money. There is one thing i learned recently, its coming to canada next year i think and its in the US already or only some states, your license gets an X instead M or F for sex. I wonder if it changes anything to the legal status and who you can marry.