Urban Outfitters Exclusive Vinyl & Sale Discussion

This is just my opinion and I am not trying to start a debate or anything...but sadly I will NEVER BUY ANOTHER RECORD from UO again! 

Due to the fact they rip off independent artists ideas and then sell them at a mass level...some of you may have seen the recent post where a local artist makes and sells necklaces of countries/states with a heart of where you are from....she had an etsy store....UO saw it and duplicated it and now sells them to the masses....

I just want people to know that if you care about this kind of thing, think twice about buying vinyl from them (or anything for that matter)....if you could care less they rip people (struggling artists) off in various was....its your choice...buy away! Everyone is entitled to their opinion....but I merely wanted to just give some awareness that is all! 

But just want those to be aware...that is all...end of discussion :) no need for further comments...I dont want to start anything.... breaks my heart...as I do enjoy collecting variants...

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this in a past post, but Neon Indian - Era Extrana had a UO release on translucent coke bottle green back in 2011. 

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=23713415

http://www.discogs.com/Neon-Indian-Era-Extra%C3%B1a/release/3335818

Yup! I've got a copy

Two questions:

1) I snagged a copy of CHVRCHES at Urban today but I haven't opened it yet. No "exclusive" sticker on front... are they ALL red if purchased at Urban? I already have a black so I don't want to open another one...

2) What makes some UO exclusives so much more sought after than others? M83, Father John Misty, Bon Iver... those fetch crazy prices. Regina Spektor, Feist, Twin Shadow... you can find those at most UO still kickin' around. What's the deal? 

Do Urban ever do multiple colours for a record? I bought a copy of "Why There Are Mountains" by Cymbals Eat Guitars off an eBay seller and the record is yellow. I'm fairly certain the listing mentioned it was an Urban Outfitters exclusive colour but it was so long ago and I haven't been able to dig up any other information on the pressing. 

Do Urban ever do multiple colours for a record? I bought a copy of "Why There Are Mountains" by Cymbals Eat Guitars off an eBay seller and the record is yellow. I'm fairly certain the listing mentioned it was an Urban Outfitters exclusive colour but it was so long ago and I haven't been able to dig up any other information on the pressing. 

They did like three different colors of the Yo Gabba Gabba record

This is just my opinion and I am not trying to start a debate or anything...but sadly I will NEVER BUY ANOTHER RECORD from UO again! 

Due to the fact they rip off independent artists ideas and then sell them at a mass level...some of you may have seen the recent post where a local artist makes and sells necklaces of countries/states with a heart of where you are from....she had an etsy store....UO saw it and duplicated it and now sells them to the masses....

I just want people to know that if you care about this kind of thing, think twice about buying vinyl from them (or anything for that matter)....if you could care less they rip people (struggling artists) off in various was....its your choice...buy away! Everyone is entitled to their opinion....but I merely wanted to just give some awareness that is all! 

But just want those to be aware...that is all...end of discussion :) no need for further comments...I dont want to start anything.... breaks my heart...as I do enjoy collecting variants...

Yo you couldn't be further from the truth. (I'm not coming at you aggressively just want to shed some light on you with the fashion industry) It's always been copy and paste just like music essentially. But here's how UO and other retailers work. They have a group of "buyers" these buyers choose and select from distributors and simply put they pick the most trendiest "brands"/"stuff" They don't literally manufacture things even if it says UO on it. That world is all a "buyers" market.

Two questions:

1) I snagged a copy of CHVRCHES at Urban today but I haven't opened it yet. No "exclusive" sticker on front... are they ALL red if purchased at Urban? I already have a black so I don't want to open another one...

2) What makes some UO exclusives so much more sought after than others? M83, Father John Misty, Bon Iver... those fetch crazy prices. Regina Spektor, Feist, Twin Shadow... you can find those at most UO still kickin' around. What's the deal? 

1. CHVRCHES should be red - got my copy in today and it is.

2. My guess is popularity of those bands and the album which they pressed. Hurry Up, We're Dreaming, Bon Iver and Fear Fun were all great albums put out by hipster bands that people who shop at UO love. So the demand is going to be greater than Regina Spektor or Feist - just my two cents.

Two questions:

I picked up a copy at Urban in SF today and it is red. No "exclusive" sticker on the front but there is a big black sticker that wasn't on the original album I purchased months ago on Amazon. 

That Cymbals Eat Guitars UO exclusive was on red, blue and yellow. There's someone else on Discogs that has a yellow copy. Mine is blue.

Good question I always wondered how the Twin Shadow and Toro Y Moi never sold out compared to the ones you mentioned.

Some bands are more popular than others #plottwist 

Good question I always wondered how the Twin Shadow and Toro Y Moi never sold out compared to the ones you mentioned.

If any of the UO exclusives deserved to sell out, it's those two. Those are both phenomenal records. Anything In Return is probably going to be in my personal 2013 Top 10.

That being said, I still need to get a copy, but still can't justify paying $10 shipping and live just far away enough from a UO to where it's completely inconvenient for me to go unless I'm visiting home for the weekend.