Recently Viewing

Binged through BoJack Horseman last night.  some parts were very funny. some parts meh.  unfortunately towards the end it seemed to die down a bit.  maybe would have been better as a strong 6 episode run.

It's funny I watched the 1st couple episodes and was about to turn it off when I read a few reviews online that mentioned it got a lot better and was more of a drama than a comedy by then end so I stuck with it and found it to be pretty good. 

It's funny I watched the 1st couple episodes and was about to turn it off when I read a few reviews online that mentioned it got a lot better and was more of a drama than a comedy by then end so I stuck with it and found it to be pretty good. 

Victor was about the only part that I thought was really funny, the rest of the jokes fell flat for me.  I liked the last three or four episodes a lot more, it worked well with a more serious tone.

Anyone else watching 'The Knick' on HBO?

Some of the surgery stuff makes me squirm, but other than that I've been enjoying it.

So cool how it's pretty much a period piece in terms of the accuracy of the clothing and whatnot.  Then the soundtrack is like, weird synth stuff.  You wouldn't think it fits, but in an odd way, it does.  It's actually pretty awesome.

Watched the Godzilla remake last night. I........ don't know what to make of it. Elizabeth Olsen was woefully underused. Also I've never seen any of the old Godzilla flicks so I was a little confused when

it turned out Godzilla was kinda the good guy?

. Have to watch it again to generate an opinion.

Had to stay home from work yesterday so motored through a bunch of my backlog of stuff I have yet to watch.

Downloaded: Pretty interesting documentary on Napster.  Feel it dragged a bit but enjoyed watching it in the end. 

The Informant!: probably one of my least favorite Soderbergh movies. had its funny moments but overall kind of meh.

Oldboy: If this remake was not a remake and just a stand alone movie it would probably be a mediocre action movie.  With the original Oldboy always in the back of your head it does not hold a candle to the original.  They made some changes to things that I was not a fan of.

Slumdog Millionaire:  First time seeing this movie.  All around really enjoyed it.  Good acting, good directing.  Probably wouldn't watch it again for years but it did deserve all the awards it received.

Escape From Tomorrow: Really cool that they filmed all of it in Disney.  The story takes a weird turn towards the end they really do not explain at all. Worth the watch if you have no seen it.

Watched 2 last night

Captain America: The Winter Soldier  ~A-

I was a fan of the 1st & this was even better. Great action & consistently engaging. Can't wait for the 3rd.

Anna ~B

Pretty interesting mystery/semi-thriller about an agency who employs people that go into others minds to help them deal w/ various tragedies/issues. Taissa Farmiga (see American Horror Story) is excellent as always.

Watched "Coherence" from 2013. Really strong indie-thriller... mindfuck of a movie. Recommended if you liked Primer/Upstream Colour or Los Cronocrimenes (Timecrimes).

I made the same reccomendation in the horror thread except I compared it to Primer and Triangle...I wanted to compare it to Timecrimes though but couldnt remember the name for some reason. So yeah, check out Triangle if you haven't seen it.

Watched a few the past few days.

Beyond the Black Rainbow:  Dug the soundtrack.  Has touches of old sci fi/horror movies.  Man did it move at a snails pace though.

Inside Llewyn Davis:  Took forever to finally see this.  Love all things Coen Brothers and this did not disappoint.  Very dry humor and really dug Oscar Isaac.

Blue Ruin: Awesome revenge story.  Others have commented on its quality and I am echoing it. Simple story but really well acted. 

The Skeleton Twins is definitely the best movie I've seen in theatres this year.  A fantastic movie all around, and especially Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader's performances.  I thought it would be more of a straight-forward comedy, but it is pretty heavy at times and totally fucked me up emotionally.  So good though.  Definitely recommend.

Just finished Filth, which was written by Irvine Welsh (Trainspotting).  I don't think I've watched a movie in a long time that had as much of an impact as this one.  James McAvoy was incredible, as well as the supporting cast.  Seriously, watch this as soon as possible.  

After a so-so late summer, there have been some really great movies out lately.

A Walk Among the Tombstones - saw this tonight and thought it was excellent.

The Equalizer - Again, really great.

Tusk - I enjoyed it for what it was. Michael Parks was great.

The Drop - I was expecting more mob/organized crime in it, but really enjoyed it.

Life of Crime - A fun crime caper following some inexperienced kidnappers.

Frank - Excellent. Didn't know much about it going into it, but one of my favorites of the year.

With most of these, many turned out to be very different from what I was expecting from the trailers. Maybe I just don't pay that much attention to the trailers anymore, but I was pleasantly surprised by all of these.