VC - Who are you voting for in the presidential election?

VC - Who are you voting for next month?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for in the upcoming presidential election?

• Barack Obama (Democrat)
    • Mitt Romney (Republican)
    • Gary Johnson (Libertarian)
    • Jill Stein (Green)
    • Virgil Goode (Constitution)
    • Write-In
    • Not Voting

one of my old professors wrote this on facebook last night during the debate. I enjoyed it.

"When I was in London a few weeks ago the biggest concern of all the Britts was that we would support the Republican agenda. A woman on the tube said it best; " What is up with your country's obsession with abortion and same sex marriage, this is a world of inclusion. GET OVER IT!""

also, if the poll is done randomly, only having 1000 people population to work with, you only need a response of can get you a 99%+ confidence result with a 3%+/- error with 648 results.

if the poll is done randomly...especially for less developed countries it would be difficult to contact people outside of major metropolitan areas.

also coming from someone who has completed surveys for money it is often a race to click the fastest.

I don't think this is a negative for Obama, but it is hardly a positive. In half the countries the real winner was "what's a president?" There were also only 21,000 people that took this survey divided by 21 countries, so 1,000 people per country*. And as stated by another user, Obama is the sitting president. As a result of that is he is more known. Just look at incumbents winning percentages in all elections. People vote for who they know.

I'd like to see the 2004 version of this figure

Of Obama v. Romney? Or Bush Kerry?

bush/kerry. I can't imagine that those countries would have preferred bush over kerry (or anyone), regardless of whether or not he was "more known". I think if you're a horrible president (like bush), the majority of the world's developed countries won't want you re-elected.

i'd be more interested to see 2008.

I'd like to see that, too, but tellallyourfriends was implying that people around the world would simply vote for the incumbent, suggesting that the world's preference for obama was more due to him currently being president than a reflection of their opinion of him, and I highly doubt that was the case for bush in the 2004 election.

in other words, I think the rest of the world pays more attention to US politics than he's giving them credit for

The rest of the world cares about who gets elected president in America just as much as the rest of the world cares about who is in control of Spain. Americans like to think that the rest of the world cares about us so much, when in reality they just dont care and why should they? We have one of the lowest voter turnout out of all developed nations, the bottom of the ladder when it comes to test scores in math, and science, the most waste and most fuel of any nation despite not having the largest population. Why Americans think they are so far above every other nation is laughable, we are all douchebags in their eyes, and rightfully so.

Who runs your country is a HUGE deal to us in Canada. You want our oil and you want a pipeline to take it. Your government is 100% the ONLY reason marijuana hasn't been legalized here and with our conservative government having the first majority government in almost a decade it matters very much who runs your country because our current gov models much of their new policies off what is happening below us.

When things are tame in the US, our conservative government is more left leaning than your democrats. Harper and Romney have very similar ideas when it comes to economics which can make Harper dangerous if he has a partner in the US. Let's face it, Romney wins, he 100% gets what he wants from Canada, when he wants it and on his terms. This is a huge deal and reason enough for me to try and stay on top of the election. If Obama wins then we're in the clear until our next election. I doubt anyone here follows Canadian politics but the NDP set records last election and the Liberals have a young super star (and son of one of our old PM's who is held in high regard) in line to run as leader. By the time the Republicans win in 2016 I think we'll have a government who will resist American economic influence as much as possible like we had in the past.

The rest of the world cares about who gets elected president in America just as much as the rest of the world cares about who is in control of Spain. Americans like to think that the rest of the world cares about us so much, when in reality they just dont care and why should they? We have one of the lowest voter turnout out of all developed nations, the bottom of the ladder when it comes to test scores in math, and science, the most waste and most fuel of any nation despite not having the largest population. Why Americans think they are so far above every other nation is laughable, we are all douchebags in their eyes, and rightfully so.

Do you really believe this? For the better part of my life we've been either protecting, threatening or invading foreign countries, all because of who we've had in power. The world cares who we elect.... we have a lot of power, and, for the most part, we're reckless as fuck. The world tunes into that.

Now, do they think we're douchebags? Yes, yes they do. But they know our names.

they care because we spend a shit load of money.

our GDP purchasing power is the highest in the world, only second to the EU, which combines all Eurozone GDPs, we are 3rd in exports in the world (China and EU ahead of us) and we are 1st in the world in imports. so other nations better care about who sits at the top of our nation because it directly affects the purchasing of both the government, small and large businesses and the general population. Our economy drives the global economy, and everyone knows it.

Just wanted to make sure this gets put out there to those who want to watch. Although the debate starts off clunky, Larry King is Moderating and he seems a bit more crazy than usual.

http://www.c-span.org/Events/Third-Party-Presidential-Debate/10737435220-1/

I know a few people mentioned Gay/Lesbian rights as hotbutton issues for them so I wanted to just make sure and point this out. When asked the hypothetical question of if you could add 1 amendment to the constitution what would it be, his response was to change the Equal Rights amendment to be inclusive of the LGBT community. If your interested in just that go to an hour and nine minutes in. I've got to admit that Rocky Anderson came off great during the debate. He and Gary Johnson were the stars of the show.

we may not be able to get legally married or adopt our partners' kids in most states, but at least we are still allowed to look at pictures of cats on the web!

Wow I didnt realize that gay/lesbians couldnt adopt in other states. As far as I know in Maine that isnt an issue so I just assumed it was nationwide. I guess it is good though cause you would obviously just teach the children how to be gay cause sexuality is taught. My parents sat me and my siblings down and made us watch them have sex so we knew how to be straight.

Wow I didnt realize that gay/lesbians couldnt adopt in other states. As far as I know in Maine that isnt an issue so I just assumed it was nationwide. I guess it is good though cause you would obviously just teach the children how to be gay cause sexuality is taught. My parents sat me and my siblings down and made us watch them have sex so we knew how to be straight.

well, to be clear about that - many states do not allow for second parent adoption for gay people. so i could be raising my daughter that's biologically my wife's*, but i would not be able to adopt the kid and have legal standing. legally a stranger to my own kid. no power to make health care decisions, and god forbid your partner's family isn't accepting of you and something happens...bleh.

and i love that idea, that you can catch it/we convert you/etc....do you know how many of us out there WISH we had that power? to make some chick or dude we like suddenly be like "oh sweet you're an option!" hahaha IF ONLY ;)

*just an example. i'm (nearly finally) divorced and have no children