Mixtape Exchange

If you all are going to just be making a few tapes each and then just swapping them out, might I suggest something to go along with it.

A few years back an ex and I would take one tape and one of us would start it off by adding a song to it.  Then we would give it to the other person and they would add a song that somehow related to the previous.  We'd always just write a short note about why we added it.

In this setting it would be pretty amazing to get the 20 people or so involved in this to make an All Star Mix Tape.  Just throwing the idea out there.  When I did it with my ex it was always awesome.  I've actually done this back in High School too and it was always good fun.

we draw names, 1 - xx. every person puts one track on, sends it to the next in line.

whoever draws the last number, gets the final product, but is responsible for distributing copies to the rest of the group.

If you all are going to just be making a few tapes each and then just swapping them out, might I suggest something to go along with it.

A few years back an ex and I would take one tape and one of us would start it off by adding a song to it.  Then we would give it to the other person and they would add a song that somehow related to the previous.  We'd always just write a short note about why we added it.

In this setting it would be pretty amazing to get the 20 people or so involved in this to make an All Star Mix Tape.  Just throwing the idea out there.  When I did it with my ex it was always awesome.  I've actually done this back in High School too and it was always good fun.

ok this is a top notch idea.

I got a tape player but it is ancient! If I can figure out how to work it, I will make a mix! Its gonna be taped over a Doors / Janis Joplin recorded tape that came with it, so its gonna sound really good!

I vote someone volunteers to start the tape. we get a list of say 10-12 people? each one sends it out, we end with Madie and maybe she can duplicated them and make some cool art and send them out. Obviously we would all shoot her a few bucks for cost of tapes/shipping/her time.

thats just my idea.

I vote someone volunteers to start the tape. we get a list of say 10-12 people? each one sends it out, we end with Madie and maybe she can duplicated them and make some cool art and send them out. Obviously we would all shoot her a few bucks for cost of tapes/shipping/her time.

thats just my idea.

Seems like a solid idea, you down Madie? How many minutes can tapes hold? (On my phone) once we know that divide by 5 to figure out how many peeps can get in on it.

Figure out how much that many tapes cost and now we know how much it will cost per person before shipping!

If you're going to do the All Star Mix Tape then it will probably have to be a double cassette. 

The logisitcs of it would be a bit cumbersome but Rybreads idea of drawing names is pretty awesome.

As for the original idea of Mix Tape Exchange you could get everyone signed up to this and collect all names.  Then have each person make 3 or 4 copies of their personal mix and start swapping.  Again keeping track would be a bit of a problem.  It should be doable by including a list of people who need to get the tape. 

Just my 2 cents on the topic.  If any help is needed in getting this rolling I can chip in some time and effort.

if no one wants to step up, i can do the exchange thing so everyone gets a person to trade with and also we can do the and 1 song per person tape and i can randomly make a list with the names so it travels in a certain direction and ends up with i savedlatin54 or me and we then can make the dupes. i live in the same city so we can share the responsability and send them out, and everyone sends us a few bucks for s/h when the time comes. i have tons of padded envelopes laying around anyway. sound good? i do the christmas secret santa one every year and do the label shit anyway, so it's not like i am a newbie at it. having both simultaneously go on, will give everyone the chance to be creative, both with mix tapes and art. i personally find them equally awesome to do. that and i already had my idea for a cassette layout :)

1st person could just go buy a nice 120 minute cassette and start with one song, put it in a envelope and send it off to the next person with confirmation # so we can all track it. each person adding a note or something to the package, and at the end, i or whoever can make some sort of collage or small book and send it with everyone's cassettes.

what do you think guys/gals?

if no one wants to step up, i can do the exchange thing so everyone gets a person to trade with and also we can do the and 1 song per person tape and i can randomly make a list with the names so it travels in a certain direction and ends up with i savedlatin54 or me and we then can make the dupes. i live in the same city so we can share the responsability and send them out, and everyone sends us a few bucks for s/h when the time comes. i have tons of padded envelopes laying around anyway. sound good? i do the christmas secret santa one every year and do the label shit anyway, so it's not like i am a newbie at it. having both simultaneously go on, will give everyone the chance to be creative, both with mix tapes and art. i personally find them equally awesome to do. that and i already had my idea for a cassette layout :)

1st person could just go buy a nice 120 minute cassette and start with one song, put it in a envelope and send it off to the next person with confirmation # so we can all track it. each person adding a note or something to the package, and at the end, i or whoever can make some sort of collage or small book and send it with everyone's cassettes.

what do you think guys/gals?

This is the only post I read in this thread besides the first one and I think this is a fantastic idea! I like the idea of having a mixtape with a song from each person. Makes it a bit more personal and meaningful trying to find that perfect song to put on there (plus all the other awesome stuff with it). I support this idea!

I love the VC Allstar mix tape idea. I'm sure we could do several volumes. Id totally be willing to make and print the inserts/covers for that, but I honestly don't think I'd have time to duplicate that many tapes. I could do a portion, but I can see this becoming pretty popular on the boards, we'd probably need a couple people making duplicates,.we all know its pretty time consuming.

I hope this post makes sense, I am kind of drunk

madie. how about once everyone receives said tape, you can do the artwork/design for the cover, and i can do the insert from the shit people included, and both i an disavedlatin can dupe the tapes, and take the cover to kinkos to be printed and then put them together and  i can send them all off. but 20 people only.

then everyone can be included in the sharing mixtapes exchange. and we can give a sign up of like 3 days and then i'll partner everyone up with addy's and stuff. maybe it can be a secret gift exchange. and we can put our likes and dislikes about music here? ideas. just brainstorming. maybe by monday we can have a solid plan and get to work on it. i'm more than happy to get names and addys and go from there.