VC - Who are you voting for in the presidential election?

VC - Who are you voting for next month?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for in the upcoming presidential election?

• Barack Obama (Democrat)
    • Mitt Romney (Republican)
    • Gary Johnson (Libertarian)
    • Jill Stein (Green)
    • Virgil Goode (Constitution)
    • Write-In
    • Not Voting

Discussing politics is never a good idea.

Especially in a online forum type manor. Context is lost, people say things behind their monitors they wouldn't say in person. Debating is fine, but this thread became more of a argument since some people take other peoples opinions as a personal insult which is just stupid. These types of discussions always bring out the worst in otherwise good people.

I just came into this thread for the humor, and I was not disappointed!!

the entire Navy section of the debate last night was fucking hilarious. Mittens debated as Obama2.0 last night, agreeing with everything the President has done. I will say that far to much time was spent talking about the Middle East (its important, I dont want to take away from that), and far to little/none about the Eurozone or the drug traffiking from Mexico/South America. All in all, it wasnt a terrible debate, and I think its really important to remember how poorly our nation was viewed at the end of Bush's 8th year, and where we stand right now after just 4 from Obama.

Man. MAN.

So, if you (by you I mean anyone that took part in that three page back and forth) care enough about abortion, I encourage you to read this article. It was the one article I've ever read on the topic that discusses the topic from a completely logical standpoint.

I'm not a fan of abortion, but after reading this article, I made a personal decision that I am FOR clinics being around for women to have that option.

Check it here: http://spot.colorado.edu/~heathwoo/Phil160,Fall02/thomson.htm

"it does not follow that acorns are oak trees, or that we had better say they are. Arguments of this form are sometimes called "slippery slope arguments"--the phrase is perhaps self-explanatory--and it is dismaying that opponents of abortion rely on them so heavily and uncritically."

I lived my life around these arguments until reading this article.

"Every person has a right to life. So the fetus has a right to life. No doubt the mother has a right to decide what shall happen in and to her body; everyone would grant that. But surely a person's right to life is stronger and more stringent than the mother's right to decide what happens in and to her body, and so outweighs it. So the fetus may not be killed; an abortion may not be performed.

It sounds plausible. But now let me ask you to imagine this. You wake up in the morning and find yourself back to back in bed with an unconscious violinist. A famous unconscious violinist. He has been found to have a fatal kidney ailment, and the Society of Music Lovers has canvassed all the available medical records and found that you alone have the right blood type to help. They have therefore kidnapped you, and last night the violinist's circulatory system was plugged into yours, so that your kidneys can be used to extract poisons from his blood as well as your own. The director of the hospital now tells you, "Look, we're sorry the Society of Music Lovers did this to you--we would never have permitted it if we had known. But still, they did it, and the violinist is now plugged into you. To unplug you would be to kill him. But never mind, it's only for nine months. By then he will have recovered from his ailment, and can safely be unplugged from you." Is it morally incumbent on you to accede to this situation? No doubt it would be very nice of you if you did, a great kindness. But do you have to accede to it? What if it were not nine months, but nine years? Or longer still? What if the director of the hospital says. "Tough luck. I agree. but now you've got to stay in bed, with the violinist plugged into you, for the rest of your life. Because remember this. All persons have a right to life, and violinists are persons. Granted you have a right to decide what happens in and to your body, but a person's right to life outweighs your right to decide what happens in and to your body. So you cannot ever be unplugged from him."

I imagine you would regard this as outrageous."

funny , in the netherlands where i live we look at Romney and his republican as an extreme rightwing party, for American standards he is a normal politician, and Obama is a bit of middle of the road, so please vote for Obama!

is it the netherlands that has a tax rate of over 60%? I know one of the nations in Europe up in that corner has an extremely high income tax rate, but an incredible social service/support program. I THINK it was the Netherlands, but I may be mistaken.

imma just put this right here... http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-20008687

_63592042_worldservicepoll_464_obama_embargoed23102012.gif

I was thinking about what might happen if the Obama campaign ever referenced this. It seems like a valid foreign policy argument could be made but I suspect detractors would find a way to up the ante on the apologist angle. I'm guessing since they don't cite things like this more specifically they see it to some degree, as a political liability. Or have they referenced this frequently and I am just missing it?

If anyone is anti-Obama here I'd be interested to hear the rationale on how this could be seen as a negative.

I dont think they've referenced it, I think that polling just came out in the last few days. It just shows what other nations are hoping our nation does, but it also needs to be taken that most foreign nations probably arent bombarded with political mumbo-jumbo like we are, and dont really know much about Romney.. but the fact that it doesnt matter, that they would prefer keeping Obama in the US presidency HAS to amount to something in terms of positive recognition in the world.

I don't think this is a negative for Obama, but it is hardly a positive. In half the countries the real winner was "what's a president?" There were also only 21,000 people that took this survey divided by 21 countries, so 1,000 people per country*. And as stated by another user, Obama is the sitting president. As a result of that is he is more known. Just look at incumbents winning percentages in all elections. People vote for who they know.

imma just put this right here... http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-20008687

_63592042_worldservicepoll_464_obama_embargoed23102012.gif

I don't think this is a negative for Obama, but it is hardly a positive. In half the countries the real winner was "what's a president?" There were also only 21,000 people that took this survey divided by 21 countries, so 1,000 people per country*. And as stated by another user, Obama is the sitting president. As a result of that is he is more known. Just look at incumbents winning percentages in all elections. People vote for who they know.

yeah, I noted that in a follow up post, about how they are more likely to want Obama because thats who they know

I think the Eurozone is pretty scared of a Romney presidency... I would love to know what his plans are to deal with the struggling European Union economy right now, mainly Greece, Spain, Ireland, Poland.

If Romney wins, his plan would probably involve investing in the Eurozone, gutting it from the inside out and transferring billions of Euro to his account in the Caymans. ("Let Detroit Go Bankrupt, Euro Edition") Actually, he's probably going to do that whether or not he wins.