Hidden In Plain View - Life In Dreaming - Available on 3/8

That's the point I was trying to get at. But to be fair you have to realize a good chunk of these labels were created for the primary purpose of reissuing records they love and nothing more. You can't knock a label for doing what they set out to do in the first place. It's just a different business than the traditional "record label" that we are used to.

at that point it's just a straight up business venture and money making scheme. or people who want to be cool by having a label, like that guy from ap.net who started american dream records and has made a complete mockery of everything thus far. obviously every label is a business venture and needs to make money, but ones that do things in the traditional sense you speak of should be looked at differently. a lot of labels start out as an idea to press albums you love on vinyl, but lately not many have stayed that way as they branch out into working with new bands and releasing their material. which deserves applause.

i get that some people need to build up enough money so they can use it to start putting out new releases from new artists. and they get that money from licensing out albums that will quickly sell. but far too many people start these labels and just keep licensing out album after album after album only to reap the profits. they don;t use the money for some greater good like putting out a record by an upstart band. and they want to be looked at the same way as a legit labels like No Sleep, RFC, No Idea, Topshelf, Epitaph, Triple Crown, Equal Vision, FBR, P+P, etc. and they shouldnt be viewed the same.

on the same hand as it's very easy to promote music because of everything at one's disposal with the internet age, that also breeds ease of starting a label that only licenses stuff. it's far to easy to email the label and/or artist who owns the rights to an album, get a yes or no answer, use kickstarter for all your funding or use pre-orders to get a good chunk. the ease of everything brings out the roaches.

at that point it's just a straight up business venture and money making scheme. or people who want to be cool by having a label, like that guy from ap.net who started american dream records and has made a complete mockery of everything thus far. obviously every label is a business venture and needs to make money, but ones that do things in the traditional sense you speak of should be looked at differently. a lot of labels start out as an idea to press albums you love on vinyl, but lately not many have stayed that way as they branch out into working with new bands and releasing their material. which deserves applause.

i get that some people need to build up enough money so they can use it to start putting out new releases from new artists. and they get that money from licensing out albums that will quickly sell. but far too many people start these labels and just keep licensing out album after album after album only to reap the profits. they don;t use the money for some greater good like putting out a record by an upstart band. and they want to be looked at the same way as a legit labels like No Sleep, RFC, No Idea, Topshelf, Epitaph, Triple Crown, Equal Vision, FBR, P+P, etc. and they shouldnt be viewed the same.

on the same hand as it's very easy to promote music because of everything at one's disposal with the internet age, that also breeds ease of starting a label that only licenses stuff. it's far to easy to email the label and/or artist who owns the rights to an album, get a yes or no answer, use kickstarter for all your funding or use pre-orders to get a good chunk. the ease of everything brings out the roaches.

we are literally all saying the exact same thing. For what it's worth, I've made $0 personal dollars on company ink to date. That's helped me have money in the business bank account and avoid RJ'ing anyone if my projections are wrong. 

Contest info here. Juan won the NFG copy last time I did this, so maybe there is some VC favoritism going on.

http://propertyofzack.com/post/44553767031/poz-contest-hidden-in-plain-view-life-in-dreaming-lp

I've asked him to draw the winner on the 7th instead of the 11th so whoever wins knows they don't need to try to order and vice versa.