PO: My Bloody Valentine - New Album 180 gram

such as?

Well.  The value of a dollar, for starters.

It's the exact mentality you've described that's leading everyone to believe it's alright to charge $40+ PPD for a single LP.  I've been buying vinyl long enough to know that a retail album shouldn't cost that much.  More power to you if you've got a roll of $20 bills next to your toilet at all times, but I personally do not.  I have to be a little more savvy with my purchases.  I understand that it's The Hobby™, but that doesn't necessarily justify paying whatever ridiculous prices anyone asks.  $40 LPs today; $60 LPs tomorrow.  Prices are determined from market and fanbase... and if everyone continues to gut their wallets "because it's common", things will only continue to grow worse, in my opinion.

And I get that this was self-released.  And that it's not exactly the cheapest or easiest way to distribute your music.  But the vast majority of a CD or vinyl's sales go straight to the record label.  And without one in the picture, you'd assume this would be at least realistically priced, you know?  Maybe that's just me.  It's for this same reason that I couldn't do $35 PPD for the latest Circa Survive album.

Just my take.  And everyone will have different opinions and values about this release and its cost.  But to say "I buy what I want when I want it; if you can't keep up, that's your loss" is pretty narrow-minded and naive.

It's understandable to drop this kind of money on a record if you really like it. Personally I don't think the album is that good after listening to it on youtube. Am I the only one thinking this? I think I saw just one other person on here say it's not that great. Maybe the fact that they haven't done anything in over 20 years is sort of forcing people to enjoy the new album. Because who would want to believe they disappeared for 20+ years only to come back with a crappy album? I dunno, I'm just not feelin it. Then again I am by no means a huge MBV fan to begin with. I just think compared to 20 years ago this is pretty underwhelming.

Can't really justify dropping 40 bucks on this.

I find it kinda hypocritical for people to complain about vinyl prices in other threads, yet somehow find a way to defend this because "WELL IT'S BEEN SO LONG" or "ITS GONNA BE A MASTERPIECE."

I for the record, have no problem paying a premium for a quality release of an incredible album. Plus, just look at all the hysteria over the $30 Thrice/MO 12" single...

It's understandable to drop this kind of money on a record if you really like it. Personally I don't think the album is that good after listening to it on youtube. Am I the only one thinking this? I think I saw just one other person on here say it's not that great. Maybe the fact that they haven't done anything in over 20 years is sort of forcing people to enjoy the new album. Because who would want to believe they disappeared for 20+ years only to come back with a crappy album? I dunno, I'm just not feelin it. Then again I am by no means a huge MBV fan to begin with. I just think compared to 20 years ago this is pretty underwhelming.

I think this album is on par with Loveless (not necessarily meaning better or worse) which is an incredible salute to a band that hasnt done it in 20 years.

Still no order confirmation email. No biggie. But I do have a question for anyone else who ordered. When you go to your order page to see it, does it list your state (if you live in the U.S.) in the billing/delivery address?

Mine is not showing it for some reason. Everything else is there. Odd. 

Guest deathbydrums

Still no order confirmation email. No biggie. But I do have a question for anyone else who ordered. When you go to your order page to see it, does it list your state (if you live in the U.S.) in the billing/delivery address?

Mine is not showing it for some reason. Everything else is there. Odd. 

I'm sure you know this but just in case.... check your junk folder.  Mine was there.

Also, surprised no one is talking about this being 100% "all analog".  When they actually go to press these records, does that take longer?  From my very limited understanding most recordings (even analog) are digitized during the last stages of putting to wax.  Seems this process is the reason they are stating that it is limited edition.  Googled it but I don't feel any smarter for that.

Some clarity?

Regardless of what you think, the Plain LP isn't worth the vinyl it's pressed on. It's the CD pressed to vinyl. So you are hearing an inferior version of the CD.

This album is good, but I can't help but keep thinking that anyone who wanted to create a follow up to Loveless could have created this. It seems like a formula. It's sad it took him this long to essentially continue what he did on Loveless.

You know what you're right. I don't know what a good sounding record sounds like. I'm just going to throw it out.

I'm in the boat of people who bitch about $40-retail records, and can't quite justify this purchase. Yet. The album is decent enough, but the whole CD / digital scalping (and $11 media mail) is making me a little apprehensive.

