what IS animal style?

I just had to google it myself:

A mustard-cooked beef patty with additional pickles, cheese, spread and grilled onions diced up and mixed together on the grill before getting dumped on your burger. This is probably the most famous secret menu item, and for good reason: it’s pure awesome on a bun. You can get any burger done Animal Style.

Don't you love when you get asked that within the first five minutes with some people? I share my most recent favorite one. My last job I worked with an older Jewish woman. When I first started there she asked the typical "What are you question" and I said "Oh a lot of things." When I got pressed again I said what I was, to which it garnered a response "Oh so does that mean you have to choose sides?" I wasn't very nice to her the next 2 years I worked there, and was sort of glad all of her teeth fell out.

I just had to google it myself:

A mustard-cooked beef patty with additional pickles, cheese, spread and grilled onions diced up and mixed together on the grill before getting dumped on your burger. This is probably the most famous secret menu item, and for good reason: it’s pure awesome on a bun. You can get any burger done Animal Style.

That sounds awesome! I did not know this either. When I read the animal style all I could think of was this….

giphy.gif

and I was like….ok girl do whatcha gotta do!! Get after dem fries!

enhanced-buzz-6650-1386285518-46.jpg

Rodriguez would have been my second guess. 

enhanced-buzz-17905-1386285181-13.jpg

It makes sense though. You going to choose a white guy to play Martin Luther King Jr, or the only black guy in the class?

enhanced-buzz-4677-1386285258-8.jpg

No, you are.

enhanced-buzz-1009-1386285465-41.jpg

Right? Japanese?

/sarcasm

Ugh, don't be so up tight. We're mostly ignorant ass white folk who don't travel much. I think our generation, the 80's-90's babies, don't have a big grasp on racism. It's not something we had to deal with growing up, to an extreme at least. We didn't see segregation like our parents and grandparents did. 

I remember back in highschool there was one of those social justice warrior type people in one of my classes, and she would turn everything even slightly related to black people into some sort of foul mockery of her culture.

Then one day when there was a skit, or presentation, or something, there was a person being a really offensive stereotype of an Italian  (think "EEEYYY that's a spicy meatball! Me and Vinnie will break ya kneecaps because we're in the mob!"). When I mentioned I found it offensive because of my Italian heritage, and not all Italians are like that. I was promptly told to lighten up.

P.S. That last girl is totally Korean.

I posted that just to give some perspective. I don't think that article is an overreaction to anything, just pointing out stupid comments and racial insensitivity. Its in the term "microaggression." No one said the people who said these things are racist. That said, I've been in some really uncomfortable situations with people that went above and beyond comments like these. Ever read the public shaming tumblr? 

http://publicshaming.tumblr.com

EDIT: I should clarify that the comments people are holding up are said to their face regularly. (I get what are you frequently.) I know some people think differently of the internet.

Had the best day off yesterday.  Woke up and drank coffee and made a huge breakfast (and watched cartoons), rest of the day consisted of listening to new records (I got a ton in the mail last week), reading and dicking around on the Internet.  Concluded it with pizza, beer and movies.  Just felt like rubbing it in a bit.

I posted that just to give some perspective. I don't think that article is an overreaction to anything, just pointing out stupid comments and racial insensitivity. Its in the term "microaggression." No one said the people who said these things are racist. That said, I've been in some really uncomfortable situations with people that went above and beyond comments like these. Ever read the public shaming tumblr? 

http://publicshaming.tumblr.com

EDIT: I should clarify that the comments people are holding up are said to their face regularly. (I get what are you frequently.) I know some people think differently of the internet.

My comment wasn't directed at you or anybody in particular, just in general. I just wrote a paper on racism yesterday, and in a more thought out way, described the same feelings. Like, that Mt. Dew ad earlier this year that a lot of people were saying was the "most racist commercial ever" Like really? If that's the most racist shit we see these days, I think we're good. I do understand that in certain parts of the South, racism is still alive and kickin, but they can stay down there in the south and suck at life. I'm cool with that. 

In my old job I was exposed to every fucking race, color, religion, gay, straight, whatever. Never bothered me, never thought much of it. Maybe I was just raised right, but good parents and surrounding family. 

My comment wasn't directed at you or anybody in particular, just in general. I just wrote a paper on racism yesterday, and in a more thought out way, described the same feelings. Like, that Mt. Dew ad earlier this year that a lot of people were saying was the "most racist commercial ever" Like really? If that's the most racist shit we see these days, I think we're good. I do understand that in certain parts of the South, racism is still alive and kickin, but they can stay down there in the south and suck at life. I'm cool with that. 

In my old job I was exposed to every fucking race, color, religion, gay, straight, whatever. Never bothered me, never thought much of it. Maybe I was just raised right, but good parents and surrounding family. 

I know. It wasn't a I'M MAD response either. I mean I know what your saying, my grandparents had it way worse, but I was just pointing out something that annoys people (particularly of color) regularly. I'm not a "P.C Police" guy, and I don't mind getting the "What are you" if you get to know me first. A lot of comments I think people are responding to are from people they don't know or just met, which makes it way more annoying.

I know. It wasn't a I'M MAD response either. I mean I know what your saying, my grandparents had it way worse, but I was just pointing out something that annoys people (particularly of color) regularly. I'm not a "P.C Police" guy, and I don't mind getting the "What are you" if you get to know me first. A lot of comments I think people are responding to are from people they don't know or just met, which makes it way more annoying.

I get it, it's probably more of an annoyance than a racism thing. 

I think its odd that you get upset that people ask you when you yourself made it a point to point out the ladies religion in the comment. By doing that you are kind of acting the same way that she is.

Not really. Just highlighting what came from her perspective, which was stupid. Also like in my previous comment, if you know me, most questions aren't off limits unless its really stupid (like everyone I think.) It's the people I just met (like that woman) and other people I don't even know that makes it annoying. I also got it from two black ladies at that job too, but I didn't get a stupid response like from her nor were they stupid in general.

Also i feel the term racially insensitive is a term that is rarely used that people should be aware of. People say racially insensitive stuff often and it doesn't make them racist. It doesn't make it right but it happens. People like Al Sharpton will deem anything racist, and that's what makes discussions like this hard to have sometimes.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic