Pretty wild paypal fiasco I am involved in.

So, on the 4th I get an email from paypal saying that my account is frozen due to my information being connected to information on another account that currently has a -667 dollar balance. The old account is my email from high school, which I haven't used since I started filling out job applications because it was pretty stupid. They say that an ebay account linked to the high school email sold something to a canadian address, never sent it and they had to refund the money (All of this happening in like 07) so now they expect me to pay it. I probably had a paypal set up with that email, but I never remember selling anything on ebay with it. So i call them up and they investigate it and everything they find leads them to believe it was me or someone close to me. If it was my mom or someone, I doubt they'd ever own up to it. So I asked paypal if this negative balance would have any effect on my credit and they are not reporting to credit bureaus, that's when I told them I have no intentions of paying this mystery balance. It seems as though I am done with paypal now. I'm not THAT upset about it, but it bothers me a little bit.

So, on the 4th I get an email from paypal saying that my account is frozen due to my information being connected to information on another account that currently has a -667 dollar balance. The old account is my email from high school, which I haven't used since I started filling out job applications because it was pretty stupid. They say that an ebay account linked to the high school email sold something to a canadian address, never sent it and they had to refund the money (All of this happening in like 07) so now they expect me to pay it. I probably had a paypal set up with that email, but I never remember selling anything on ebay with it. So i call them up and they investigate it and everything they find leads them to believe it was me or someone close to me. If it was my mom or someone, I doubt they'd ever own up to it. So I asked paypal if this negative balance would have any effect on my credit and they are not reporting to credit bureaus, that's when I told them I have no intentions of paying this mystery balance. It seems as though I am done with paypal now. I'm not THAT upset about it, but it bothers me a little bit.

why don't you just create a new email and open up a new bank account that you use only for paypal? probably would never catch it then. also, use a relatives address when setting everything up

why don't you just create a new email and open up a new bank account that you use only for paypal? probably would never catch it then. also, use a relatives address when setting everything up

I feel like this is sound advice. Everyone who visits this web site is probably going to have trouble functioning without paypal (or will have to change their buying / selling actions because of it).

It's like when your printer runs out of ink -- don't wait until you need to print something to buy a new cartridge. You know eventually you are gonna be in a situation where you need a printer. Just take care of it now to avoid stress.

So I asked paypal if this negative balance would have any effect on my credit and they are not reporting to credit bureaus, that's when I told them I have no intentions of paying this mystery balance.

So they just up and accepted that you weren't paying an outstanding balance of almost 700 dollars? I feel like that wouldn't go over as well as you're making it sound.

Same thing happen to me but on purpose. Had a Paypal and I shut the bank account associated with it down. "Bought" a fender mark hoppus bass with PayPal. They fronted the money got my guitar then when they went to withdraw no money.

Long story short I got a bass and yup no credit hit taken. Also I still use PayPal with my new bank account. So it's possible this happened

Same thing happen to me but on purpose. Had a Paypal and I shut the bank account associated with it down. "Bought" a fender mark hoppus bass with PayPal. They fronted the money got my guitar then when they went to withdraw no money.

Long story short I got a bass and yup no credit hit taken. Also I still use PayPal with my new bank account. So it's possible this happened

dude, that's pretty fuckin epic. props.

If it mattered that much to them I think they would have done more than send a couple of letters that I owe them money and that's it. But yeah I would call theft more than fraud.

Plus I did it thinking it wouldnt work cause they would realize that my back account was no longer valid but all of a sudden a guitar is a my doorstep

more fraud than theft. theft is just flat out stealing something.like if he walked in and stole the guitar from wherever he ordered it from. he fraudulently obtained the guitar by purposely deceiving paypal. once he closed his bank account and left it attached to his paypal, then knowingly bought something that would be charged to that now longer existing bank account, constitutes fraud.

and there has to be more to the story than just "i made off with free and clear." paypal wouldnt let a $700+ transaction go or simply forget about it after a while. they would send collection notices if you ignored them long enough and/or file criminal charges. they'll try to bar you from using their services too, but i can see opening a new account with them if you use a different address and new bank account.

If it mattered that much to them I think they would have done more than send a couple of letters that I owe them money and that's it. But yeah I would call theft more than fraud.

Plus I did it thinking it wouldnt work cause they would realize that my back account was no longer valid but all of a sudden a guitar is a my doorstep

quoting for backfire.

youre a piece of shit.