It's supposedly being shipped from the UK so the shipping cost is justified. For a bundle, the price is fair. The stand alone vinyl will get released eventually. Hell, most people didn't even think the vinyl was going to come out this soon anyway.

I thought this album would have been better, considering the glowing reviews!

I think its pretty good! gets better with more listens for sure! So many other great shoegaze albums out today and the past few years! 

Progression...MBV paved the way....shoegaze has been reinvented (ie The Radio Dept.) and I prefer the latter...because we are living in the latter! 

Nonetheless, I bought this because I am a die hard shoegaze fan and its a necessary piece in its history!

You know what you're right. I don't know what a good sounding record sounds like. I'm just going to throw it out.

It still doesn't mean it should have been pressed. You can save money and just buy the CD version.

It still doesn't mean it should have been pressed. You can save money and just buy the CD version.

this isn't totally true. a good stylus/cart/table/pre-amp/receiver/speaker set-up can still pick up nuances and warmness that a cd player won't pick up. though i think it's mostly disappointing when vinyl is mastered from a cd source, you'd probably have to get rid of a majority of your collection to completely stand by this opinion.

this isn't totally true. a good stylus/cart/table/pre-amp/receiver/speaker set-up can still pick up nuances and warmness that a cd player won't pick up. though i think it's mostly disappointing when vinyl is mastered from a cd source, you'd probably have to get rid of a majority of your collection to completely stand by this opinion.

The albums that I do have that are digital, I bought for the art. I'd have to say that most of the albums I own are from tape, not that it really matters. I don't remember my copy of Loveless standing out as sounding good but I might have to go back and give it a listen. I didn't know anything about Plain when I purchased it.

The albums that I do have that are digital, I bought for the art. I'd have to say that most of the albums I own are from tape, not that it really matters. I don't remember my copy of Loveless standing out as sounding good but I might have to go back and give it a listen. I didn't know anything about Plain when I purchased it.

Just because a record is from a digital source doesn't mean it will sound bad, or even better than an LP from an all analog source. A commercial CD pressed to vinyl will probably sound bad because commercial CD's are dynamically compressed nowadays. But, if they get the digital files sans dynamic compression, they could sound great. Especially if the A/D converter that the plant is using is better than the one you have in your CD player (and in 98% of the cases, it's probably much, much better). And if an LP is pressed from a digital source, minus dynamic compression, then it's possible for the vinyl to sound better than the commercial CD on a good turntable.

I've found it's more about mastering than anything else.

As for the Plain reissue of Loveless, I think the reason it gets a bum wrap is because it WAS the commercial CD pressed to vinyl. Personally I haven't heard it, but I guess it could sound fine, as long as they used a CD pre loudness wars.

People are willing to spend more money on better music.  I don't think that makes them hypocrites, just means they like music.  If you're somebody willing to spend $40.00 on an album because it's pressed on glow-in-the-dark purple vinyl and limited to 100 copies but not willing to spend $40.00 on a great album (vinyl/cd/digital included) then I think you might be better off collecting comic books.

This album seems worth it. It has nearly everything we've been clamoring about. High quality vinyl, 100% analog source, it comes with a CD for your convenience, and you can get a download NOW, and not only that, you can get lossless and hi-res lossless for the same cost. That price also includes overseas shipping. Also, the music is not dynamically compressed! It is not a victim of the loudness war, and that is so rare these days!

I wish more releases were like this.

$40 for some record pressed at United on some lame splatter color, with a flimsy jacket and no insert, yeah, that's a bummer.

I thought I was losing

I downloaded the 320kps MP3s of it and they sound a bit low in volume. Anyone else notice that? I had to crank up the volume on my computer to listen.

I was all set to crank this up in the car and I was thoroughly baffled. Apparently, the 320 mp3 is a bust. I just downloaded the 320 that was converted from the wav files, so we'll see how that goes.

I downloaded the 320kps MP3s of it and they sound a bit low in volume. Anyone else notice that? I had to crank up the volume on my computer to listen.

The reason why they sound so low in volume is because of what I was saying earlier... dynamic compression. Nearly all new CD's are dynamically compressed, meaning, the softer parts are made louder so everything is just really LOUD! Google "loudness wars" for full details. This album is not a victim of it, and for those of us who notice a difference, this is a breath of fresh air! Just turn it up a bit louder and enjoy!