Ban on cell phones at shows

Just out of curiosity what are your thoughts on this idea ? I'm all for it really anymore i'm completely fed up with Bright blue screens obscuring my view at any given moment.

As someone who likes to take photos (i won't give my self the liberty of the title photographer yet) I can completely understand the want to take photos i get that. It would be cool if they would implement some kind of rule like cameras for the first 3 songs of each band. In reality I know that will never work. the nice thing about GA is you don't have to stay in one set place but lets be realistic no matter where you go sure enough...

I think last night when I went to see louis ck in cleveland is what just really irked me.

I was a row behind these two drunk bro dudes just being obnoxious as shit repeating some of his lines loudly, clapping/laughing way after the joke and whipping out the cell texting/taking pics the entire set. Every single person around them was entirely pissed even after 3 people scolded them they didn't stop. someone went and told the seating host nothing happend.

Not really a hinderance to me but I also remember when I went and saw frank turner and this couple just sat there the entire show and texted or looked at apps. WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU HERE ? the show was sold out and someone who actually wanted to see the show could have went.

Ultimately emergencies require you to have a cell phone but i mean is it really that hard to keep that shit on viberate & go to the back of the venue/bathroom ?

i dont care about people just using their phones.

its the fucking morons who spend an entire show taking shitty indistinguishable pictures. or shitty 30 second inaudible videos.

put down your fucking phone and watch the show nooowwwwww. it wont be 1/10000th as good later when you upload it on to facebook for your friends to see... your friends who probably have no idea who this band is because your friends are assholes with shitty taste.

ok so i'm wrong for being pissed that i shelled out $45 for a ticket to hear some jackass and his buddy act like 12 year olds and have to see their cellphone in my face the entire show it's not like i was seeing it in peripheral . Seating arrangements are different you can't just get up & move to another seat.

I just don't understand why it's so hard to focus your attention on something YOU paid for I mean isn't that kind of why you're there ?

i saw a show last year where the *opening band* made a stink before they started playing about everyone putting their phones away. they were a bunch of guys in their 40s, so it came off as crotchety. but i had to agree.

Couldn't agree more. Too many idiots at shows nowadays just to get drunk and wave their stupid phones in the air. When it consistently gets in the way of others' view its out of line. Btw - seeing Louis CK tomorrow....how was the show otherwise?

His material was excellent as always and all new material which is also nice. I would have no problem paying to see him again he's very humble.

I'm just saying part of a show is being around other people, seeing them do stupid shit, making fun of them, getting drunk, acting stupid, singing at the top of your lungs, meeting a few new people, etc, etc.

If you just want to be in your own little world and hear the songs I suggest concert DVDs. The sound is actually much clearer and you can have 100% control of your atmosphere. Invite a friend over and have them check their cell phone at the door.

I'm just saying part of a show is being around other people, seeing them do stupid shit, making fun of them, getting drunk, acting stupid, singing at the top of your lungs, meeting a few new people, etc, etc.

I totally agree with that i've been going to shows for 10+ years I don't mind people having a good time being hella drunk or even singing along at all. I mean the people conversing so loud that it's distracting to the show.

it's like that drunk guy at the show thats just way past his limit and having a good time ruining everyone elses

I should add my gripe with them being loud when seeing louis ck is because it's kind of a different setting as opposed to seeing a band. You don't have instruments blaring almost continually. Then it's easier to ignore things like that. However this was one guy with a mic in place that seats 2100 people.

I totally agree with that i've been going to shows for 10+ years I don't mind people having a good time being hella drunk or even singing along at all. I mean the people conversing so loud that it's distracting to the show.

it's like that drunk guy at the show thats just way past his limit and having a good time ruining everyone elses

I should add my gripe with them being loud when seeing louis ck is because it's kind of a different setting as opposed to seeing a band. You don't have instruments blaring almost continually. Then it's easier to ignore things like that. However this was one guy with a mic in place that seats 2100 people.

Yeah, I didn't read carefully. My mind kinda brainfarted. I thought you were talking about Andrew WK or whatever that dude's name was.

