The Official Horror Thread

Rip

I'm watching "You're Next" and this is pretty damn good

Update : the ending was fucking weak as hell, especially with that speech! Overall 6.5/10

I watched 'You're Next' as well last night. Felt pretty much the same as you did. One thing I couldn't grasp was whether they were trying to be humorous with some things. Mostly it seemed pretty serious, but somethings were just ridiculous. Like:

The brother saying "I could totally run the fastest if I didn't have this arrow in me." Really?

And the blender. The blender was so much more over the top than anything else in the film, that it just seemed cheesy. For me, it just went down hill after that.

I watched 'You're Next' as well last night. Felt pretty much the same as you did. One thing I couldn't grasp was whether they were trying to be humorous with some things. Mostly it seemed pretty serious, but somethings were just ridiculous. Like:

The brother saying "I could totally run the fastest if I didn't have this arrow in me." Really?

And the blender. The blender was so much more over the top than anything else in the film, that it just seemed cheesy. For me, it just went down hill after that.

The 1st time I saw it I was like "why did reviews of this call it a black comedy?". I've watched it a couple times since & found myself chuckling...

I went to see a Ghost concert with Sharni Vinson and it may have been the best hour of my life.

I write for a horror mag and work for a prominent convention...one of my colleagues/best friend has a full-time business managing celebrities for appearances.  Occassionally I'll travel with him and help him out assisting his clients for the weekend.  This was the case back in May down in Dallas, TX for a show.  I got to assist Sharni all weekend, then we secured free passes to a private suite to watch Ghost perform at the House of Blues (the band came to the convention and were fans of my buddy's clients so they offered this up as a thank you for the free photo-ops and autographs).  We told Sharni about it so she joined the 3 of us and it was pretty fucking great; she is one cool bitch.

I saw You're Next in theaters knowing nothing but "Apparently it's better than it looks" and walked out thinking "holy shit that was an awesome surprise."

it was a neat inversion of the "final girl" trope where she essentially becomes the slasher villain. Plus the blender kill was amazing and made me cheer while my girlfriend rolled her eyes at me

I've never been to a horror convention, seems too expensive an endeavor. But I have been to 5 12 hour 35mm horror/exploitation marathons in the last 2 years. I'm really lucky to have a local event that happens twice a year. They might have to movie venues and I'm really bumme at the idea of not being able to go. I'm actually wearing my "Kurt Russell in the style of Judas Priest's Hellbent for Leather album cover" shirt from last year when they had Escape from NY and The Thing as headliners.

Check out Grave Encounters. It's a fun watch and actually scared the shit out of me when I first watched it. Some real, well done creepy stuff.

I know I've already mentioned Grave Encounters in here but backing this. Not the best horror movie I've seen but I still really enjoyed it. If you go in on found footage, The Tunnel and the first two [REC] movies are always fun imo.

• Rip changed the title to The Official Horror Thread