VC - Who are you voting for in the presidential election?

VC - Who are you voting for next month?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for in the upcoming presidential election?

• Barack Obama (Democrat)
    • Mitt Romney (Republican)
    • Gary Johnson (Libertarian)
    • Jill Stein (Green)
    • Virgil Goode (Constitution)
    • Write-In
    • Not Voting

Explain to my how Romney is terrible for women's rights. He isn't banning birth control. But he says he's not going to hand out things for free which is why we are in the mess we are in. To many handouts across the board which is a problem this country has had since FDR.

And all Romney has said on abortion is he only supports it in rare instances. Never said he should ban it.

During the primary (when he was pretending to be super conversative):

“I would welcome a circumstance where there was such a consensus in this country that we said, we don’t want to have abortion in this country at all, period,” Romney said at the time. “That would be wonderful. I’d be delighted.

Pressed CNN host Anderson Cooper, “The question is: Would you sign that bill?”

“Let me say it. I’d be delighted to sign that bill. But that’s not where we are,” Romney replied. “That’s not where America is today. Where America is ready to overturn Roe v. Wade and return to the states that authority. But if the Congress got there, we had that kind of consensus in that country, terrific.”

He has since toned down this rhetoric since he's a moderate now and will literally do anything to be President. I have no idea if he actually wants to ban abortions or not (I doubt it) but the point is he's said he would if he could. He's also going to repeal the ACA, he's in favor of a consitutional "personhood" amendment, he's going to cut Planned Parenthood.. the list goes on and on.

EDIT: The post below me is better than mine. Read that one.

Explain to my how Romney is terrible for women's rights. He isn't banning birth control. But he says he's not going to hand out things for free which is why we are in the mess we are in. To many handouts across the board which is a problem this country has had since FDR.

And all Romney has said on abortion is he only supports it in rare instances. Never said he should ban it.

Here are the top five things you need to know about Mitt Romney and where he stands on women’s health issues.

1. No matter how much he tries to talk around the issue and run from his record, there’s no avoiding the fact that Mitt Romney opposes access to safe and legal abortion. When asked if he believes the Supreme Court should overturn Roe v. Wade, his answer was simple: “Yes, I do.” When asked if the repeal of Roe would be a good day for America, he responded “Absolutely.”
  2. He announced his support for the Blunt amendment, a bill that was introduced to restrict access to birth control by allowing any employer the right to deny health insurance coverage for any benefit based on a “moral” conviction. Governor Romney is on the wrong side of the public on this issue: 67 percent of American voters opposed this measure. He has aggressively supported this stance, even launching a petition against the Health and Human Services ruling to include birth control as basic preventive care.
  3. If elected, Romney has pledged to repeal the Affordable Care Act “on day one” of his presidency, meaning one of his first acts would be to cut off millions of women and families’ access to affordable preventive care by returning to the days when you could be discriminated against for pre-existing conditions and overturning the no-cost birth control benefit.
  4. Romney supports extreme and sweeping measures like a “personhood” amendment to define life at conception (which could ban common forms of birth control and in some cases, in vitro fertilization) or his belief that states should have the right to ban contraception. Romney once commented that the landmark case of Griswold v. Connecticut — which overruled the state’s right to ban contraception nearly 50 years ago — was wrong, proving just how dangerous he is on women’s health issues.
  5. “The actions I’ll take immediately are to remove funding for Planned Parenthood.” At the end of the day, it’s his own words and actions that count and Romney has made his position more than clear: protecting access to basic preventive care is not what he’s about and he must be held accountable, and must know that women are watching. When asked where he would tell the millions of women to go if he eliminated federal funding for Planned Parenthood, Romney said: “Well they can go wherever they’d like to go. This is a free society.” Seems to us, Romney’s saying women can go wherever they’d like as long as it’s not Planned Parenthood. What Romney fails to understand and what we’re seeing happen in states like Texas and Tennessee is that in certain places Planned Parenthood is the ONLY provider for women. Getting “rid of” Planned Parenthood which he seems so apt to do, is detrimental to the nearly three million patients who rely on their health centers for lifesaving cancer screenings, well-woman exams, and birth control.

