PO: Fall Out Boy - Save Rock and Roll (5/7)

I kind of took "Save Rock & Roll" (the song) as an answer to everyone constantly inquiring about when they were going to get the band back together and being told to stick to their roots, etc. IE: Patrick's solo stuff & Joe/Andy's metal stuff going in a direction other than "emo." Especially with the last verse & bridge:

Blood brothers in desperation
An oath of silence
For the voice of our generation
How'd it get to be only me?
Like I'm the last damn kid still kicking
That still believes

I will defend the faith
Going down swinging
I will save the songs
That we can't stop singing

I actually love the chorus of The Phoenix. To me it feels like they're having a conversation with their former selves. Instead of "wearing our vintage misery" and remaking what they've already done, they're changing the game (remix) and leaving their old stuff where it belongs. I'm not suggesting that you should like every line in these songs but there are plenty of great ones on this album.

"I'm here to give you all my love so I can watch your face as I take it all away"

"My childhood spat back out the monster that you see"

Pretty much all of Miss missing you.

Also the case could be made that their previous albums have had not so great lines as well.

I have to say the song I was most let down by was the title track, but only because like you I was comparing it to What A Catch, Donnie. On its own I think it's a great song but I can't help but want it to be better. I get where you're coming from there.

It's easy for me to like this album cause I've always wondered how FOB would sound if they went straight pop. The beginning of The (Shipped) Gold Standard always made me wonder more. Before the drums kick in it sounds completely different. I'm still not sure where this album falls for me in relation to the others. Infinity on High is my current favorite. Time will give this one a place.

I should stop rambling but I think when Andy plays these songs live they're going to be taken to a completely different level. I'm excited to see that in June. Especially since Patrick has never sounded better.

I see where you are coming from, but the bad lyrics stick out more in this record because most of them are in the choruses...I do like the wearing all vintage misery but I think it looks a little better on me line, but that doesn't excuse the cliche and weak phoenix/remix lines...

It is hard for me to pick my favorite because I am so nostalgic when it comes to take this to your grave, but I think their best and most original is Infinity on High and I think that is the one I would go back to most often to listen to. The After Life of the Party is probably my favorite fall out boy song of all time. Listen to the lyrics on that record compared to this one...they aren't even comparable. 

I am not surprised they went straight pop because that is where the money is...I mean...if you had the opportunity, why wouldn't you take it. I don't think this album was written for me as a fan...I think it was written for a new audience and that kind of bums me out because I have a ton of great memories tied to every fall out boy record and I feel like this is the end of the ride for me...

I would be very curious to see how they play these songs live...I hope the show is great and you have a good time man...

I also agree that when the effect isn't on Patricks vocals...He is on fire...mainly the verses of Phoenix and Save Rock and Roll

Thanks for having a nice, chilled discussion with me. I really appreciate it!

Absolutely. And I have to agree with The After Life of The Party. It's perfect, and it's the song that hit me the hardest on IOH.

Awesome, 

Honestly I think someone needs to do a repress of that because it is the only thing of theirs I do not have on vinyl

I've been hoping for a hottopic repress, but no dice so far...

So I've had time to listen to this a couple times, and I would probably give it 3 out of 5 stars. My favorite songs are: The Phoenix, The Mighty Fall, Death Valley, and Rat A Tat. The rest aren't bad, but they're not my cup of tea. 

I did like how in Save Rock And Roll, they payed tribute to Chicago Is So Two Years Ago with the "until your breathing stops, forever", but it kept me waiting for another What A Catch, Donnie, but that didn't happen. 

This won't be my go to Fall Out Boy album, but it's not the worst album ever. Take This To Your Grave will always have a special place in my heart, and will be what I think of as Fall Out Boy. 

But anyway, yes Save Rock And Roll is definitely a big step from Folie a Deux. If someone new listens to this album and starts liking FOB, that's awesome; maybe they'll listen to their back catalog and realize how great of a (pop punk/emo/rock/whatever you want to say) band they were. 

Honestly Patrick Stump will always be the best part about FOB. The interesting lyrics and guitar breakdowns were cool and all and even this album has its own special flair which at its core is very FOB-ish but I think I would most likely enjoy anything with Patrick singing. The transition of genres this band has gone through sorta justifies that belief. I honestly have to wonder from a purely objective standpoint if I would like this album without Patrick's vocals. Honestly its a big maybe and leaning to no. I think the songs sound great and I love more than just the vocals on the album but its what ties everything together and makes the album feel special.

