how do you feel when the seller charged you more than actual shipping fee ?

for me, it's not fair.

if you're living outside the states or different country of the the seller. (in this case, an ebay seller) and he requires you pay more than what showed on front of a packet.

it's acceptable if it's just added 1-2 usd for handle or whatever fee. but when the seller says item fee is not cover listing fee, packing fee, packing material fee and blah blah blah.

i think it's not fair.

and you ? how do you think ?

i wanna hear people voice from the other countries too....

Mark up on shipping should be this:

Actual Cost

+

eBay/Paypal fees on shipping (13% yikes)

Cost of mailer if it is new

If an international package costs $12 to ship I charge $14. This is in fact actual cost not what is on the postage. 

Those that mark up their postage by several dollars are assholes. I always refund overages to International buyers. I hate overpaying for shipping myself and can't stand doing it to someone else. 

Meh. It's the cost of doing business. I try to ballpark what shipping will be, sometimes it works in my favor, sometimes it doesn't.

I use recycled mailers, but buy tape and markers and invest the time waiting in line at the post office - which is frustrating enough that I could charge double the amount of shipping just for that alone.

My thought is: deal with it, it will even out eventually.

from the standpoint of someone who ships alot of stuff internationally.. its a pain in the ass.

physical costs

-mailer

-cardboard inserts

-tape

-shipping label

time costs

-packaging

-filling out customs forms

-going to post office and having to wait in line to mail package since paypal is stupid and won't let you ship Int unless its priority (which is totally whack because you can do it through paypal if the purchase was thru ebay)

Now i don't know about you, but my time is extremely valuable, and because i work a day job it means i can generally only get to the post office on saturday morning (i can just drop off pre-labeled packages at anytime because i know the guy who runs the branch office at a gas station and he'll hold them for me).. so in reality any additional charge goes to cover the fact that i'm giving up a portion of my life to get you your record.

furthermore - Int shipping gets worse and worse every year... for some reason everything i've sent to germany in the past month has dissapeared, or been returned to me.. so in reality some of those costs goes to cover the amount of money we lose from other countries post offices being even worse than ours. It might sound shitty, but especially from a label standpoint you run on such tight margins already, you have to make up where you can.

I do the same, I make sure that the cost of the record+shipping is worth it as a whole.  For example, there was a record that I really wanted to purchase, but it was in Canada, so the cost all together was a bit more than i would like to spend.  However, that's a bit different because it is an international item.  If the seller wants to charge me too much for media mail then I will just skip on the purchase.  I do take things like supplies, and the time to go to the post office into account when paying shipping though. 

In regards to the time - I am a hobbyist so I don't factor that in except in the price of the item. If I ran a label and had to make money off of the labor of shipping it would certainly be a different story. If I charged for my time no one would buy my shit - "I'm too important to be captured" (name the reference and win a prize, seriously).

7"'s pretty much doubled. lps were usually $13.17. granted, first class international was pretty reasonable before but this is still a serious price increase. the least they could do is offer insurance now or some extra service to help offset the cost.

Agreed. Some tracking or insurance would make it worth it. I ship outside of the states all the time and while I generally have a positive experience certain things do disappear and I wind up eating the costs. Not to mention the headaches of trying to locate a package that doesn't arrive for a long time. Hell, in early-mid November I shipped something to Canada and it took over a month.

Mark up on shipping should be this:

Actual Cost

+

eBay/Paypal fees on shipping (13% yikes)

Cost of mailer if it is new

If an international package costs $12 to ship I charge $14. This is in fact actual cost not what is on the postage. 

Those that mark up their postage by several dollars are assholes. I always refund overages to International buyers. I hate overpaying for shipping myself and can't stand doing it to someone else. 

Well said. I did nearly the same thing when I sold from Japan. I used nice mailers that cost about a $1 each, but where designed to prevent damage to corners.

Most people on eBay from the US charges me $16 for an LP when the actual cost is $10.45 to $12.

eBay and PayPal should not take money from shipping. That is the problem.

just so you know, first class international is going up a ton on january 27th.

from us to europe, it's going to be $12.75 to ship a 7" and $18.70 to ship an lp.

Ugh.. I miss Japan, it only cost me $4 to ship a 7", ($6 for airmail) and $9 to ship an LP ($16 airmail), and those were my prices after mailers and fees.

eBay and PayPal should not take money from shipping. That is the problem.

Moonbeams hit on my pet peeve with eBay/Paypal. Why are they limiting what someone can charge for flat fee shipping and then taking a piece of it. It has always felt like shady practice. 

Again, I don't fault folks that are trying to make a living for a handling mark up - I'm a hobbyist and try to treat those I deal with on that level not as a professional.