Recently Viewing

so it begins

I've been using the AFI Top 100 list, and I think I've seen about 3/4 of them now.  

http://www.afi.com/100years/movies.aspx

--------------------------------

ALSO TO EVERYONE:

www.seenth.at   <---great way to keep track of the movies you own/have seen!  post your usernames on here!

Started in on the IMDB Top 100 List somebody posted earlier, though I've seen a little over 75% of them I'm starting to get through the ones I haven't had to chance to catch yet.  

Watched The Usual Suspects the other night, how did this movie make the top 100?  It was alright, I suppose, yet very very predictable.  I generally like anything Kevin Spacey is in, but his acting was sub-par here.  Del Toro was pretty hilarious, which is probably why I found the film to be alright overall. 

Last night I caught Savages, and was pleasantly surprised.   The ensemble cast; consisting of Aaron Taylor-Johnson (Kickass), Taylor Kitsch (Friday Night Lights, Wolverine), Blake Lively (Gossip Girl), Del Toro (again), Selma Hayek, and John Travolta, played really amazingly off of one another.  Though I haven't read the novel, I suspect the actors themselves did it justice.  If you haven't caught this one, I really do suggest doing so.  

The Square 

We Steal Secrets

Both are docs I caught at Sundance - both are well worth your time. The Square will tell you more about Egypt's uprising than you realize. Secrets really blows the lid off who Julian Assange really is. I'm sure they'll be making the rounds soon enough. 

Started in on the IMDB Top 100 List somebody posted earlier, though I've seen a little over 75% of them I'm starting to get through the ones I haven't had to chance to catch yet.

Watched The Usual Suspects the other night, how did this movie make the top 100? It was alright, I suppose, yet very very predictable. I generally like anything Kevin Spacey is in, but his acting was sub-par here. Del Toro was pretty hilarious, which is probably why I found the film to be alright overall.

Last night I caught Savages, and was pleasantly surprised. The ensemble cast; consisting of Aaron Taylor-Johnson (Kickass), Taylor Kitsch (Friday Night Lights, Wolverine), Blake Lively (Gossip Girl), Del Toro (again), Selma Hayek, and John Travolta, played really amazingly off of one another. Though I haven't read the novel, I suspect the actors themselves did it justice. If you haven't caught this one, I really do suggest doing so.

You and Roger Ebert should hang out and talk about your mutual hatred for Usual Suspects.

I watched Zodiac and Frailty last night. Frailty was garbage imo. The acting was straight out of a made for TV horror movie, like It. The "twists" were pretty bad as well. Zodiac was pretty good. I remember thinking it was a shitty teenage slasher film and not about the Zodiac Killer for the longest time.

Watched The Usual Suspects the other night, how did this movie make the top 100?  It was alright, I suppose, yet very very predictable.  I generally like anything Kevin Spacey is in, but his acting was sub-par here.  Del Toro was pretty hilarious, which is probably why I found the film to be alright overall. 

Last night I caught Savages, and was pleasantly surprised.   The ensemble cast; consisting of Aaron Taylor-Johnson (Kickass), Taylor Kitsch (Friday Night Lights, Wolverine), Blake Lively (Gossip Girl), Del Toro (again), Selma Hayek, and John Travolta, played really amazingly off of one another.  Though I haven't read the novel, I suspect the actors themselves did it justice.  If you haven't caught this one, I really do suggest doing so.  

I don't know what's crazier, the fact that you had never seen the Usual Suspects before, or that you didn't like it.

I actually haven't seen it in many years, I should rewatch it and see if it still holds true.  When I first saw it I didn't think it was predictable at all, but I was young.

I don't know what's crazier, the fact that you had never seen the Usual Suspects before, or that you didn't like it.

I actually haven't seen it in many years, I should rewatch it and see if it still holds true.  When I first saw it I didn't think it was predictable at all, but I was young.

I get that.  I probably would have loved this film had I viewed it years ago.  Unfortunately with the way film has molded us, we are typically awaiting some sort of twist by the end of every movie we watch.  

Sam Rockwell was awesome, yes, but other Thant that I really didn't like this movie too much. I had high expectations of it for some reasons and it just didn't live up. For some reason movies like this just scream writer's block. I realize it is just a style but to me it just seems silly to write a movie about writing a movie.

It's definitely the kind of thing that would appeal way more to writing nerds. I'd say it's a fair criticism to say that everything took a back seat to the meta-commentary, but there was plenty of fun to be wrung out of the characters. Especially Sam Rockwell's earnest attempts at being a "good friend."

It came along at a time for me when I'm just genuinely sick of the things that they were mocking with that movie. The last few years have been so rife will all of these movies with "quirky characters" and what passes for whip-smart dialogue, so sending that crashing into action movie tropes and generally playing around with writing conventions was a joy for me.

Sam Rockwell's version of how the movie was supposed to end nearly had me in tears. My wife and I were cracking up in the theatre when Kaya shows up inexplicably braless, in a white shirt, in the pouring rain.

I could totally see why a lot of people wouldn't have been that into it, though. There's a certain tedium that is kind of inevitable when you make writing a cohesive movie less important than poking fun at the kind of movie it is supposed to be. And dumping on layers and layers of irony just doesn't help. In a big way, I found it to almost be a feminist commentary on action movies, among other things. There's only one time that a woman is killed in the movie and it carries any emotional impact (instead of being a punchline), and it's a woman that is written distinctly different from the way the others are written.

If you're the kind of person that finds something hilariously absurd about a heartbroken Tom Waits lamenting his lost love by saying "I should have helped her burn that hippie," then it's worth a watch. Similarly, if you're the kind of person that thinks about film scripts and writing like an editor, with a critical eye towards the mechanics of it, then it's a total joy. I can totally see a lack of appeal otherwise.

Watched One Hour Photo again last night. I really love it when actors typically known for slapstick or silly roles take on serious parts. Anytime Robin Williams plays acts in a darker film he kills it. I really wish Sandler or Jim Carey would take on a few more darker roles.

Dude, Adam Sandler needs to try anything else because he isn't funny anymore. And I think he made 2 of the funniest movies ever but it's just awful how far he has fallen.

Carrey should be cool in Kick-Ass 2. That first one was awesome if you didn't see it. Should have a little darkness to that role. I don't know the character, though.

Dumb and Dumber To should be awesome as well. Or horrible. We'll see.