Honestly those who feel Patrick should just stick to solo stuff if this is the sorta style he wants to explore make me think I honestly would not care either way. I feel Pete's influence on the band add more dynamic but at the end of the day I could care less what name his work is under as long as its up to par and the vocals at the best part about SR&R.

Its a pop album and while the title may confuse or even 'anger' some easily offended people the album was meant to make a statement and be grand. I won't try and call it a rock album or express dismay that I assumed it would be. At the end of the day its a really good album that has a 'big' feeling to it and is a hell of a comeback. The best albums that have ever released make people debate, take a more critical stance, and are polarizing among core fan base. I think this album will do fine in its own right as it express what the band wanted to do in the way they wanted to do it and is making the proper splash that for every lost fan they have the chance to pick up new ones via new generations of listeners and those who tastes align with pop sensibilities even more...Also thank god no sad poem before the last song...

I agree with everything thispartysucks is saying about this record.

Where is Joe at on this record? Having Andy play these beats that all sound super similar is such a waste of his talent.

To me, and this is just my opinion.....this is a Patrick Stump record under the name of Fall Out Boy

Joe said he co-wrote a lot of the album with Patrick. I don't hate this album. I like some of it. I do agree for the most part it sounds like a Patrick solo album with Pete lyrics.

Honestly Patrick Stump will always be the best part about FOB. The interesting lyrics and guitar breakdowns were cool and all and even this album has its own special flair which at its core is very FOB-ish but I think I would most likely enjoy anything with Patrick singing. The transition of genres this band has gone through sorta justifies that belief. I honestly have to wonder from a purely objective standpoint if I would like this album without Patrick's vocals. Honestly its a big maybe and leaning to no. I think the songs sound great and I love more than just the vocals on the album but its what ties everything together and makes the album feel special.

Honestly those who feel Patrick should just stick to solo stuff if this is the sorta style he wants to explore make me think I honestly would not care either way. I feel Pete's influence on the band add more dynamic but at the end of the day I could care less what name his work is under as long as its up to par and the vocals at the best part about SR&R.

Its a pop album and while the title may confuse or even 'anger' some easily offended people the album was meant to make a statement and be grand. I won't try and call it a rock album or express dismay that I assumed it would be. At the end of the day its a really good album that has a 'big' feeling to it and is a hell of a comeback. The best albums that have ever released make people debate, take a more critical stance, and are polarizing among core fan base. I think this album will do fine in its own right as it express what the band wanted to do in the way they wanted to do it and is making the proper splash that for every lost fan they have the chance to pick up new ones via new generations of listeners and those who tastes align with pop sensibilities even more...Also thank god no sad poem before the last song...

I think this pretty much sums it up for me. Very well said.

Its a pop album and while the title may confuse or even 'anger' some easily offended people the album was meant to make a statement and be grand. I won't try and call it a rock album or express dismay that I assumed it would be. At the end of the day its a really good album that has a 'big' feeling to it and is a hell of a comeback. The best albums that have ever released make people debate, take a more critical stance, and are polarizing among core fan base. I think this album will do fine in its own right as it express what the band wanted to do in the way they wanted to do it and is making the proper splash that for every lost fan they have the chance to pick up new ones via new generations of listeners and those who tastes align with pop sensibilities even more...Also thank god no sad poem before the last song...

Did patrick write the lyrics for this album?

Did patrick write the lyrics for this album?

I believe it was a fairly collaborative process with pete and patrick mostly at the helm but Andy and Joe not left out from what I gathered from interviews. A lot of the songs seem to have both a pete and patrick writing style mix imo. Pete is more wild and more metaphoric and Patrick is more soulful and poppy.

Amoeba had one copy tonight so I picked it up

ce80ebc8a7de11e2babb22000a1e868c_7.jpg

So, I looked semi-hard, but couldn't find any pressing info or even who has what colors or even who has it or who doesn't. Any thoughts anyone? I know HT doesn't have it [yet?]. Looked around at StrictlyDiscs and Amoeba just for kicks. One says backordered, one doesn't list it. Best Buy has it backordered. Curious if there are multiple variants or if I'm looking at all the same ones.

hehe, semi-hard, get it?

so i had a question regarding this release.

i preordered the cd and vinyl along with the poster from their site, and received it from go merch a few days ago. i was surprised that there was no booklet or paper insert in either of the pockets of the vinyl sleeve. i thought there would at least be a 2 sided glossy paper with lyrics or something. well, i was just on deadformat.net and decided to look to see if there were any pictures of this release on there yet, and low and behold there are 5 or so pictures including a few showing a paper insert with artwork similar to the cd booklet. should i contact go merch and ask them if they can somehow get me one of these?