Yo, I'm hype as fuck for Blair Witch tomorrow. I hope it doesn't suck.

I'm only as stoked as I am because unwanted to see it when it was just The Woods. The original Blair Witch Project scared the shit out of me when I saw it in theaters as a kid. I watch it every year for my October horror movie a day marathon...it's still fun, but far from scary.

1 minute ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Yo, I'm hype as fuck for Blair Witch tomorrow. I hope it doesn't suck.

I'm only as stoked as I am because unwanted to see it when it was just The Woods. The original Blair Witch Project scared the shit out of me when I saw it in theaters as a kid. I watch it every year for my October horror movie a day marathon...it's still fun, but far from scary.

The original is playing tonight on cable, so I'm hoping to catch it! Our local theater just closed last week though for a month, so unless I'm looking to drive over an hour to catch it, will just have to sit on seeing the new one.

I think I read from another post of yours your plan to smoke before the film to enjoy the wonder of it as a kid - can't say that's a bad idea haha

23 minutes ago, chkadea said:

The original is playing tonight on cable, so I'm hoping to catch it! Our local theater just closed last week though for a month, so unless I'm looking to drive over an hour to catch it, will just have to sit on seeing the new one.

I think I read from another post of yours your plan to smoke before the film to enjoy the wonder of it as a kid - can't say that's a bad idea haha

I don't go to the movies like I used to, but I could never imagine living somewhere with just one theater. I got really bored a couple years ago and figured out that from 1989-2013 I averaged 35 movies in theaters a year. For the last 2 years I've dropped to about 3 to 5 a years. In 2007 I saw 50 and in 2008 it was 70. Granted, at least 100 of those were free. 

I've found that with my ADD the best way for me to watch a movie is a little stoned and in a theater. 

59 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I don't go to the movies like I used to, but I could never imagine living somewhere with just one theater. I got really bored a couple years ago and figured out that from 1989-2013 I averaged 35 movies in theaters a year. For the last 2 years I've dropped to about 3 to 5 a years. In 2007 I saw 50 and in 2008 it was 70. Granted, at least 100 of those were free. 

I've found that with my ADD the best way for me to watch a movie is a little stoned and in a theater. 

That's mighty impressive! Bet you'd make an excellent trivial pursuit partner. You have any particularly good memories of a specific viewing?

I used to love going to movies by myself when I lived in actual cities (and with $2 retro film nights!), but for the better part of a decade I've been living in areas with one theater and the next closest typically 50-100 miles away. 

1 hour ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Kizumonogatari is the first movie I will see in theaters since Deadpool which was the first movie I went to see in years.

4 minutes ago, chkadea said:

That's mighty impressive! Bet you'd make an excellent trivial pursuit partner. You have any particularly good memories of a specific viewing?

I used to love going to movies by myself when I lived in actual cities (and with $2 retro film nights!), but for the better part of a decade I've been living in areas with one theater and the next closest typically 50-100 miles away. 

Going to the movies by myself has always been one of my favorite things to do. Although the majority of them time I'm with at least one other person. A couple years ago I lived down the road from a place that did $5 tickets every Tuesday (including 3D) and I would go alone at least once a month.

My favorite theater going experience will always be seeing No Country for Old Men in a huge sold out theater. You could hear a pin drop nearly the entire time and the crowd let out a collective and cathartic "oh shit, it's that guy" laugh when Woody Harrelson appeared. But the reaction to the ending was priceless. At first there was stunned and confused silence, followed by a handful of "What the fuck?" and "...that...that's it?" murmers. My girlfriend at the time and I went to a diner and drank coffee until nearly 3am while discussing it. It was, now that I think about it, the last truly good experience we shared.

Almost a decade later, I've seen the film probably 30 times but that initial communal experience will always stand out. There's nothing I love more than being left speechless by the ending of a film. If I walk out of a movie in a daze and don't feel comfortable, it's how I know I've seen a truly great one. Similarly, that same ex girlfriend and I (long after we had broken up...but right in the middle of me being fucked and broken about it) went and saw Synecdoche, NY and as we were walking out one of us (I'll never remember who because we were both thinking it) said "...I'm not ok..." We spent the rest of the night drinking coffee and chain smoking at the same diner.

On the completely opposite end of the spectrum, the midnight premiere of Snakes on a Plane was utter chaos and a really fun time. Literally the only time I've been ok with yelling things at the screen.

12 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

What the fuck even is that? Something tells me it has nothing to do with Koyaanisqatsi

It's part of the Monogatari series. This is technically the first point in the story but wasn't the first released. It's one of my favorite shows visually. It's really striking and distinctive. Based off of a series of books. Very dialogue heavy and kind of convoluted. Here's a wiki link, but it is pretty heavily rooted in Japanese culture and references all kinds of stuff. It's really neat. If you care this video was pretty neat and analyzed why the animation itself is so cool to watch. Guy who is lead animator at Shaft was obviously a bit of a movie nerd so you may appreciate some of the directing techniques and whatnot. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monogatari_(series)

Oh, and this is the chart you reference for order because release/chronological are very different. This isn't current either.

3uWkJlB.png

There's a fuckton more books that aren't adapted yet.

Edited by Holo

I ain't got time for anime, dawg. Like comic books, it's a medium I've had to just be like "Nope, I'm sure there's good stuff buried under all the shit but there's too much and I ain't got time." I'm a huge nerd about movies, tv, comedy, books, and music. I know anime is technically both TV and movies, but it's a whole fucking...thing...in itself. I don't even have time for shit I already like more often than not.