I think government has no place in any of these issues in the first place.

And if abortion is legal if the mother doesn't want it where is the male say in it. Last time I checked it took two to tango.

well you're a man, so of course you dont. The idea of a man telling a woman what to do with their body is beyond fucked up. It takes two to tango, but it only affects one person phyiscally.

And if abortion is legal if the mother doesn't want it where is the male say in it. Last time I checked it took two to tango.

when the male has to carry the child to term, along with all the physical and mental effects of that, then we can talk.

http://news.wustl.edu/news/Pages/24334.aspx

Providing birth control to women at no cost substantially reduced unplanned pregnancies and cut abortion rates by a range of 62-78 percent compared to the national rate, a new study shows.

The research, by investigators at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, appears online Oct. 4 in Obstetrics & Gynecology.

Among a range of birth control methods offered in the study, most women chose long-acting methods like intrauterine devices (IUDs) or implants, which have lower failure rates than commonly used birth control pills. In the United States, IUDs and implants have high up-front costs that sometimes aren't covered by health insurance, making these methods unaffordable for many women.

“This study shows that by removing barriers to highly-effective contraceptive methods such as IUDs and implants, we can reduce unintended pregnancies and the need for abortions,” says lead author Jeff Peipert, MD, PhD, the Robert J. Terry Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

Agreed, but that's not the world we live in, is it?

If two people are in a relationship, yes they should talk about it. But until men start carrying children, women should have final say in what they do with their bodies.

EDIT: How do you guys type so much faster than me?

I think the baby what should have a say in what happens to the baby. Honestly I don't think abortion should be legal except in super rare instances. And instead of killing the baby how about instead they let their 'mistake' be someone else's joy by putting the baby up for adoption?

And I have nothing against using any form of Birth Control. In fact I believe you are stupid not to use it if not married and if married unless you want to be like that family with 100 kids on TLC should use it to some extent. I've never have a had sex without any. That's not the point.

As a very terrible Catholic I still respect my churches right to deny providing BC in its healthcare coverage due to its moral beliefs. That's where Romney's terrible record on women's rights comes from. He isn't for just giving away things for free.

I think the baby what should have a say in what happens to the baby. Honestly I don't think abortion should be legal except in super rare instances. And instead of killing the baby how about instead they let their 'mistake' be someone else's joy by putting the baby up for adoption?

And I have nothing against using any form of Birth Control. In fact I believe you are stupid not to use it if not married and if married unless you want to be like that family with 100 kids on TLC should use it to some extent. I've never have a had sex without any. That's not the point.

As a very terrible Catholic I still respect my churches right to deny providing BC in its healthcare coverage due to its moral beliefs. That's where Romney's terrible record on women's rights comes from. He isn't for just giving away things for free.

okay i'll ignore this part, how fetus=/=baby, but anyway (and i am way oversimplifying): because that's 10 months of neonatal visits, your body completely changing, etc and $$$$ that a lot of people don't have. not to mention how pregnancy affects everything else too, like your job, how are you going to get time off to go to the doctor visits you might not be able to pay for, being on your feet all day, etc. and the complications that can arise from pregnancy, too.

i'm also not following on how Romney not wanting to give things away for free == all that shit we showed you above.

Then women should be smart and not be putting dicks in their vaginas. Thats like me saying I dont want to get high but I keep smoking joints, if you dont want something, dont continually do the only thing that causes it to happen. Abortion isnt supposed to be a form of birth control, it is supposed to be used in emergency situations that arise (rape, death of child/mother). Ohh no, your body goes through changes, get over it, you just killed some dudes child, and they may very happily raise that child without any of your support, after all the child is 50% him and 50% you. Get over yourselves and realize it isnt just about you when it comes to abortion.

