anyone been rejected by post office to ship through media mail?

As if it wasn't easier, you can schedule to have all your outgoing parcels picked up at your HOME:

https://tools.usps.com/go/ScheduleAPickupAction!input.action

Hell yes. It's 2013 folks, sending a package is about as easy and trouble-free as it gets. My carrier picked up 6 yesterday and 1 today. (6 Media Mail & 1 International)

As long as you list 1 item as Priority Mail when you schedule your pick-up, the carrier that actually picks it up doesn't know/give a fuck what it is.

This is straight from my mail lady's mouth. It may also help that I throw her some $20's a couple times a year for walking up my driveway and dealing with my record buying/selling/trading bullshit. hahaha

It may also help that I throw her some $20's a couple times a year for walking up my driveway and dealing with my record buying/selling/trading bullshit. hahaha

this definitely goes a long way.  i give good xmas tips to my mail lady, so she drives down my driveway and puts my records in a covered location every time instead of leaving them sitting up by the road

I've never felt obligated to hook up the postal person. I've always lived in a house where they usually delivered. But now I'm in an apartment and we never have a regular person. Oh man, makes all the difference. Finally got a regular guy that will bring my packages to my door. His name is Troy. If I can give him card with a $20 this Christmas, I will.

• 11 months later...

Well, hello, this is a bit off topic but relevant enough, lol.

I currently sent 2 packages via media mail, one was delivered and the other has yet to change tracking scan.

I did get a letter saying "didn't qualify...blah blah blah".

I had the packages picked up January 17th, 2014, it's the 23rd now and it still shows up as departed sorting facility on the 17th @ 00:00 which would be the 18th.  Route was from Racine, Wisconsin to Port St. John, Florida.  I know MLK day was no mail and USPS is slow to begin with.

I guess my question is "what happens to your package if it doesn't qualify?"

I printed my labels from eBay labels for a sale I made on an item worth IMO $15, but auction ended at $7 (I also said I would include free shipping).  It was a liquor poster (yaya, I know) and wasn't about to lose money, so I made my own strong as hell fucking tank indestructable triangular tube.  Total weight of package was 13.5oz so I knew it was .5 over First Class and I sure as hell wasn't going to ship Priority. 

I am confused as to where the package is and googled "rejected mail" and found this site, lol.  I am a new seller to eBay since mid December 2013 and have had good sales so far, grossing almost $200, also learned how USPS personnel can be..............

If my triangular tube is in the shredder and I receive a bad feedback, so help me god!

Tracking number for those who want to check, I could care less if you view it.  9449009699938126520128

Your buyer will probably receive a "Postage Due" notice and will then have to go to their PO, pay the difference on an "acceptable" shipping method (likely Priority Mail) to receive the package, hassle you via ebay or even file some sort of PayPal claim to get your attention, you reimburse the difference he paid to get the package + some scratch for the hassle, and hope he doesn't jack your feedback.

I've only had one USPS employee tell me I couldn't mail records with media mail. She did it twice, but both times I told her "I've mailed records with media mail several times before" and she allowed it. Apparently, it had been long enough between those two instances for her to forget.

Now, since I ship mail order stuff for my internship on a weekly or bi-weekly basis and 90% of it ships media mail (and probably 90% of the media mail stuff is records), every employee at my local USPS branch knows what's up.

I had a pretty good relationship with my post office from being an eBay seller, and I even got the grumpy guy everyone hates to like me.

One time had the "you can't ship records" from someone new to the window at the branch, and all the postal workers that knew me, backed me up and it was solved.

I started shipping online to save time and I learned the "one pound trick".  I buy my mailers in bulk, so they are always the same weight, weighed several records in them and found...single LP's in my mailers are 1 pound or less (everything under a pound gets the same prices as a pound).  Media mail is charged in pounds, so any orders of 2-3 LP's or any double LP's are two pounds.  You save so much money on delivery confirmation, and you save the time waiting at the post office.  Which since I now live in Southern, CA saves me HOURS and HOURS of time each week!!

The stipulations on USPS' website (http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/173.htm) that "sound recordings" are allowed. Media Mail was designed to ship music, CDs, DVDs, and things of that nature. I would argue the fact with them by showing them the print out of the USPS' own policy. Either that, or print the labels yourself or go to a different post office. You shouldn't be having this problem at all.

I had a pretty good relationship with my post office from being an eBay seller, and I even got the grumpy guy everyone hates to like me.

One time had the "you can't ship records" from someone new to the window at the branch, and all the postal workers that knew me, backed me up and it was solved.

Now it's time to ask for a blumpkin!

There has been an instance where they didn't allow me to ship Media Mail. I happened the Mailer all taped up and ready, but since its "Subject to Inspection" and I had no other roll of tape on me I said screw it and just take the extra $5 for your "First Class" Shipping. Mind you most of the workers at the PO know me. Now to be safe I just leave my mailers open and show them its a record (In case they don't believe me).

I've only been questions once by my postal worker.

Here's how it went down:

Me: Hey, can I give you this to ship out please?

Postal worker: Yeah, let me see that...

(Hands over per-packaged record with media mail postage already printed and paid for)

Postal worker: Hmmm, this is marked as media mail... What's packed inside of it?

Me: A vinyl record.

Postal worker: Oh, yep, that qualifies as media mail.  What are you, one of these hipster types?

Me: Uh, well... um.  I guess.

Postal worker: (shaking his head as we walks away, mumbling to himself) Who still listens to vinyl records these days?

/scene

True story.

Not sure if anyone else posted this yet but what you were told are the 'library mail' rules not 'media mail'. I am referring to:

"education and learning purposes only"

Here is a link to the media mail rules in their manual (Which someone posted): http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/173.htm#1113509

Note vinyl fits under 4.1e

There are no sender restrictions listed under media mail but there are for library mail 5.1 & 5.2 which is what I think your USPS person is quoting. Tell them to read section 173 in their manual over again :)