Admitted, the standard for putting up with stuff is lower at a comedy show than a concert. However, my belief is that if someone is doing something so annoying that it is ruining other people's time (not annoying, but really ruining -- excessive pit violence, so drunk they are falling all over the place) then I get an usher and give them the boot. Things like talking, cell phones, etc (ie annoying but not ruining anyone else's time) are just part of public spectator events.

And this randomly reminded me, the singing hot dog guy at Tigers games has to go! MI people know what I am talking about...

And this randomly reminded me, the singing hot dog guy at Tigers games has to go! MI people know what I am talking about...

My girl and I went to a Tigers game last summer and we didn't think he was for real. We thought he was just some crazy dude who came into the park dressed like that. It was kind of hilarious when he would sing and release the steam from his hot dog container thing.

Aside from that, Comerica is such an amazing ball park, puts the Dome to shame for sure.

Back on the topic of cell phones. Professional photographers are allowed to shoot a band for the first three songs. That's usually the deal. But you have no way to inforce that for fans. I don't mind if you pull out your camera and snap off a picture or two during a set. I do it and so do a lot of other people. It's when people feel the need to record entire songs or sets on their phone that pisses me off/annoys me.

Case in point. I went to see Propagandhi last week and there was this kid who had his Galaxy (huge ass phone) up recording their set. While he wasn't doing that he was taking pictures with a camera. It's really just overkill and becomes quite the distraction for people around you trying to enjoy the set.

Funny enough, years and years ago before we had smart phones (right around when the original RZOR was huge) I went to see Taking Back Sunday and Adam made a crack about how no one just goes to a show to see bands anymore and how every one just goes to take pictures on their cell phone. Which is sort of hilarious because that was 10+ years ago and the problem has just gotten worse.

I tend to find skinny creeps that slither around the stage with a giant camera strapped to their necks more distracting than some kid recording a song on his phone.

Than again I've seen people record sets on fucking iPads.

The only people who watch these videos on YouTube are the people who record them and me when I'm drunk on the Internet.

If you just want to be in your own little world and hear the songs I suggest concert DVDs. The sound is actually much clearer and you can have 100% control of your atmosphere. Invite a friend over and have them check their cell phone at the door.

Not every band has a concert DVD. I can only think of a couple bands that I listen to that do, and I still never watch them. I go to concerts to hear the music live, rather than watch some shitty recording. I don't go to watch/hear a bunch of jerk offs act like they are in highschool while they get fucked up. It is a pain in the ass and really makes me rethink going to 95% of the shows I go to. I guess that is my problem, but fuck concert/club hoppers.

Just out of curiosity what are your thoughts on this idea ? I'm all for it really anymore i'm completely fed up with Bright blue screens obscuring my view at any given moment.

As someone who likes to take photos (i won't give my self the liberty of the title photographer yet) I can completely understand the want to take photos i get that. It would be cool if they would implement some kind of rule like cameras for the first 3 songs of each band. In reality I know that will never work. the nice thing about GA is you don't have to stay in one set place but lets be realistic no matter where you go sure enough...

I think last night when I went to see louis ck in cleveland is what just really irked me.

I was a row behind these two drunk bro dudes just being obnoxious as shit repeating some of his lines loudly, clapping/laughing way after the joke and whipping out the cell texting/taking pics the entire set. Every single person around them was entirely pissed even after 3 people scolded them they didn't stop. someone went and told the seating host nothing happend.

Not really a hinderance to me but I also remember when I went and saw frank turner and this couple just sat there the entire show and texted or looked at apps. WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU HERE ? the show was sold out and someone who actually wanted to see the show could have went.

Ultimately emergencies require you to have a cell phone but i mean is it really that hard to keep that shit on viberate & go to the back of the venue/bathroom ?

Not gunna read through the comments, but I'd like to add that when I saw Aziz he told everyone to take out their cameras/phones now and take a bunch of pictures and then put them away for the rest of the show and anyone taking pictures after that will be asked to leave. It is very possible for a phone ban to work it just takes an artist to step up and a cooperative staff to enforce the rules and a willing crowd.