^^So if you get a girl pregnant, if she doesn't want it you're definitely going to ask her to keep it and then raise it all by yourself right? Get out of here with that bullshit. It's so easy for us males to tell women to suck it up and just birth a kid, right? We definitely understand what they go through in the process, and we have determined it's not a big deal.

The post two up covers my thoughts on the subject except for pointing out in your initial post you say government shouldn't have any say in abortions, then in the next one you say abortions should be illegal except in certain circumstances. You gotta pick one side of the fence and stay on it.

Really, you're gonna pull the FDR card? You mean those "handouts" that got us out of the great depression? Yeah, let's do the opposite of what FDR did to recover from this recession.

And really? That's the problem with this country? Not bankers selling mortgages at rates and charging fees people can't afford? The middle and lower class has been fucked for the last decade by banks with no regulations, the last thing they should get is a little relief. After all the uneducated low-income america is how the rich has gotten richer.

Then women should be smart and not be putting dicks in their vaginas. Thats like me saying I dont want to get high but I keep smoking joints, if you dont want something, dont continually do the only thing that causes it to happen. Abortion isnt supposed to be a form of birth control, it is supposed to be used in emergency situations that arise (rape, death of child/mother). Ohh no, your body goes through changes, get over it, you just killed some dudes child, and they may very happily raise that child without any of your support, after all the child is 50% him and 50% you. Get over yourselves and realize it isnt just about you when it comes to abortion.

yes, because reality in america is that all men who father children are right there the whole time.

and i'll also ignore the part here where fetus =/=baby

edit:Then women should be smart and not be putting dicks in their vaginas.

oh, you're trolling, i get it

yes, because reality in america is that all men who father children are right there the whole time.

and i'll also ignore the part here where fetus =/=baby

edit:Then women should be smart and not be putting dicks in their vaginas.

oh, you're trolling, i get it

Shut up, I know what's better for you than you do.

Really, you're gonna pull the FDR card? You mean those "handouts" that got us out of the great depression? Yeah, let's do the opposite of what FDR did to recover from this recession.

And really? That's the problem with this country? Not bankers selling mortgages at rates and charging fees people can't afford? The middle and lower class has been fucked for the last decade by banks with no regulations, the last thing they should get is a little relief. After all the uneducated low-income america is how the rich has gotten richer.

I really wish Obama would install a program like the WPA or CCC. These programs would do a lot more than the current plan of "throw more money at it." Get people working and build stuff that will benefit America for decades.

So why do woman get to decide what is best for their child? Seriously, woman act like it is their right to choose for the baby and they dont have that right. They lost all rights to make that decision when they decided they would partake in the action that would create the child. I am not saying what is best for the woman, because it isnt a woman's decision to kill a baby and call it ethical. Keep ignoring the fetus=/=baby part, whatever helps your conscious so you can sleep at night but science has proven that fetus' have thought and begin growing as humans in the first weeks. So you know, worry about how your body looks/changes cause that is the big deal here. You made a shitty decision by having sex with that dude at the bar now fucking live with your shitty choice for the rest of your life like the rest of the world. Abortion isnt birth control or a "I changed my mind, my bad" gimmie. The issue is that women have been treating it that way and have developed a sense of entitlement from it. Im sorry, but you have no entitlement over another human being being able to live or die. Get over yourself.

Yeah, if my fiancee said she didnt want to have the kid I would tell her I would raise him all by myself. Best thing that ever happened to me was raising my son.

I really wish Obama would install a program like the WPA or CCC. These programs would do a lot more than the current plan of "throw more money at it." Get people working and build stuff that will benefit America for decades.

i really dig this idea. infrastructure in this country could use a real overhaul.

plus i spent my youth roaming parks in western NY that those two alphabet soups created, so i might be a little biased.