Newtown, CT Shooting

Just looked that up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/30/world/asia/30china.html?_r=0

http://mikeb302000.blogspot.com/2012/12/mass-stabbing-incident-in-china-23.html (newer link, yes I know it is not a real media outlet, but it gets the point across)

Apparently this is a big issue there. The good thing is that most of the victims are not seriously injured. Knives can do less damage then a gun. This only helps the case for gun control. Yes there are crazy people everywhere, but why do you need to give them any assistance.

I'd gladly picked 25 stabbed and wounded, five in critical condition, than 25 dead.

you can't stop evil, you simply can't.

-----------

Two brothers shoot up their mom's classroom killing her and children, and the dad's found dead at the home.  "Family of gun enthusiasts," owning a lot of guns, according to CT police department a bit ago.  

Inherent and unstoppable evil?  Maybe, but for the most part I think it's just another fucked up American family.  

I guess I should clarify that what I said was more from a psychological/child development standpoint.  How children are raised and the environment they're brought up in has the upmost effect on how they turn out as adults.  Kids are brought up in a gun-enthusiast household and the parents end up shot by their own kids.  Of course I don't think this particular scenario is "normal," but who's really to say what is.  I do however consider public and mass shootings committed by people who have a traumatized youth to be the norm here in the U.S.  We have more of those than anyone else, don't we?

Normal ? no but I believe things are happening like this much more often that's the unfortunate truth I don't know about you're state but there is plenty of fucked up shit happening here constantly everyday. They just fired our chief of police because she was so fucking drunk in a taco bell that she blacked out in the drive thru. they popped a girl that My friend's girl works with at subway only 15 and she kept a loaded shotgun in her trunk. some guy just murdered his whole family and then himself. Hell just a week ago some chick got raped behind my friends apartment in the parking lot and we heard the screams people just said she was drunk the masked guy poked her with some syringes in the neck and raped her. people are becoming so irrational.

We may have more than anyone else, but public mass-shootings are far from the norm, here or anywhere. Clearly, access to guns needs to be looked at, but from my experience, the people brought up around firearms learn how to safely operate firearms, have the weapons demystified and DON'T see them as a means to commit mass-murder, but as the tool they are. Perhaps, their upbringing was really fucked up and they had some relationship between guns/violence and their parents, but to say that gun ownership = a proclivity for violence, I just don't see it. I think violence breeds violence, and the kind of person that would do something as inconceivable as this, would have found a means beyond the law to get it accomplished.

Goddammit, what the fuck is wrong with humanity?  These are children, life that has the potential to do either awful or amazing things, but who knows now?  Seriously, I teeter totter between whether or not I can stand people each day, and today is a hard day to appreciate humanity.

but to say that gun ownership = a proclivity for violence, I just don't see it.

-------------

I can see where you may have gotten that from what I posted, and from what everyone everywhere on the internet is posting, but I assure you I was not arguing for that at all.  From a sociological standpoint, I don't believe murders/public shottings/crime in general is a gun problem, it's a people problem.  I agree with pretty much everything else you said as well.

so hard to fathom this happening in a small town like this, but sadly i suppose i shouldn't be surprised. like many of you were saying, it's very hard to stop someone from doing something like this if they're very determined. i admit that i am normally against gun control, but things like this definitely make me question that stance. also, that's so messed up that news outlets were posting that guy's facebook, it just goes to show that there are people on the "good" side of this who are ruining lives too  :(

no matter what, prayers go out to the families and victims of this tragedy...

-------------

I can see where you may have gotten that from what I posted, and from what everyone everywhere on the internet is posting, but I assure you I was not arguing for that at all.  From a sociological standpoint, I don't believe murders/public shottings/crime in general is a gun problem, it's a people problem.  I agree with pretty much everything else you said as well.

I'm glad to see some intelligent discussion beyond reactionary and/or inflammatory statements about burning in Hell/hating humanity. A lot of my gun owning friends are posting about now not being the time for the control debate, but I believe now IS the time for this discussion, while we are reminded of what we risk by allowing such wide freedom to access weaponry.

This is sickening. There really are evil people in this world and its so sad. I grew up in Colorado, in the same city where the Columbine shooting happened. I have many friends who have brothers, sisters, cousins, kids who were killed there. My wife has a friend who was killed in the Dark Knight Rises Aurora shooting. I am just so saddened to see these tragic events keep happening. 

To the NRA and the NSSF (who are based in Newtown btw) IT IS NEVER THE TIME to discuss this. This is the perfect time to have a conversation about why the hell it's so easy for the mentally ill and deranged to legally buy fire arms in this country. I believe in common sense gun regulation. This debate is being dictated BY INDUSTRY GROUPS. The goal of the NRA and NSSF is to help their funders sell as many fire arms and ammunition as possible so they can be as profitable as possible. They have framed themselves as protectors of the Constitution when they are the protectors of profit margins. It is despicable that they've controlled the debate for so long.

We may have more than anyone else, but public mass-shootings are far from the norm, here or anywhere. Clearly, access to guns needs to be looked at, but from my experience, the people brought up around firearms learn how to safely operate firearms, have the weapons demystified and DON'T see them as a means to commit mass-murder, but as the tool they are. Perhaps, their upbringing was really fucked up and they had some relationship between guns/violence and their parents, but to say that gun ownership = a proclivity for violence, I just don't see it. I think violence breeds violence, and the kind of person that would do something as inconceivable as this, would have found a means beyond the law to get it accomplished.

You're making by far the most sense in this thread, my friend.  My wife is a first grade teacher, I've got a five year old and a three year old, and the only thing I could think about today was the kids.  How absolutely, unbelievably horrific this for it to happen to children.  Why, why, why?  It tore my heart up to think about 18 big eyed children having their lives taken from them, with teachers and assistants who consider themselves parents to them having to watch it/fall victim to it, and have an entire school full of other children who will have to live with this their entire lives.  It's heinous. 

I just can't believe how quickly this turned to gun control.  That's not the main issue here. 

You know why this needs to turn to a conversation of Gun Regulation? Because it hasn't yet. How easy it is to forget but let's look at the past several months:

- We just had an asshole shoot up a mall in Portland.

- When was the last time you thought about Aurora?

- Did the shooting in Wisconsin even register with most?

Seriously, you can't let the moment fade or it never gets discussed. I didn't vote for Obama to be Dad-in-Chief. I get he reacted as a Father, I cried thinking of my 2-year old today after reading this. But the President is supposed to lead in times of tragedy and in the face of the most daunting political obstacles. It's time to wipe the tears and step up to do something. This is a heinous crime and the thing the NRA and NSSF and the Industry they represent wants most of all is for us to say "this isn't the time to talk about it".

Like hell if it isn't, it's the only time to talk about.

You know why this needs to turn to a conversation of Gun Regulation? Because it hasn't yet. How easy it is to forget but let's look at the past several months:

- When was the last time you thought about Aurora?

Yesterday, and nearly every day since it happened.