Thanks everyone for the khaki advice.

I had a question. If you were invited to a wedding and there was an open bar for a cocktail hour but cash bar for the rest of the night, would you be offended?

Please be honest. Looking for some feedback.

Yes. Very offended.

I've been to several weddings and the only one to end in divorce (so far) was the one with a cash bar.

Here's my brutally honest opinion, please don't be offended: Going to weddings sucks. No one likes to do it. Sure they're fun, but they're a pain in the ass. If you're not springing for me to get shitfaced and then some, no thanks.

Thanks everyone for the khaki advice.

I had a question. If you were invited to a wedding and there was an open bar for a cocktail hour but cash bar for the rest of the night, would you be offended?

Please be honest. Looking for some feedback.

Not offended. I think any amount of open bar is just a sweet bonus.

Yes. Very offended.

I've been to several weddings and the only one to end in divorce (so far) was the one with a cash bar.

Here's my brutally honest opinion, please don't be offended: Going to weddings sucks. No one likes to do it. Sure they're fun, but they're a pain in the ass. If you're not springing for me to get shitfaced and then some, no thanks.

Thanks man! Not offended at all. I personally don't care if I go to a wedding with a cash bar, but all the catering quotes we've gotten so far have been insane so I'm looking where to cut

Yes. Very offended.

This is exactly what I expected you would say. Haha. I love you, man.

Well, I got the second interview. So this is where I will find out what they are all about. Things like exactly what my responsibilities would be, the layout of the company, the environment, the size of the company, etc. It'll be interesting to interview them though. I'll ask the why the job is open, and what are their expectations of me, etc.

First one was on the phone so is the second one in person? Hopefully they are cool with the beard. Seriously why does it fucking matter?

First one was on the phone so is the second one in person? Hopefully they are cool with the beard. Seriously why does it fucking matter?

Yeah, first one was with HR head via phone. Second is with dept. head in person. And I hope so. They are a roofing company, so maybe they'll love it. Haha. I would be doing customer service / logisitics, so it's not like I would have anyone seeing my face besides the people I would be working with. But yeah, the beard has kept me from getting / accepting a few jobs. I've worked in a few law firms that didn't care, and I interview for a firm when I first moved here. They asked me to shave to work there, and it was only going to be a basic office position. Definitely nothing worth shaving over, so I turned it down.

Jesus, the second interview is two hours long.

We did free beer & wine and a margarita toast which was essentially 5 gallons of margaritas until it was gone. We had a nice beer selection until about dinner. After 8pm it was 16oz. PBR cans only and whatever wine was still there. If you came to get shitfaced we had more PBR than you could drink so you had the ability. If you didn't want to drink it, that was on you. 

I think we got about 130 people ripping drunk for around 2.5k. I'd rather have an iPod play all the music and a basket of clif bars be the dinner than go to a wedding with a cash bar. Point is, you can maybe find a creative compromise. 

I don't think I'd be offended either way, just kind of.... eh. If I didn't know you well I'd also probably dip after dinner. 

I don't get what peoples' problems with beards are. They are manly dammit. It's not like it's a tattoo on my face. It's just hair. Something almost every dude can grow on their face. I don't see how it's unprofessional or off-putting in any way as long as it's neat and maintained. Haha.

never been a fan of facial hair, it gets too itchy and i'd rather keep shaving than spend money trying to maintain it lol, but I respect any dude who puts in effort towards facial hair

I don't get what peoples' problems with beards are. They are manly dammit. It's not like it's a tattoo on my face. It's just hair. Something almost every dude can grow on their face. I don't see how it's unprofessional or off-putting in any way as long as it's neat and maintained. Haha.

i'd love to able to indulge in some facial topiary but she who must be obeyed has banned beards, she says they make me look old and the best I can get away with is about a weeks worth of stubble.

enjoy your beards while you can gentleman

i'd love to able to indulge in some facial topiary but she who must be obeyed has banned beards, she says they make me look old and the best I can get away with is about a weeks worth of stubble.

I just had the opposite problem for 3 years so thats why I'm enjoying the shaving. :)

We did free beer & wine and a margarita toast which was essentially 5 gallons of margaritas until it was gone. We had a nice beer selection until about dinner. After 8pm it was 16oz. PBR cans only and whatever wine was still there. If you came to get shitfaced we had more PBR than you could drink so you had the ability. If you didn't want to drink it, that was on you.

I think we got about 130 people ripping drunk for around 2.5k. I'd rather have an iPod play all the music and a basket of clif bars be the dinner than go to a wedding with a cash bar. Point is, you can maybe find a creative compromise.

I don't think I'd be offended either way, just kind of.... eh. If I didn't know you well I'd also probably dip after dinner.

I'm getting the DJ for free and we got a steal on the venue so I'm trying to cut where I can. I've never personally gone to a wedding JUST to get shitfaced, so the notion that someone would get offended due to the lack of free booze is new to me.

Old? You mean distinguished, handsome, and manly.

My lady loves the beard, and would be upset if I shaved it.

I've had my beard for a few years and can't part with it. It's a part of me now. The beard is the captain now.

I don't want one because it'd drive me nuts, but I have no problem when other people do as long as it's well kept. If it makes you look homeless, shave it. If not, I have zero problem. I really think that in an interview having a messy beard would be as stupid as showing up in your underwear. It'll look like you don't give a shit.

I feel the same about tattoos. Who cares, what does some ink on my body have to do with my ability to perform a job? Unless they are highly inappropriate tattoos, who gives a fuck? Beards are fine too.

I'm getting the DJ for free and we got a steal on the venue so I'm trying to cut where I can. I've never personally gone to a wedding JUST to get shitfaced, so the notion that someone would get offended due to the lack of free booze is new to me.

Yeah bud. I don't think anyone would really get offended. I can't relate to Bruce on that one at all. Seems pretty callous to me, I'll assume he was being hyperbolic for the sake of comedy. If you are only inviting people you really know and care about I can't imagine anyone really caring. I suspect there will still be a decent amount of complaining, but not much to your face. 

If you go no freebies after the first hour just give the inner circle the heads up so everyone knows to bring pocket whiskey. They should be anyway to a wedding, but a gentle reminder never hurts. 

Yeah bud. I don't think anyone would really get offended. I can't relate to Bruce on that one at all. Seems pretty callous to me, I'll assume he was being hyperbolic for the sake of comedy. If you are only inviting people you really know and care about I can't imagine anyone really caring. I suspect there will still be a decent amount of complaining, but not much to your face. 

If you go no freebies after the first hour just give the inner circle the heads up so everyone knows to bring pocket whiskey. They should be anyway to a wedding, but a gentle reminder never hurts. 

Ah ye olde pocket whiskey, my best friend.

I feel the same about tattoos. Who cares, what does some ink on my body have to do with my ability to perform a job? Unless they are highly inappropriate tattoos, who gives a fuck? Beards are fine too.

Exactly. Do my bird tattoos offend you? Haha. How do they stop me from doing my job. Other than stroking my beard, it doesn't change how I do my job. Haha.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic