Laserdiscs?

Does anyone else enjoy laserdiscs? Or used to?

My dad has a sizeable stash of the things, and I recently came to the realization that in some specific cases (The original Star Wars Trilogy*, for example), Laserdisc is a really good way to see the movies.

I also just like the idea of having the LDs right by my record collection. And the fact that you can get things stupid cheap nowadays. Unless you're looking for End of Days on Laserdisc, which... Yeah...

Does anyone else dig this other old format?

*a buddy of mine actually pointed out to me that the format was really one of the better ways to view the original, pre-special edition trilogy, and if you're not wanting to spend the coin on that original trilogy dvd box set that can run around $100, and if you can get a player for cheap, the original theatrical cuts of the movies are just a joy to wach. The ones you want are the versions where you've got the half images of Darth Vader (A New Hope), the stormtrooper helmet (TESB), and Yoda (ROTJ) on the covers. They're from 1995 and are free from the "Han Shot First"-type bullshit of the 20th Anniversary stuff.

Greedo shot first in the re-imagined special edition mumbo-jumbo and THAT was the bullshit.

Okay, i know, I worded that improperly. I agree wholeheartedly with you. I meant that there was even anything that significant in character development changed was that we had to resort to even going on the offensive about it was bullshit. Sorry.

Guest tms2787

One day when I was in an old record store looking for the Back To The Future OMPS I came across the Laser Disc section and I decided to flip through it because LD's always seemed cool to me but I had never seen one. Anyways, they had BTTF on Laser Disc and it was under $3 so I had to buy it, I have been a huge fan of BTTF since I was a little kid and basically wore out my VHS copy from McDonald's (anyone remember when they use to sell VHS tapes around Christmas at McD's?) I have been looking for the other two in the series now to go with BTFF and complete the collection.

Also, is that End of Days auction for real? Lol

My dad has BTTF part 2, but not three. If he had both, I'd check to see if he'd be willing to part with them, but I don't know.

And yeah, I don't even fucking know on End of Days. Of all movies to fetch anywhere near that much... I've bought some stupid stuff in my life, but this would be the one that would make me look at my life and my choices that led me to this point.

Guest tms2787

I was super excited when I found BTTF, I was like "Oh hell yeah! This is so awesome! I have nothing to play it on but it's coming with me!" And the old guy who owns the store, whom I had asked when I first came in if he had the OMPS on vinyl he said he didn't think so goes "Oh, you found it... Wait this is the Laserdisc, you know that right?" Haha. If he wants to part with Part III and it's not the Letterbox version, depending on price I may take it?

I Googled the End Of Days and I guess it was one of the last 100, maybe the End Of Days for Laserdisc (harharhar) that lead to the price it goes for? Im not sure but I do wish we still had the Like button for your post because it made me bust of in laughter.

One day when I was in an old record store looking for the Back To The Future OMPS I came across the Laser Disc section and I decided to flip through it because LD's always seemed cool to me but I had never seen one. Anyways, they had BTTF on Laser Disc and it was under $3 so I had to buy it, I have been a huge fan of BTTF since I was a little kid and basically wore out my VHS copy from McDonald's (anyone remember when they use to sell VHS tapes around Christmas at McD's?) I have been looking for the other two in the series now to go with BTFF and complete the collection.

Also, is that End of Days auction for real? Lol

Yes, that's how I got my Indiana Jones tapes. I remember being really little and unable to fathom how my Dad got a videotape through the drive thru at McD's. I wonder if he still has them lying around...

I only have one laserdisc, hence my name.  I brought it to the local college library once to dub it to VHS (they let me after laughing it that it was on laserdisc).  Then the dvd came in 02 and the blu-ray in 2011 (which is clearly sourced from a dvd master).

firefox-laserdisc-filme_MLB-F-222621321_

Can anyone confirm that you can see up Jessica Rabbit's skirt on the Laserdisc copy of Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

pervy legend

How was the quality on these things?

Not very good if you watch on today's flat screens.. It's composite video (standard definition, 480i). DVD was a substantial upgrade in being able to output progressive scan (480p), and in a smaller package no less. Also no need to flip the disc after 60 minutes. Killed laserdisc instantly.

The quality really lies somewhere between VHS and DVD, in the abandoned realm of technological obsolescence

unlike vinyl, laserdiscs are completely pointless. A film buff I knew years ago (before blu-ray) said he kept his laserdisc player for just a few movies because the dvds were not properly framed. raising arizona and hard day's night. hard day's night does have a proper dvd out there, but it is really hard to find.

laserdiscs had an analog signal though, with no compression, unlike dvds. laserdiscs looked better on older tvs, but dvds have gotten better. i really don't think there's any reason to own a laser disc now, unless you like need the record-like coverart.

Yeah, I think I'll stick to my DVDs or Blu-rays.  Make me wonder what would happen to vinyl if those Hi-def MP3s that I've heard about were actually ever created.

I genuinely think the resurgence of vinyl has to do with poor mastering practices (for maximizing loudness) and low-quality files being sold as music.  The whole equalization preset madness started about the same time as CDs started sounding awful.  Oh and then the Beats...  Honestly if I have a lossless source (even at 16 bit) and not brickwalled-to-death mastering, I don't need EQ enhancements or high end audio equipment or an LP.

I have a bunch of laserdiscs I got for $.25-$.50 each. I used to pick one up every time I was at Half Price Books to try to round my purchase up to the next dollar.

I don't know them all off the top of my head, but I have every Lethal Weapon, Tommy Boy, and a Jurassic Park box.

Guest tms2787

Yes, that's how I got my Indiana Jones tapes. I remember being really little and unable to fathom how my Dad got a videotape through the drive thru at McD's. I wonder if he still has them lying around...

Haha, I know I still have the BTTF tape, I am not sure about any others.

I collect CED video discs.... Just kidding. I find laser discs interesting, there is a bunch at a local pawn shop. But don't they run through multiple sides and you have to flip them like LP's?

Weird but a local new/used shop started selling CED video discs for some reason.

I have a bunch of laserdiscs I got for $.25-$.50 each. I used to pick one up every time I was at Half Price Books to try to round my purchase up to the next dollar.

I don't know them all off the top of my head, but I have every Lethal Weapon, Tommy Boy, and a Jurassic Park box.

If you have any BTTF I'll buy them off of you if you want to sell them, I am not "collect" Laserdiscs, just the BTTF series. Lol.