Nostalgia Test

Here is a checklist to prevent you from becoming a sucker for nostalgia.

Prior to the announcement of the album reissue did you:

- Listen to the album in its entirety within the last year.

- Think to yourself man I really want this record pressed.

- Listen to the newest album by the band in question.

- Go see the band at their latest show in your city.

- Ever tell someone IRL that you are a fan of the band.

- Know if the band was active or not.

If you can't say yes to at least 4 of these then you should reevaluate your decision to purchase the album as you are buying it solely for nostalgia and after the album is played once it will never leave your shelf.

- Ever tell someone IRL that you are a fan of the band.

If you can't say yes to at least 4 of these then you should reevaluate your decision to purchase the album as you are buying it solely for nostalgia and after the album is played once it will never leave your shelf.

You need to edit the post "...album is played once it will never leave your shelf or will be sold on eBay for 5X what you bought it for".

Just because an album is still nostalgic, doesn't mean it still doesn't hold up for me.  Sum 41 - All Killer No Filler is an album I listen to regularly and enjoy.  Recently I went back and listened to a recently found CD of Linkin Park - Hybred Theory and that shit was terrible.  My teenage self thought those angsty lyrics were cool and stuff, but when I went back and listened to it, I found it really stupid and even laughable at times. 

Great post. But wish you waited 3 more days to post it. 

What goes up in three days?

Also, this is just to help people differentiate between what they enjoyed 10 years ago and what they still enjoy. If you still rock out to Leaving Through The Window, Take Off Your Pants and Jacket, The Young and The Hopeless go ahead and buy those albums, but if the only time you have thought of a band in years is when it is announced that they are pressing it then you should save your money for something else. 

I think these nostalgic items are great to have for when you have olds friends over and you get drunk and reminisce. Or you people use them to make them selves seem retroactively cool.

that's what itunes is for

I don't see the point of this thread unless it's just to be funny. I understand the op's disdain for things like Evanescence and whatever other bands he is alluding to, but tellallyourfriends just comes off as bitter and is telling listeners they can't buy something they may like because of his "rules." I don't know maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Also, for the record I am not a fan of Evanescence. Haha

I don't see the point of this thread unless it's just to be funny. I understand the op's disdain for things like Evanescence and whatever other bands he is alluding to, but tellallyourfriends just comes off as bitter and is telling listeners they can't buy something they may like because of his "rules." I don't know maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Also, for the record I am not a fan of Evanescence. Haha

I honestly take it as a "reality check" list, do you REALLY want it? or do you just like the idea of having it?

While I agree with the premise, I take issue with the execution.  Any releases that would consider purchasing and ACTUALLY listening to are usually regardless of the current state of the band, so I would argue that the list should be changed to exclude those items:

- Ever tell someone IRL that you are a fan of the band album.

If you can't say yes to at least 4 2 of these then you should reevaluate your decision to purchase the album as you are buying it solely for nostalgia and after the album is played once it will never leave your shelf.

With the OPs list I fail on Sum 41's Chuck, with my list I pass.  I legit like that album, listen to it several times a year, tell people I like it, and wish for a repress.  I could not care less about what the band released since (or before, for that matter), active or dead, touring or not.