2 minutes ago, KingTacoMunster said:

I grew up playing baseball, and I don't want to be that guy BUT I was damn good. Def could have played college ball and possible had a shot at minors but I gave up like an idiot. My high school coach pissed me off so bad I was just like fuck it instead of fighting for something I loved which is probably my only regret in life.

Who is your team @abovetheearth?

KC. I've been a fan since around 1990 so that's done dedication as I've seen some real shitty teams. I did make a pact last year that if we won the WS then I'd be okay until i die. I guess someone was listening because they are dead and I'm on life support. 

2 minutes ago, abovetheearth said:

KC. I've been a fan since around 1990 so that's done dedication as I've seen some real shitty teams. I did make a pact last year that if we won the WS then I'd be okay until i die. I guess someone was listening because they are dead and I'm on life support. 

At least you had last year!

4 minutes ago, Holo said:

Yeah, it's definitely it's own little thing. I don't think it's entirely fair to throw out an entire medium, but I won't force you to do anything. I'm very selective about what I like, and I like it less just because it's anime and more because there tends to be some interesting stuff that stays unique to the medium. There was legit and entire year I didn't get into one new show. This year has been great so far though. If you ever decide to give it a shot let me know and I'll recommend some stuff that you might actually enjoy. Most of the mainstream stuff is absolute garbage as a rule of thumb, but there are always exceptions. Hell, Haruhi blew the fuck up and is one of my all time favorites. Anyway, my point is that the medium gets a bad wrap and there's a lot of garbage (and garbage people) but there are some real gems too and with how into movies and TV you are I don't think you should write it off entirely. At least check out that video about Monogatari's directing. It's talking about all the influence it drew from old French art films you probably are familiar with. 

Nope, to me it's just one of those things my dad forced me to do for a while because he thought it's what all guys had to do. Fuck em. Just not my cup of tea. 

Anime ain't my thing and I couldn't tell who from what. but on occasion I appreciate some of the incredible art and truly mind fucking storylines. I've caught a few classics and damn. 

Me watching anime would be like someone in their final year of a master's degree in history getting thrown into an advanced computer engineering class. I don't give a fuck, it's not relevant to me, and I'm not equipped to process what's being presented. I don't discredit it as an art form, it's just not my thing.

I watched a couple seasons of pokemon in the 90s and have seen 3 episodes of Cowboy Beebop though.

1 minute ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Me watching anime would be like someone in their final year of a master's degree in history getting thrown into an advanced computer engineering class. I don't give a fuck, it's not relevant to me, and I'm not equipped to process what's being presented. I don't discredit it as an art form, it's just not my thing.

I watched a couple seasons of pokemon in the 90s and have seen 3 episodes of Cowboy Beebop though.

The only anime I've watched/could watch was back in the day and that was dragon Ball z. Is that even anime? But the only reason I watched it was because it was on after school and it was weed time and my best friend was a huge fan...

Anime: I enjoy some of it.

Sports: I like 'em, but don't go out of my way to watch 'em. I have my sports teams picked mostly based on what teams I liked as a kid.

Baseball - Cubs

Hockey - Sabres

Football - Dolphins/Colts

Basketball - Blazers

Soccer - Who cares about soccer?

2 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I'll write a longer reply when I'm off mobile, but there's lots of amazing adult oriented stuff that is worth time. I've got an agreement with Brian if I ever smoke I have to call him, so how about the same with you for joining my cult? Haha.

Pokemon exists, but Bebop is awesome. 

7 minutes ago, abovetheearth said:

Anime ain't my thing and I couldn't tell who from what. but on occasion I appreciate some of the incredible art and truly mind fucking storylines. I've caught a few classics and damn. 

What have you seen and really liked?

2 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I'll write a longer reply when I'm off mobile, but there's lots of amazing adult oriented stuff that is worth time. I've got an agreement with Brian if I ever smoke I have to call him, so how about the same with you for joining my cult? Haha.

Pokemon exists, but Bebop is awesome. 

7 minutes ago, abovetheearth said:

What have you seen and really liked?

35 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

For some reason it nested some stuff under the spoiler, so the back end of my reply is under it.

First of all, don't watch it, that's totally cool, you do you. That being said, I don't think "irrelevant to you" is a fair assessment. You're a TV/movie nerd, why is something that is pretty damn similar irrelevant? I don't get your reasoning there. I just think you are missing out on some stuff you would otherwise enjoy. Not shitting on you, that's just how I see it and I don't understand your view. I tend to weeb a bit, but it goes in cycles. Regardless of what it is, whatever I am currently watching or playing I get very attached to if the story and characters are good. That's part of why my avatar/name cycles so often. Back when I played The Last of Us I was as hyped as I ever get for anything weeby. And I played the game in two sittings... It is also why I tend to prefer long running US TV series over movies, as I have more time to get attached and spend time with the characters or universe. I've seen HIMYM and The Office a couple of times each. Anime is a bit of a different ballgame, as the long running stuff tends to be garbage. Don't know what it is, but there's a curse where the great stuff doesn't run long and even if something started off strong it shits out pretty quickly (Bleach's first three arcs were awesome, and it shit the bed right after and ran a few hundred episodes).

At least check out that video about Monogatari and French art films I linked, if nothing else it's a pretty damn video on it's own.

32 minutes ago, KingTacoMunster said:

The only anime I've watched/could watch was back in the day and that was dragon Ball z. Is that even anime? But the only reason I watched it was because it was on after school and it was weed time and my best friend was a huge fan...

Yeah, that counts, kinda. There isn't much in that shounen action/battle show genre that I enjoy much though.

32 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Anime: I enjoy some of it.

