Here is the truth Eric: doing what you love rarely pays well (if ever). Running a label or record store, while enjoyable, are probably some of the worst ways to try and make money, especially in the short term.

My honest suggestion, maybe skip college and work a few years until you realize that working sucks, then go back to school for a non-useless degree. After graduating, get yourself a cushy job and use that income to press things/save for a store.

In the end, having a job is a necessary evil since we live in a money driven society. I hate that fact, but it is what it is so you can either deal with it or go live in Nicaragua or something.

Then what's the point? Whats the point of waking up everyday if you're not happy. So you can get a fucking paycheck, most of which doesn't even go back to you? I don't want that to happen to me, I don't want to only work just because, it makes money, because I'm not happy in such a position. I don't want to wake up one day in my 30s and say "where did I go wrong". Because at the end of the day every living creature dies alone and if you don't strive to make yourself happy. Then what do you have?

Like I said though I'm probably not going to press a record until I'm like 40 something, I might open up a record and music store because that pays well and it involves things I enjoy.

Did you read my post at all? I'll summarize it for you. Find something you like that pays for the life you want and do that. No where did I say find a job that pays well because fuck it its all about money. First things first though, work on your reading comprehension because it is clearly abysmal.

Did you read my post at all? I'll summarize it for you. Find something you like that pays for the life you want and do that. No where did I say find a job that pays well because fuck it its all about money. First things first though, work on your reading comprehension because it is clearly abysmal.

I understand exactly what you said, which is why I said I would own a music store because I was under the assumption that it pays well. But it doesn't

Even with owning a record store, you'll need to be working another job. Music is something everyone enjoys, but only a small percentage pay for it. Owning a record store is hard work too. You're going to get tired of telling people that their beat up Barbara Streisand albums aren't worth anything, and that not every Beatles album is worth hundreds of dollars.

There was a record store here that closed down last year. The owners were incredible people and they worked hard. Both of them had other jobs and worked at the store during whatever free time they had. They ended up closing the store because they had a child and needed less work and more family time.

Here's an article about it.

http://www.cityweekly.net/utah/article-137-14922-the-end-of-slowtrain.html

I understand exactly what you said, which is why I said I would own a music store because I was under the assumption that it pays well. But it doesn't

Try visiting one and talking to an owner. Everyone I've met that ran a store, including one of my good friends said he was barley afloat even in the 80's when record stores were huge. Yeah vinyl is huge now but realistically like comic/cards/any other collectible the bubble will burst and it will go back to where it was in the late 90's/00's. it's not a sustainable industry, and definitely not something you want to bank the rest of your life on.

I don't know then, I'm not sure if I'd like to work a full time job on top of that. What does everybody here do for a living so I can look into it. Specifically those that live in the city. I don't want to live in the suburbs or the county.

I am a test engineer for a microprocessor company here in AZ. I live in the burbs because it is close to work, otherwise I would live closer to the university area.

I work at a fucking call center and I fucking love my life. So, fuck it. Jobs and careers don't have to mean shit. I don't know. Don't worry about it so much. Work some shitty jobs, go to school, see if you even like college. Go for it. Try to start a label. Try to open a store. Smash your enemies.

I just want to know what I want to major in college first. I'm down to my last year before I declare and I still don't know what I want to do. :c

Think of something you might be interested in and work in that field. As long as you're making above average money (you know, like vs full time fast food money) and you get a job where they offer benefits you will be fine!

Both his reading and writing. Yet he wants to skip college. Sounds like a great idea.

Think of something you might be interested in and work in that field.

Shit, didn't think of that.

Based on my personal college experience, here's what I've learned (and this is all my opinion)

1. Go to where the job market is and try something in that field that would remotely interest you

2. Get experience through internships/co-ops

By the time I had switched my major, I just picked something that was easy because I was ready to be done with school. When I graduated, I had 3 months experience and it took almost a year to find a full time job, but I got EXTREMELY lucky to get the job that I did

Basically it breaks down like this:

Odds you'll do something you'll love and make a comfortable living: 2%

Odds you'll do something tolerable and make a comfortable living: 8%

Odds you'll do something you love but won't make any money: 15% 

Odds you'll do something you hate and won't make any money: 30%

Odds you'll do something you hate to make a comfortable living: 45% 

And as a bonus:

Odds you'll do something you earned a degree in: 30%

I think a lot of people, me included, do genuinely enjoy their jobs, but I know there are a million other places I’d rather be. I wouldn’t choose to be here, I have to be here. Weekends/after work are for doing the fun stuff and pursuing passions.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic