Newtown, CT Shooting

i'm mad at everyone saying "today's not the day to discuss gun control"

i know it's been said in here already, but it's all over my facebook and twitter. and like someone else in here said, people say "it's not the time", but with our embarrassing attention spans, we lose any and all interest in making a change unless the issue is at the forefront.

this might be the worst thing that's happened since 9/11.

except 9/11 didn't come on the heels of a shit load of other smaller terrorist attacks.

this country is completely out of fucking hand, and something needs to be done.

This man didn't kill these kids for fun, he did it to be remembered. Every minute that the media focuses on the killer, he becomes a bit more infamous. There should be an updated body count but the killer shouldn't even be mentioned and get the media out of that town so they can grieve and work through it all on their own. 

Is there a downside to trying some more strict gun laws?

The real answer -- Only that it creates a sense that the problem has been fixed when it hasn't. Someone who has decided to shoot up a school and then themselves is not concerned with what is legal and will find a way to get a gun. Maybe not as many or as powerful or as automatic, but they will still get a gun. If they can't get a gun, they will hijack a bus and drive it over a bridge. Or make a bomb out of fertilizer. Laws are like locks on houses -- they keep honest people honest but they don't prevent someone from breaking the law (or entering your house).

The stupid right wing answer -- then it will be like that Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episode where everyone burns their guns and aliens take over the planet, except with criminals running wild, not aliens.

So, so sad.

My take on this, which is meant to be a general comment on all these shootings and not directed at this specific one -- an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Gun control laws are not the answer. They are the way of an impatient American who wants something done now but for the least amount of personal sacrifice.

We need teachers with smaller class sizes to help them no the children / young adults better. Then, hopefully, they can identify kids who are having problems and help them. We need after school programs with funding so that kids with troubled backgrounds can get into music and sports and such. We need to think about the 6 year old right now who was unfortunate to be born with shitty parents or a genetic predisposition who might do something like this 10 years down the line, not how to take a gun away from someone we have already turned into a maniac.

Not a knock on any specific teachers, I had some great ones. I also had some people that I think just chose it because they had to pick a major in college and didn't know what else to be. Teacher should be up there in desirable jobs with businessman, engineer, and nurse, with pay that reflects it. Right now we pay them fairly shitty salaries, so we attract people who are not the best people to teach our children, even though it is arguably the most important job to the advancement of our society (good teachers are the starting point to creating good scientists and politicians and everything else). Instead we make laws and build prisons, which don't deter criminals or terrorists and don't solve the root issues.

Kids spend half their life with their parents and half with their teachers. We can't make people better parents. We can improve the other half of their lives. Just have to be willing to pay a little more in taxes to do it (maybe not, depending on how many prisons, courts, and police officers we would no longer need).

"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Gun control laws are not the answer" -- are you saying that restricting access to assault rifles wouldn't constitute "an ounce of prevention"?  it obviously wouldn't stop people from doing bad things, but it could make it more difficult (and hopefully less appealing) and it could limit the damage (e.g., an assault rifle with 100 rounds vs. a pistol with six shots or a knife)

I feel like ranting about all of the different ideas I have to "better" society, but that's just going to make me angry... I wish someone could make a list that quantified the net benefit/detriment of everything in society and use it to make change.  how many times has having a gun in the house saved a family compared to the number of times that gun is used to hurt an innocent person?  how many lives have drugs and alcohol "improved" compared to the number of lives that they've ruined through addiction?

one thing I will agree with you on is funding for education/teachers.  I don't know how to fix it, but our education system definitely seems broken.

scratch that, our society as a whole seems broken.  we can argue for years about tax increases for the rich or whether or not it's "right" for two guys to get married, but don't you dare try to take away my goddamn guns.

damnit.  I didn't want to rant, but I did it anyway, and now I'm mad.  thanks, asshole in connecticut.  I'm gonna go listen to records and read the walking dead (which I'm sure will cheer me right up...).  I'm at issue ~30, and I'm hoping

someone kills the governor soon.  dude is hella lame.

This man didn't kill these kids for fun, he did it to be remembered. Every minute that the media focuses on the killer, he becomes a bit more infamous. There should be an updated body count but the killer shouldn't even be mentioned and get the media out of that town so they can grieve and work through it all on their own. 

agreed. give the shooter(s) an alias (if you must refer to them at all) and dont plaster their photograph everywhere. what they want is infamy. how many shootings have occured this year? or even in the last 6 months? the media needs to take a more responsible role in not giving what these pieces of shit want - attention. 

i'm surprised no one has brought up the way that violence is showcased by media in America. maybe some of you have seen the documentary "this film is not yet rated" about the way that the mpaa rates movies? this is just one more thing to consider, that we are brought up in a culture where violence is condemned but also promoted very hypocritically.

i'd like to thank the other posters in here who are teachers as well, they already have a hard enough job and i can't imagine the burden they must feel every time something like this happens..

Has anyone else seen this Morgan freeman quote popping up on Facebook? About the media and sensationalizing, mental illness, and gun control? Anyone have a source? I keep seeing this quote but I have yet to find a credible source giving Freeman credit for it anywhere.

Call me crazy but I'm big on getting my info correct and I think I smell a rat here, as unfortunate as taking advantage of this situation may be.

here is the "quote" i'm not sure where else to really look i've tried all the regular meida fb,twitter,his tumblr,youtube

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single victim of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations­, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem."