What record in your collection ...

Is the most nostalgic to you . I don't necessarily mean specific albums but specific copies . I want to hear some cool stories .

Mine is Kid Dynamite's Shorter Faster Louder on green marble . I picked this up at their last show , which also happened to be their record release for this . I was a huge KD fan and pretty much caught any show they played in a 2-3 hour drive . It was bittersweet having an entire new albums worth of material released and knowing you wouldn't see those songs live (well not that often as things would turn out ) . Any time I break this out I'm immediately transported back to a simpler time .

What's yours ?

Pearl Jam - Ten.   My dad gave me his old turntable in 1997.  So I ordered this and quite a few other LPs from CDNOW.COM (anyone remember that site? great place to buy music online before amazon).  

It took damn near forever to come in but it was amazing to have a current record to play besides the ones I owned in the 80s (you can only spin so much Duran Duran)

The one i own would be Nirvanas in utero. I wore that cassette out back in the day.

Id like to own a copy of rushs counterparts. Me and my buddy joey were both trying to be drummers and that was our joint. His brother told me he had the cd in his deck when he died, so thats the one id go with if i could afford a copy.

My rasta copy of Kid Dynamite's 2xLP from This Is Hardcore a few years ago is pretty epic. Kid Dynamite had been one of my favorite bands, but I was pretty young when they were touring and I never got to see them live. It just so happened that they reunited to headline This Is Hardcore in 2010, which coincidentally also fell on my 21st birthday. I ended up spending the weekend hanging out with Bender ^, witnessing a surprise Grey Area set, and raging to Kid Dynamite on my 21st. It was by far the best birthday ever and I will never be able to top it for the rest of my life. Plus I can relive it whenever I want thanks to hate5six and this record:

KDrasta.png

My most treasured vinly is probably Less Than Jake Losers Kings and things We Don't Understand.  LTJ was my youth, I still love them too.  Anyway there use to be a record store in Tampa called Alternative Records, added bonus it was on NebraSKA Ave too.  I walked in one day and was so happy to see a new LTJ record, it ended up being the first press split color.

I've never considered getting rid of any of my LTJ stuff.

The most meaningful record I own is Nine Inch Nails' The Fragile. I remember sitting in my room listening to it over and over again, just in fucking total awe of it.. Of course, this was in 1999, and I was a little kid so no vinyl, just a cd copy my mom got me for christmas.

A kind soul offered to sell it to me for $40, even though it was clearly selling for much much more..

I was actually just talking about this the other day, but if my apt caught fire, the one thing I would be sure to grab my The Fragile vinyl.. And if I couldn't save it, I wouldn't think twice about spending the $200 for a replacement... 

I have some records that my dad played when i was < 5. These were the records that i first learned how to drop a needle on:

Cat Stevens - Where Do the Children Play

Elton John - Honkey Chateau

Beatles - white album

Neil Diamond - Taproot Manuscript

Needless to say, they're scratched up as hell. I've since bought re-issues and better versions, but i still have these originals that I will never get rid of. I have a story about nearly every one of my records.

It will have to be the first records I ever bought, I didn't even have a record player.  Originally got them as collectors items, until I inherited my first stereo.

Less Than Jake -- Losers Kings and Things We Don't Understand

Less Than Jake -- Mixology Of Tom Collins 5"

Less Than Jake -- Smoke Spot, first press giving for free in the order since 14 year old me wrote them a letter with the mail order.

American Nightmare - S/T Test Press. I always thought the cover was awesome and it was just the one record I could never own. Took me 8 years to finally get a copy, and I got it unplayed from Azy who was the original guitarist on the demo and the first 7". I think this is the one record that will never leave my possession 

I've got two.  Slow Gherkin's 'Another In Your Life' 7".  I bought this from James at a show in MPLS sometime in the late nineties.  To this day it's the best show I've ever been to.  A little back room behind a deli, with Edna's Goldfish opening.  Fantastic show, and the stage was incredibly small(if you can call it that.   Some sub-floor material propped up by a couple of 2x4s) to hold eight or nine guys, yet they were still as energetic as ever.  It was just after 'Shed Some Skin' came out, and they blew me away.  That's my favorite album, bar-none to this day. 

The other album is Mama Cass' - Mama Cass.  My dad loved the Mamas & The Papas, and their voice really grew with me(not so much these days, after Mackenzie's revelations about her father), but I remember him playing her solo record so many times, and I think she's got the most powerful female voice I've ever heard.  I love it.  My brother's got all of his records now, as well as a Strike Anywhere test press I left somewhere in the mix, so I hope he's keeping them well.

You dont understand alot of things but sure make a post on just about everything. Glad that 15 other people could answer the question and you still havent figured out what is going on.

I don't think he was attacking the thread. I think there is a positive association with nostalgia and age, the older you are, the more nostalgia impacts you.

I actually just picked up the other record I would have said had I owned it when I initially posted here..

I have a lot of memories attached the Pearl Jam's Vitalogy.. I remember finding a copy of this on cd in a basket of cds a friend of my older sister gave me.. I honestly listened to this album the entire summer, almost completely ignoring all other bands/albums.. I wasn't much into music at this point, so that wasn't too difficult, but there was something compelling about Vitalogy.. There still is.. It honestly brings me back every time I listen to it.. It was the record that opened me up to music, made me feel what it could do and struck me in a way that I just wasn't ready for.. 

I found a copy of the reissue tonight in Milwaukee, and quickly snatched it up! Soooo sooo glad to finally have it on vinyl!

Melvins - Stoner Witch

In 1994 14 year old me Took a bus to downtown minneapolis to my all time favorite and now closed record store Northern Lights and bought it during a day off from school. To my surprise (before the days of announcing what color it's on and how many were pressed) it was on pink vinyl and I played the hell out of it. To this day, when I open the gatefold and put my nose right in the middle I can still smell the store.

Saves The Day - Daybreak

That album hits me hard emotionally. Its very much about coming close to the edge and starting over in a relationship. I talked to Chris the night I bought it after a show and he said the theme of the album is rebirth. Me and my girlfriend went through some rough times planning out where we were gonna live, how were gonna take care of stuff, and all sorts of nonsense related to stress. The album really gave us a good perspective of where we stood and we are still together. The album is powerful and emotional and opens with a track that really sets the mood for the adventure the album presents.

I had the band autograph the cover and got to talk to them after the show. The album is very personal to me and my record especially is a vital part of my collection.

I actually just picked up the other record I would have said had I owned it when I initially posted here..

I have a lot of memories attached the Pearl Jam's Vitalogy.. I remember finding a copy of this on cd in a basket of cds a friend of my older sister gave me.. I honestly listened to this album the entire summer, almost completely ignoring all other bands/albums.. I wasn't much into music at this point, so that wasn't too difficult, but there was something compelling about Vitalogy.. There still is.. It honestly brings me back every time I listen to it.. It was the record that opened me up to music, made me feel what it could do and struck me in a way that I just wasn't ready for.. 

I found a copy of the reissue tonight in Milwaukee, and quickly snatched it up! Soooo sooo glad to finally have it on vinyl!

was going through Sirius radio in the car the other night and "Nothingman" was on one of the channels.  Still awesome

If the house was on fire and I had the time to save one record it would be Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros' "Global A Go-Go". It's a double LP with an extended version of "Minstrel Boy" on the d-side. I think I picked it up in Cologne, Germany while on tour with my old band. Solid record.