PO: Fall Out Boy - Save Rock and Roll (5/7)

I don't know how serious you guys are being about the whole 11" thing, but when I played this yesterday it definitely looked like a 10". The gatefold looks about two inches shorter than all of my other records on the shelf, as well.

You couldn't just take a ruler a verify it for yourself?

alright, got my 10" in the mail today....I have listened to this album 3 times now and every time I listen I hate it more...

I keep seeing things I wish they would have done differently...I don't know if Butch Walker played a part in that or what...

If I would pick one word to describe this album it would be "Lazy"

I hate to be a bitch, but I do not get this album at all...

I'm hoping it will click later, but I am not counting on it...

alright, got my 10" in the mail today....I have listened to this album 3 times now and every time I listen I hate it more...

I keep seeing things I wish they would have done differently...I don't know if Butch Walker played a part in that or what...

I'll buy it from you

I don't mean this to sound combative, I'm actually curious. What were you expecting/what would you have had them do differently? I ask because upon first listen I liked the album but was still questioning whether or not I'd want to listen to it that often. Now I cant stop listening. I personally don't find it to be lazy, I find it to be a lot of fun to listen to. Glad you gave it a chance rather than just writing it off based on Light em Up. I hope it grows on you

I don't mean this to sound combative, I'm actually curious. What were you expecting/what would you have had them do differently? I ask because upon first listen I liked the album but was still questioning whether or not I'd want to listen to it that often. Now I cant stop listening. I personally don't find it to be lazy, I find it to be a lot of fun to listen to. Glad you gave it a chance rather than just writing it off based on Light em Up. I hope it grows on you

I find a lot of the writing lyrically pretty lazy, take for instance the single..."my songs know what you did in the dark so light them up, I'm on fire" I'm not even sure I know what that means. "light them up" and "I'm on fire" are loaded club phrases. Also the whole "lets be young forever" is very cliche. Somewhere in that song he says something to the effect of "wake up dead" which is impossible. The chorus of The Phoenix is probably the weakest simile ever. 

I also feel like Andy is extremely under utilized. I feel bad that he has to play these weak and annoying stomp kick beats constantly. 

I hate the effect that is used on Patricks vocals throughout the record. The dudes voice is one of the best in music today...he does not need any effects on his voice. 

I also am not sure what Joe contributed either, where are the guitars on this record?

The end of Save Rock and Roll is really anti climatic for me. I love most of that song, but I hate the way it ends. It should be at least 2 minutes longer with Patrick doing more runs and shredding vocally. It just kind of ends. Where is the epicness that happened in What A Catch Donnie. Now that was a fucking song...

thats basically it...don't get me wrong, I love fall out boy, I will continue to try and understand this record, but I don't see this as a progression from Folie. I don't understand why the band went this route and I don't get why everyone is jumping on the Album of the Year bandwagon...

I'm glad you guys are digging it though...

And no, I am not selling my copy...hah

Also, an interesting question...

Why are we trying to "save rock and roll" and who are we saving it from? What is the definition or Rock and Roll? My definition of Rock and Roll is fucking Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath and shit...and I see none of that on this record...

If anything they are saving pop....which I can get behind...because it needs saving...

As for Rock and Roll...Its dead...The world shot it in the chest and in the head 

Also, an interesting question...

Why are we trying to "save rock and roll" and who are we saving it from? What is the definition or Rock and Roll? My definition of Rock and Roll is fucking Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath and shit...and I see none of that on this record...

If anything they are saving pop....which I can get behind...because it needs saving...

As for Rock and Roll...Its dead...The world shot it in the chest and in the head 

I think it has been said before but they mean save rock n roll as in everything except rock n roll

I actually love the chorus of The Phoenix. To me it feels like they're having a conversation with their former selves. Instead of "wearing our vintage misery" and remaking what they've already done, they're changing the game (remix) and leaving their old stuff where it belongs. I'm not suggesting that you should like every line in these songs but there are plenty of great ones on this album.

"I'm here to give you all my love so I can watch your face as I take it all away"

"My childhood spat back out the monster that you see"

Pretty much all of Miss missing you.

Also the case could be made that their previous albums have had not so great lines as well.

I have to say the song I was most let down by was the title track, but only because like you I was comparing it to What A Catch, Donnie. On its own I think it's a great song but I can't help but want it to be better. I get where you're coming from there.

It's easy for me to like this album cause I've always wondered how FOB would sound if they went straight pop. The beginning of The (Shipped) Gold Standard always made me wonder more. Before the drums kick in it sounds completely different. I'm still not sure where this album falls for me in relation to the others. Infinity on High is my current favorite. Time will give this one a place.

I should stop rambling but I think when Andy plays these songs live they're going to be taken to a completely different level. I'm excited to see that in June. Especially since Patrick has never sounded better.

I agree with everything thispartysucks is saying about this record.

Where is Joe at on this record? Having Andy play these beats that all sound super similar is such a waste of his talent.

To me, and this is just my opinion.....this is a Patrick Stump record under the name of Fall Out Boy