In elementary school, I was in a smaller segregated class for kids that read and wrote at a high school level. I had the same teacher for several years. She was Korean and very strict. To this day, I can hear her corrected me in my head when I say and write the word "stuff" as a noun. Or "things."

when i went to school in canada (2 or 3rd grade) we had a teacher specifically for handwriting.

so two teachers in the room. one for handwriting, one for everything else.

weird

That is really weird, haha. Oh, Canada.

But yah, the stuff thing was rough, haha. I was like 9 watching my parents struggle to explain it and I thought it was amazing.

Ah yes, sorry lol.

My favorite is whenever my boss tells me about how a client is mad at him about something, he always rushes into my office to tell me, "I just got e-mail from client... man, he pissed on me!" (Translation: "He's pissed at me." Clearly.)

One time we were testing machines out on the highway outside the office and the local police AND the DOT started calling and threatening to arrest our field guys for whatever reason, so my boss ran down the high way to talk the cops down and he offered to take the Chief out to lunch as an apology. So, after said lunch a week later, he tells one of the engineers how he "bought him lunch and licked his ass!" He "licked his ass good!"

I can't with that one, haha. If I were in the room I would've died. At first I didn't understand what he was trying to say until the engineer said he was trying to say that he was being a kiss ass and trying to make up for the troubles with the machines on the highway.

There are so many more, lol.

Okay, haha.

We have this chinese guy who is one of our field techs. His birth given name (and therefore it appears on all his records) is Hongyu, but he goes by Mike. Absolutely American born, speaks perfect English.  My bosses cannot remember to call him Mike.  To the point where if I ask them if Mike is working on a certain day, I get a collective "Who?"  He's worked here nearly a year.

For a while they thought his first name was just Hong, so they called him that. From there it's gone to Mike Hong, because our field supervisor corrected them once and so they assumed Hong was his LAST name (its not), and has since morphed into him being called his last name as his first name (I won't post it just incase he Googles himself, lol). He's never been called Mike. My one boss is worse than the other. So basically it's still Hong.

Now, my one boss has gotten into the habit of making nicknames for him. The most common is "Hongy Boy," not very PC.  But I totally LOST it the other day when he called the poor kid "Hongky Kong." How racist is that?

When my boss wants to suggest you do something a different way (read: the way he wants it done), he might say "if I be you" or "just for a heck..."

I know there is more, I just need to collect my thoughts lol.

That's really cool, how much longer before you graduate?

That's a tricky question... I finished my last year two years ago, but I still have a few exams left and the diploma (not sure what the equivalent of this is in the US). The thing is, there's absolutely zero chance I'm getting a job here with this degree (around 75% unemployment in this field), so I'm working with a student status for as long as I can to at least earn some cash. Basically spent the last two years weighing my options, and at this point I'm seriously considering just leaving everything and moving to another country. To illustrate, I don't know one single person from my generation that has a full-time job and didn't get it through family connections. 

That sounds pretty cool. Honestly, when I read "music business certificate" my gut reaction was that it was something similar to what community colleges do to take money from people who are told "you have to go to school" even though they might be better off just going into industry. Sounds pretty legit, though.

Haha, it's not a bad assumption to make, considering that is how most "certificate programs" are. At UGA, they're more like a minor that takes less classes to earn, and they offer them in a lot of subjects that aren't quite popular enough to be majors or minors.

Apparently I'm playing at a street festival tomorrow. I am not ready for this at all. Onward to sucking! I'm gonna do "jazz odyssey" to fill time.

In the D? I'll be downtown.

Going to tailgate a Kenny Chesney concert. Best of both worlds -- get to go to a concert where the guy/girl ratio isn't 10 to 1 but don't have to go o the concert and here awful music.

In the D? I'll be downtown.

Going to tailgate a Kenny Chesney concert. Best of both worlds -- get to go to a concert where the guy/girl ratio isn't 10 to 1 but don't have to go o the concert and here awful music.

One of my girlfriends is going to that... Sent me a pic of her cowboy boots earlier.

That's a tricky question... I finished my last year two years ago, but I still have a few exams left and the diploma (not sure what the equivalent of this is in the US). The thing is, there's absolutely zero chance I'm getting a job here with this degree (around 75% unemployment in this field), so I'm working with a student status for as long as I can to at least earn some cash. Basically spent the last two years weighing my options, and at this point I'm seriously considering just leaving everything and moving to another country. To illustrate, I don't know one single person from my generation that has a full-time job and didn't get it through family connections.

That number is crazy. Would you have better luck in a different country? Not like you probably haven't thought of that already.

You would be a damn fine best buy employee. Probably over-qualified for the job. I just don't know any physical stores that focus on hi-fi.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic