Have you ever taken a break from collecting?

cbbrew22

I moved out to LA in April of 2010 and had to make the tough decision to leave all my vinyl in storage at my parent's place. I had no idea where I would be living, who I would be living with, what size place I would be getting, or if I was going to have to share a room with anyone. I just didn't want to risk my collection getting stolen, so I had to leave it behind.

Now I am all settled in to a place I've been in for a year and a half, I have stable work, and I'm ready to bring my collection back with me when I go home to visit this Christmas. I started using the boards again and I'm looking for a new turntable and I am very quickly getting addicted once again. I can't wait to get my records back and start spinning them!

Now if only I hadn't missed the release of Brand New - Devil and God. I'm kicking myself for that one.

Have you ever taken a break from collecting? What were your reasons? Did you miss any releases that are now OOP? What releases were you excited for and were still able to get ahold of?

in college I had to sell off my entire collection for supplies (art school) and then started back up the year after I graduated (2009.) still kicking myself for what i got rid of

Dashboard, a mark a mission AND swiss army romance. along with a few GUK LP's buhhhhh. recently got another copy of evil empire, though. was stoked on that.

I've stopped a couple times. I started again in earnest when I joined the boards a little over a year ago. I've let so much shit go over the years due to finances and space. At this point though I'm feeling pretty confident I won't have to sell anything and I won't lose it either.

I can't even count the number of things I missed or sold. I'm most bummed about the hardcore 7"s from the 90s. Those I can't really get back as easily. Everything will find the way home eventually.

Sadly, I'm always in a state of collecting something, so there are definitely times when I neglect records in favor of other things (right now, it's horror VHS tapes). I can only think of a couple of instances where I've had truly drought like instances of not collecting since on the whole, I usually always get atleast a few new records every month.

Sadly, I'm always in a state of collecting something, so there are definitely times when I neglect records in favor of other things (right now, it's horror VHS tapes). I can only think of a couple of instances where I've had truly drought like instances of not collecting since on the whole, I usually always get atleast a few new records every month.

Kris - I have a vhs of Octaman you can have. It's hilarious.

I first got big into collecting in the early 2000's in High School and was able to get all the sweet Hardcore records at time seeing American Nightmare basically once a month in Philly. Lost interest in the middle 2000's kind of and sold alot of awesome stuff Im now kicking my self today for. Got the collecting bug again 1-2 years ago again.

i took a few years off in college cause i was always broke. I would say i bought a handful of albums over my 4 year break... maybe 10-12 total. Yeah i missed out on some releases around 1999-2003ish but its not the end of the world, so it never bothered me.

same here plus a few years after college because i was even broker. missed a lot between 04 and 08

Totally relate to a few of you

Definitely have gotten more particular, but I've covered a massive chunk of my want list this past half year alone due to represses and awesome Discogs/Ebay fortune. It seems like the moment I decide to tone down, everything I've been scouring for surfaces within a day or two.

I started in early 2008. Took a break until April 2012. Right now, I haven't bought records since early October. Low on funds, and so I am being more selective. But I won't ever really take a complete break from here on out, because I don't want to miss out on a record that I will have to pay $300 for in the future.

Yep, taken many. Some for no reason, just sorta stopped. I've been in a mini hiatus now for a year and a half. By that I mean I still buy new stuff online, but I haven't gone out and hit the used bins in a LONG time. This is due to the job I'm working, just no time during the day like I used to have when I worked overnights.