Sports: I like 'em, but don't go out of my way to watch 'em. I have my sports teams picked mostly based on what teams I liked as a kid.

Baseball - Cubs

Hockey - Sabres

Football - Dolphins/Colts

Basketball - Blazers

Soccer - Who cares about soccer?

This new Haruhi box is niiiiiiiice. The new 1080p bluray cut looks so much sharper than any of my nice digital rips or the DVDs. There hadn't been much new that I liked for a long time, but ReZero is amazing (episodes 15 and 18 are two of my favorite out of any series) and Konosuba is now one of my favorite comedies. It's so much dumb fun but well executed. Can't tell you much about ReZero without spoiling why it's so great, but it takes a couple episodes to get going, and the cringey stuff early on is done on purpose so tough it out. Here's someone circlejerking about why Konosuba is so funny and worth checking out. If you're interested totally go for it. Confirmed for a second season in January too

31 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I LIKED Cowboy Bebop and couldn't get myself to watch more than that.

I've read and truly enjoyed a handful of comics/graphic novels but just can not actually get into the medium either.

Hell, I hardly even read much of anything anymore. I stay busy and read for school all day, so when I get home the last thing I want to do is stare at any kind of book. Did just buy the book that John Danielle wrote so I will actually read that soon.

Anyway, I had better wrap this up before I turn this into "any anime nerds" 2.0. I'm sure I will circlejerk a bit again later, but that's it for now. As hard as I do tend to circlejerk, there's maybe forty series tops that I actually give a quarter of a shit about on the weeb side of things.

Edited by Holo

9 minutes ago, abovetheearth said:

don't be angry because my anime views will be like top 40 radio songs to you. 

grave of the fireflies

akira

ghost in the shell

perfect blue

It's all good stuff, but if you ever feel like checking some other stuff out, let me know and I can recommend some things that are actually worth your time and not SAO/Naruto/One Piece tier garbage.

6 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

If Grave of the Fireflies counts, I've seen a handful of Studio Ghibli films. Tried to watch GitS but couldn't get more than 10 minutes in. All I know about Perfect Blue is that Darren Aronofsky bought the remake rights so he could steal a shot for Requiem for a Dream.

2 minutes ago, abovetheearth said:

Black Swan kinda did a Perfect Blue too. 

I am weird and my like for classics is very hit and miss. Ghibli is just okay to me. Nobody lynch me please, thanks. I know why it is important, but it just isn't my cup of tea. Ghost in the Shell and Akira. Some others I have put off, like Perfect Blue. Managed to avoid spoilers, though, so I will eventually.

22 minutes ago, Holo said:

It's all good stuff, but if you ever feel like checking some other stuff out, let me know and I can recommend some things that are actually worth your time and not SAO/Naruto/One Piece tier garbage.

I am weird and my like for classics is very hit and miss. Ghibli is just okay to me. Nobody lynch me please, thanks. I know why it is important, but it just isn't my cup of tea. Ghost in the Shell and Akira. Some others I have put off, like Perfect Blue. Managed to avoid spoilers, though, so I will eventually.

Ghibli is a different beast from the usual (current) anime stuff. They're all fairytale type stuff and being entirely hand drawn for a lot of them...They're more art pieces than entertainment in my mind. Still super good, just not your run-of-the-mill anime.

I may have to check out the blu-ray Haruhi set. I have trouble rebuying stuff I already have, and I don't know that I can really resell my dvds for anything any more. I'm going to rewatch Cowboy bebop soon though.

24 minutes ago, Holo said:

Ghibli is a different beast from the usual (current) anime stuff. They're all fairytale type stuff and being entirely hand drawn for a lot of them...They're more art pieces than entertainment in my mind. Still super good, just not your run-of-the-mill anime.

I may have to check out the blu-ray Haruhi set. I have trouble rebuying stuff I already have, and I don't know that I can really resell my dvds for anything any more. I'm going to rewatch Cowboy bebop soon though.

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

That set will still be somewhat desirable because it has the CDs and other extras and whatnot. The box set this time has the original series, chibi thing, and the SOL spin off, but you can get just the proper series for like $40. Disappearance is theoretically coming out around Christmas, and that would make sense as to why that shitty art card box is included.

http://shop.funimation.com/Ultimate-Collectors-Edition

2 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I was, however, a varsity athlete and almost a state champion in High School. You know rowing? I was the little guy steering and yelling. I was damn good at it too. I'm super good at being small and bossy. I can yell like a motherfucker. I was good enough that despite constantly telling the coaches to go fuck themselves and giving them the finger, I never actually suffered any consequences. I was openly against authority and encouraged it among the rest of them team. But goddammit, we won races.

My last race we were less than a second off from medaling in a state championship. If only I'd yelled "ROW HARDER YOU FUCKING PIECES OF SHIT" just a little bit louder. They actually added a whole page to the team's code of conduct the next season because a bunch of parent's on shore heard me yell that and they complained. Allegedly one of the father's was going to punch me but his son was like "Uh...Kevin doesn't actually think I'm a piece of shit..." Jokes on him though, that kid was a piece of shit.

Kevin, without a doubt, you are one of the most entertaining people I've sadly never met.

14 minutes ago, GHOSTDRONES said:

Morning all... played Ice Hockey all through school and until I was 26.

Morning all

Hello Mr Ghost...unfortunately that's one sport I cannot get into. My grandparents however love it and have season tickets to the local team in Charleston SC. But I will pull for the Bruins...

I like Baseball and that's about it for sports, I know all the rules and probably followed them or played them at one point for every other major sports but unless it's the olympics or world cup or finals of said sport, fuck it. I dunno why baseball catches my interest other than growing up watching it with my dad but I have probably listened to 60+ Giants games this season, I have the MLB app

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic