how do you feel when the seller charged you more than actual shipping fee ?

from the standpoint of someone who ships alot of stuff internationally.. its a pain in the ass.

physical costs

-mailer

-cardboard inserts

-tape

-shipping label

time costs

-packaging

-filling out customs forms

-going to post office and having to wait in line to mail package since paypal is stupid and won't let you ship Int unless its priority (which is totally whack because you can do it through paypal if the purchase was thru ebay)

Now i don't know about you, but my time is extremely valuable, and because i work a day job it means i can generally only get to the post office on saturday morning (i can just drop off pre-labeled packages at anytime because i know the guy who runs the branch office at a gas station and he'll hold them for me).. so in reality any additional charge goes to cover the fact that i'm giving up a portion of my life to get you your record.

furthermore - Int shipping gets worse and worse every year... for some reason everything i've sent to germany in the past month has dissapeared, or been returned to me.. so in reality some of those costs goes to cover the amount of money we lose from other countries post offices being even worse than ours. It might sound shitty, but especially from a label standpoint you run on such tight margins already, you have to make up where you can.

To counter that though, someone just bought a record off of you at an extreme markup. Most likely on ebay you got a killer markup over what you actually paid for the record. I am choosing to give you my money in exchange for a good. I dont care if you have to stand in line at the post office, if it bothers you waiting in line dont sell shit online that needs to be shipped. You can stand in line and make a handsome profit or you can have no money and not wait in line, cant have both.

I know that I am in the minority here, but as a label I do not believe in charging for my time. With each release that I do, I spend hours/days/weeks creating the damn things and sell them for $10. If I were to input my TIME into the equation, some of these projects would be like buying a bar of gold! Those Bad Rabbits 10"s took me easily 1.5 hours EACH to create - multiply that by 275 records...

My ideology continues into shipping. I factor in all costs involved and nothing more. If I overcharge someone, I refund them.

I earn a wage at my day job, and this is a fun hobby for me. I have no problem sacrificing some time for the things that I love.

As a buyer, shipping fees are always taken into account. Whether it's ebay where I might bid less if I see the seller is charging more for shipping or something OOP that I find internationally but shipping makes it cost more than its worth.

As a seller, I pretty much stick to $4 - or $3 if it's just one 7". My international prices are jacked up for a few reasons 1) I'm not going to go to the post office twice to see how much it should be and come back and let the person know how much to pay me and then back to actually mail it, so I use one price for all international shipping (except Canada which I'll lower) 2) i still have to go to the post office and deal with the idiots that work there and stand in line 3) I try to add more protection (packaging wise) if I know it's going to be going far, taking more time and being in more peoples hands and 4) Since I can't put tracking on international stuff for less than like $30 and I know paypal will side with the buyer since I didn't - some of that extra goes to cover any losses I might incur for a package getting lost. If for whatever reason shipping is much cheaper than usual I'll refund the buyer a couple bucks afterwards.

As far as ebay taking a % of shipping charges, it really makes no difference. They want you to have lower shipping costs. If you don't want them to take a % then start your auction $4.00 higher. They're going to get the money either way. I do have an issue with them capping how much shipping can be and then taking a %.

I know that I am in the minority here, but as a label I do not believe in charging for my time. With each release that I do, I spend hours/days/weeks creating the damn things and sell them for $10. If I were to input my TIME into the equation, some of these projects would be like buying a bar of gold! Those Bad Rabbits 10"s took me easily 1.5 hours EACH to create - multiply that by 275 records...

My ideology continues into shipping. I factor in all costs involved and nothing more. If I overcharge someone, I refund them.

I earn a wage at my day job, and this is a fun hobby for me. I have no problem sacrificing some time for the things that I love.

Wanna help me move? 

You're to nice.  Even if it is a hobby charging a reasonable amount for your time would only help you with future releases.

Well said. I did nearly the same thing when I sold from Japan. I used nice mailers that cost about a $1 each, but where designed to prevent damage to corners.Most people on eBay from the US charges me $16 for an LP when the actual cost is $10.45 to $12.eBay and PayPal should not take money from shipping. That is the problem.

Long time back people started listing there items for a .01 and putting the rest on shipping. To avoid the final value fee. Ebay fixed that loop hole and started charging shipping costs.

To counter that though, someone just bought a record off of you at an extreme markup. Most likely on ebay you got a killer markup over what you actually paid for the record. I am choosing to give you my money in exchange for a good. I dont care if you have to stand in line at the post office, if it bothers you waiting in line dont sell shit online that needs to be shipped. You can stand in line and make a handsome profit or you can have no money and not wait in line, cant have both.

So its the sellers fault now that someone is paying more for a record? Supply and demand

I would never purposely over-inflate shipping; but if there's a difference of a couple of dollars I don't see the big deal. If you buy and sell enough it eventually evens out.

But anyone who doesn't think time is money is just silly. I don't add money to a shipping cost because I have to wait in line at the post office, but it is a pain in the ass for people who work 9-to-5 to get there during the week and leaves Saturday as the only option - not how I want to spend my Saturday morning.

If it's Ebay, it doesn't matter what the sellers charge. It should all be factored into the total anyways. Either you're willing to pay that total, or you aren't. Ebay absolutely kills sellers with fees; if a seller tries compensating through shipping, I don't mind/

A bigger problem is when labels charge $7-$10 for one LP

Yea, I have a much bigger problem with labels grossly overcharging.

For example, Manchester Orchestra's new big cartel webstore ships a CD for $2.50, a t-shirt for $3.50, and an LP for $7.50. Not only that, but they charge another $7.50 for every record you buy. So if you want two records it will be $15 or for three it would be $22.50. Absolutely ridiculous. I brought it up to their attention on their Facebook page when they had their 25% sale last month and they said they would look into it, but it doesn't seem like anything has been done to remedy the situation.

That's the kind of shit that pisses me off. Just seems like they don't give a fuck that you would be paying over twice as much as normal to ship two records.

The only time I've ever been bothered by this was when a seller charged me for priority mail, didn't ship my item for a week, and shipped it media mail.. oh did I mention there was no tracking information either? Unless someone does something like that it doesn't really bug me.

This. If I pay for a certain shipping type, I want that. Also if a package isn't going the shipped with a week (which I think is more than patient), I'd like to be informed. It's the courteous thing to do.

However, if it is a fairly big label that most likely gets their mail picked up for them, and at minimum gets a bulk discount on shipping supplies and they STILL try to fuck ya, then bitch all you want.  It probably won't change their margins minds, but perhaps.

Then there's also the possibility of buying elsewhere.

I have bough records many of times from different sources due solely on their shipping fees.  If someone sticks out as being more dishonest than the next guy, then I'll buy from the other guy.

Wanna help me move?

You're to nice. Even if it is a hobby charging a reasonable amount for your time would only help you with future releases.

I will totally help you move! Haha!

But my theory is this: I would rather put out a handful of fun releases and sink a bunch of time into making them extra cool and doing shit no one else will do & keep it extra affordable than charge a few extra dollars and do more releases.

Again, I know I'm in the minority.

Plus, I leave the house nearly every day. I make stops at the post office on my way to work or running errands - two birds, one stone. No need for someone to pay me to pick up toilet paper at Target.

as an international buyer, im used to paying quite a bit for shipping. i usually buy a few at once to offset the postage price and make it worthwhile, but sometimes this can result in extra customs charges that can be £11, £20, £25 or more. its a catch-22 and it sucks. i dont even wanna think about how much money ive spent on postage and customs, otherwise ill probably cry, but its the price you have to pay if you want a certain record. having said that, i do think $40-$50 is kind of extortionate for int. shipping.

just so you know, first class international is going up a ton on january 27th.

from us to europe, it's going to be $12.75 to ship a 7" and $18.70 to ship an lp.

Is there anywhere I can find a breakdown of what it is going to cost to ship 1, 2, 3.. lps after january 27th? I checked the usps website but all those ounces and lbs and stuff get me way to confused... thx