But you are implying that everyone who is Jewish is racially insensitive by making it a point of pointing out her religion in the comment. You are doing the same thing she did when she asked "what are you?"

No. I know/work/are friends with a numerous people who are Jewish. She HAPPENS to be an older Jewish woman, which I am none of those three things. I was highlighting a difference of perspective for that woman (and a stupid comment at that.) It would be different if I said I worked at a Jewish college (which it was), and I got that question x amount of times by people there, but also never specified who asked that. That'd be an open implication. As I said, I have gotten weird questions/comments from people of all walks of life, including two other non-Jewish women there. I'm not naming people by name. So yeah...

But why couldn't you say "Lady at work" or "Woman I work with" You specifically said "Jewish woman." None of here know where you work or the background of your job. You committed the same act that you were complaining about.

I didn't ask her a question about her background and asked if "she had to choose sides."

Before this spirals out of control I wanted to talk a little about the microagressions. Nearly everything we do can be considered a microagression, because all that really has to happen to commit one is react in anyway shape or form to race/religion etc. In this case I have to side with jhook, victim by pointing out that she was jewish that was a microagression. It wasnt a terrible one but it was a microaggression. Even the psychologist that came up with the theory of microagression admits that its nearly impossible not to commit acts of microaggression because as humans we are programmed to notice and point out differences between people. Everyone needs to accept that they will be committing them, the important part is recognizing when youre doing so and working to minimize and eliminate them.  

Yeah some things in that post are really cringe worthy.  I think 2, 3, 7, 8, 10, 16, 17, and 21 are probably the worst offenders.  Although you aren't really sure what perspective these are coming from. What cultures.

I know I've asked someone with an accent "where are you from" and he or she could have damn well been an American but sometimes you just don't know and you try not to offend the other person. But people should give the benefit of the doubt more if they know the other person is genuinely just trying to get to know them.

We all know when it ISNT sincere and friendly.  And I feel for you guys who deal with that pretty regularly.

Before this spirals out of control I wanted to talk a little about the microagressions. Nearly everything we do can be considered a microagression, because all that really has to happen to commit one is react in anyway shape or form to race/religion etc. In this case I have to side with jhook, victim by pointing out that she was jewish that was a microagression. It wasnt a terrible one but it was a microaggression. Even the psychologist that came up with the theory of microagression admits that its nearly impossible not to commit acts of microaggression because as humans we are programmed to notice and point out differences between people. Everyone needs to accept that they will be committing them, the important part is recognizing when youre doing so and working to minimize and eliminate them.  

I did only point out her in particular because again it came from her personal perspective. I agree with you about microagressions in general, and this article pointed out a few microagressions in particular. The microagression tumblr gets really in depth, but I think particular ones are mention to highlight actions (like the one action I described) as opposed to descriptions in general.

I am not saying that you are a horrible person or anything. I am also not agreeing with what said said to you. I am just trying to point out that you committed an act of microaggression by mentioning her religion. This is a message board, like I said, I do not know your background. Reread what you posted and think of how someone else would interpret it.

I did only point out her in particular because again it came from her personal perspective. I agree with you about microagressions in general, and this article pointed out a few microagressions in particular. The microagression tumblr gets really in depth, but I think particular ones are mention to highlight actions (like the one action I described) as opposed to descriptions in general.

I completely understand why you did it, its just that it wasn't necessary. Everything would have made sense without it, which is what makes it a microagression. 

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic