Apartment Fire

Hey guys/ladies,

Had a fire in my apartment two nights ago. Luckily both me and my roommate were fine, just some smoke inhalation and what not.

My question is, what to do about smoke damage to my collection. They were all in there sleeves and in a cabinet. A small amount of soot made it into the cabinet. I am very hesitant to let the cleaning company put them in the ozone tent(even though they swear its not bad for them).

I would rather have my records smell like fire slightly them run the chance of ruining them.

Interested in your thoughts and opinions on the matter. I have till Monday to decide.

Thank you all in advance. :)

this idea terrifies me.

i don't have any advice as far as cleaning is concerned. id be more concerned about warping from the heat.

but honestly, i think about how much money i've put into all the stuff i have, and how quickly it could all be gone, and it's (albeit a little selfish) a scary thought.

Glad you're safe. Sounds like the fire fighters were careful with your possessions overall. I'd probably allow the treatment myself since that smoke smell will bug you down the line.

Hopefully someone on here has experience with this and can give you first hand advice.

(btw - I saw the thread title and was going to write how much I hate the name of the band. Ha ha)

renter's insurance covers records but I'd question your ability to get fair value for them. i'd expect a flat rate of $5-10 lp, maybe you could get what you paid for them if you had receipts. good luck trying to convince an insurance company that some lp by a band they've never heard of is worth more than that. unless you're meticulous about taking pictures and providing proof of past sales.

i would think most collectibles would have to be appraised to get money out of the insurance companies.

I have renters insurance, but the thing is, collections max out at $4,000. I tried getting around this, but apparently this is a common thing for insurance companies to max out collections at a specific amount. The catch is, you can get it from other areas (records don't count as DVDs, or clothing, etc).

My collection isn't worth 4,000, but it's definitely worth more than my car.

You can always ask for a rider on your policy specifically for your record collection. Typically its calculated on the dollar amount of the total collection and reasonably inexpensive. Insurance companies are gonna be a lot more lenient paying out if you went throught the trouble to buy the rider on your renters/homeowners policy. You'll have to inventory and 'approximate' values for everything, which could be tedious, but if the worst case scenario ever happened, you'd be in a MUCH BETTER bargaining position.

I have one on my guitar collection and wouldn't chance never having one. If you can afford nice things, you should be able to insure them as well. IIRC, on my guitar collection its something like $.75 per $100 annually. So my music gear at ~$20K runs ~$150 or so a year to insure. Or about the cost of one good effects pedal. However, it goes up dramatically for *professional* use. Something like $2.50-$3 per 100 from my insurer. For that reason I'll only keep insured as professional whatever I'm using in my current rig, and if the band breaks up, I'm off to amend the policy!

If a professional who does this for a living says it won't do any damage, it probably won't do any damage. I don't know what "ozone treatment" is, but I doubt it involves heat, especially not enough heat to warp your records. I'd do it if you ever want to sell any of your records (you will). I know I wouldn't buy anything that smelled like smoke.

Although I would still question the people doing it more thoroughly, I did a little searching and came up with this:

"Believe it or not, ozone or activated oxygen, is the most effective process to remove smoke and other organic odor. Ozone is simply air with an additional molecule of oxygen. That third molecule will bind itself to other organic matter and oxidize, or eradicate, the matter. It is the ONLY true odor neutralizer. However, you must be extremely cautious with ozone regardless of what your contractor or neighbor tells you. When ozone comes in contact with water it will turn into hydrogen peroxide effectively bleaching moist or wet areas. Your lungs are very moist and this is why you must not breathe ozone or expose yourself to it. Ozone leaves a lingering odor, this dissipates within a day or so. You should wait 24 hours from the completion of an ozone treatment before entering the structure.

All in all, I use ozone as frequently as possible. As long as you follow proper safety precautions it is the best possible treatment for malodors."

Thanks for all the great input guys! :)

I decided to not do the treatment. I moved all the records to my buddies place and he said he can't smell smoke on them at all, after 2 days. So I think it will be all good.

Once again, thank you for all the replies, and yes, apartment fire, the band, does in fact suck. Lol!

The records should be covered up to the content limit of your policy barring any exclusion in the policy language

However, you have to prove that this stuff was once their if it is not visble(burned complete, stolen, etc)

Pretty much online cataloguing(discogs, etc) and a few pictures to support the volume works well

Thanks for all the great input guys! :)

I decided to not do the treatment. I moved all the records to my buddies place and he said he can't smell smoke on them at all, after 2 days. So I think it will be all good.

Once again, thank you for all the replies, and yes, apartment fire, the band, does in fact suck. Lol!

I had similar shit luck and my place went through Ozone. I did not submit my records. Most things came back fine from Ozone but on certain items there was an odor, and others looked weakened. It was the right move but there was never a significant odor and I have never smelled anything since.

I have a "Fine Arts Rider" for my vinyl. It's pretty reasonable. Off the top of my head $50K is ~$100 per year.

I had similar shit luck and my place went through Ozone. I did not submit my records. Most things came back fine from Ozone but on certain items there was an odor, and others looked weakened. It was the right move but there was never a significant odor and I have never smelled anything since.

I have a "Fine Arts Rider" for my vinyl. It's pretty reasonable. Off the top of my head $50K is ~$100 per year.

So what types of things did you subit to the ozone treatment? Is there anything that I should not let go? You mentioned things coming back looking weakend, what types of things were they?

What insurance do you have?