17 minutes ago, KingTacoMunster said:

So probably won't have a voice tomorrow from yelling at the TV...my Red Sox just made a ridiculous comeback at the last possible time to beat the Yankees. Holy shit I'm pumped and it's not even the post season haha

Somewhere my dad is fucking pissed.

My brother almost went pro in football and ended up playing in the Canadian league for awhile after his stint with the Arizona Cardinals didn't work out. My other brother is a sports agent with a handful of clients in the NFL and NBA. It's always really killed my dad that I turned out as a skinny, slightly effeminate, art weirdo. Although, when I was a kid I always enjoyed the one day a year I'd get to miss a day of school to go to the city for a Yankees game with him.

Sadly, I can't find a single fuck to give about sports.

33 minutes ago, KingTacoMunster said:

So probably won't have a voice tomorrow from yelling at the TV...my Red Sox just made a ridiculous comeback at the last possible time to beat the Yankees. Holy shit I'm pumped and it's not even the post season haha

My guys have been outscored 43-12 in our last 4 game home stand. Pretty sure they don't care anymore, as I don't either.

33 minutes ago, KingTacoMunster said:

My guys have been outscored 43-12 in our last 4 game home stand. Pretty sure they don't care anymore, as I don't either.

I was, however, a varsity athlete and almost a state champion in High School. You know rowing? I was the little guy steering and yelling. I was damn good at it too. I'm super good at being small and bossy. I can yell like a motherfucker. I was good enough that despite constantly telling the coaches to go fuck themselves and giving them the finger, I never actually suffered any consequences. I was openly against authority and encouraged it among the rest of them team. But goddammit, we won races.

My last race we were less than a second off from medaling in a state championship. If only I'd yelled "ROW HARDER YOU FUCKING PIECES OF SHIT" just a little bit louder. They actually added a whole page to the team's code of conduct the next season because a bunch of parent's on shore heard me yell that and they complained. Allegedly one of the father's was going to punch me but his son was like "Uh...Kevin doesn't actually think I'm a piece of shit..." Jokes on him though, that kid was a piece of shit.

I grew up playing baseball, and I don't want to be that guy BUT I was damn good. Def could have played college ball and possible had a shot at minors but I gave up like an idiot. My high school coach pissed me off so bad I was just like fuck it instead of fighting for something I loved which is probably my only regret in life.

Who is your team @abovetheearth?

Edited by KingTacoMunster

35 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I ain't got time for anime, dawg. Like comic books, it's a medium I've had to just be like "Nope, I'm sure there's good stuff buried under all the shit but there's too much and I ain't got time." I'm a huge nerd about movies, tv, comedy, books, and music. I know anime is technically both TV and movies, but it's a whole fucking...thing...in itself. I don't even have time for shit I already like more often than not.

Yeah, it's definitely it's own little thing. I don't think it's entirely fair to throw out an entire medium, but I won't force you to do anything. I'm very selective about what I like, and I like it less just because it's anime and more because there tends to be some interesting stuff that stays unique to the medium. There was legit and entire year I didn't get into one new show. This year has been great so far though. If you ever decide to give it a shot let me know and I'll recommend some stuff that you might actually enjoy. Most of the mainstream stuff is absolute garbage as a rule of thumb, but there are always exceptions. Hell, Haruhi blew the fuck up and is one of my all time favorites. Anyway, my point is that the medium gets a bad wrap and there's a lot of garbage (and garbage people) but there are some real gems too and with how into movies and TV you are I don't think you should write it off entirely. At least check out that video about Monogatari's directing. It's talking about all the influence it drew from old French art films you probably are familiar with. 

5 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Somewhere my dad is fucking pissed.

My brother almost went pro in football and ended up playing in the Canadian league for awhile after his stint with the Arizona Cardinals didn't work out. My other brother is a sports agent with a handful of clients in the NFL and NBA. It's always really killed my dad that I turned out as a skinny, slightly effeminate, art weirdo. Although, when I was a kid I always enjoyed the one day a year I'd get to miss a day of school to go to the city for a Yankees game with him.

Sadly, I can't find a single fuck to give about sports.

Nope, to me it's just one of those things my dad forced me to do for a while because he thought it's what all guys had to do. Fuck em. Just not my cup of tea. 

3 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I was, however, a varsity athlete and almost a state champion in High School. You know rowing? I was the little guy steering and yelling. I was damn good at it too. I'm super good at being small and bossy. I can yell like a motherfucker. I was good enough that despite constantly telling the coaches to go fuck themselves and giving them the finger, I never actually suffered any consequences. I was openly against authority and encouraged it among the rest of them team. But goddammit, we won races.

My last race we were less than a second off from medaling in a state championship. If only I'd yelled "ROW HARDER YOU FUCKING PIECES OF SHIT" just a little bit louder. They actually added a whole page to the team's code of conduct the next season because a bunch of parent's on shore heard me yell that and they complained. Allegedly one of the father's was going to punch me but his son was like "Uh...Kevin doesn't actually think I'm a piece of shit..." Jokes on him though, that kid was a piece of shit.

2 minutes ago, KingTacoMunster said:

I grew up playing baseball, and I don't want to be that guy BUT I was damn good. Def could have played college ball and possible had a shot at minors but I gave up like an idiot. My high school coach pissed me off so bad I was just like fuck it instead of fighting for something I loved which is probably my only regret in life.

Who is your team @abovetheearth?

My eyes aren't great and glasses still didn't get it perfect. I couldn't see the ball well enough to do baseball like my dad tried to make me. Had trouble tracking the ball. Could destroy batting cages because I knew where it was coming, but just never performed otherwise. Nerd for life. 

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic