So PETA kills animals?

This whole article really pissed me off.  I never thought I'd be on PETA's side because I can't stand them, but the author proves himself to not have a clue what he is talking about.  I was surprised to see PETA euthanizes animals, but that was more because I didn't know that they took abandoned animals in the first place. Animal rights is an incredibly complex topic, and to reduce it to - you killed animals so you don't care about them or their rights - makes it apparent that no one should believe anything you say on the topic.

this point bothered me a lot in particular:

as long as the killing is done "humanely," which PETA interprets to mean poisoning them with an overdose of barbiturates

How would you rather them do it? carbon dioxide? freezing? pithing? exsanguination? letting them starve to death? 

Can someone explain the economics of the pet industry for me?

People will spend $500 on a dog, but millions are killed each year because people do not want them. Why wouldn't you just adopt a dog if you want one? And if you are not going to keep every single puppy why would you not get them neutered because there is already a surplus of dogs available.

Can someone explain the economics of the pet industry for me?

People will spend $500 on a dog, but millions are killed each year because people do not want them. Why wouldn't you just adopt a dog if you want one? And if you are not going to keep every single puppy why would you not get them neutered because there is already a surplus of dogs available.

why do ppl buy new cars when there's a dealership down the street selling a used one for a fraction of the cost? (most) ppl don't view pets as living things, they view them as a cute accessory and they want the one *meant* for them, not someone's hand-me-down.

and is it just me, or do most ppl "fix" their pets for behavioral reasons rather than population control reasons? at least I know a lot of ppl who are like "my dog was humping everything in sight, so we chopped his balls off. now he just lies around..."

anyhoo, the overarching answer to your questions is that people are selfish, myself included

why do ppl buy new cars when there's a dealership down the street selling a used one for a fraction of the cost? (most) ppl don't view pets as living things, they view them as a cute accessory and they want the one *meant* for them, not someone's hand-me-down.

and is it just me, or do most ppl "fix" their pets for behavioral reasons rather than population control reasons? at least I know a lot of ppl who are like "my dog was humping everything in sight, so we chopped his balls off. now he just lies around..."

anyhoo, the overarching answer to your questions is that people are selfish, myself included

i agree. I had a dog for 13 years growing up and know how hard it is to care for another living thing. The girl wanted to get a dog when we moved to Austin and I explained to her numerous times how much work and money goes in to caring for a dog and how we would both be in this together. Of course i got "I know, im not stupid" etc etc. Well, after about a month who was the only one walking, feeding and taking the dog we adopted, to the vet? MEEEE. I dont mind it, I love the little (big) guy, but she had ZERO clue what we were getting in to. She loves the dog as much as i do, but complains EVERY time i ask her to take him out, or feed him, ORRR call the vet to make an appointment. sorry, im bitching now. haha. 

I guess my cheapness over rides my selfishness.

Animals are property. They're not humans. Why are there doggie psychiatrists and doggie anti-depressants? Our society has elevated pets to a status that they do not belong.

That being said: Animals should not be abused and those who are cruel to animals should be prosecuted. But, if my dog gets hit by a car and will live in pain for the rest of his life because of the injuries, I am not cruel for shooting him, I just don't want to pay $400 for the vet to do what I can do for free.

TL;DR: PETA is terrible.

I think the perception of what PETA is is different from PETA aims to be, and I mean that in the most neutral way possible.  if reducing suffering (both immediate and long-term) is your goal and you have a finite amount of money, it might do more good (on average) to put down a healthy animal (and spend money on the side to fight for better conditions in factory farms, fight animal testing, etc.) rather than stick it in a kennel for a year, hoping someone who's nice will give it a home.  I'm not "pro killing animals", I'm just being financially realistic.

and since I like statistics, this site has some interesting ones, like:

• number of pets taken to animal shelters per year: 5 million
  • number of pets euthanized at animal shelters per year: 3.5 million

hold up, animal "shelters" kill animals?!?!?  O...M...G...!!!

the moral of that article: don't give your pets to PETA.  they don't want to kill your pets (at least I haven't seen any articles saying "PETA broke into my house, stole my cat, and slit its throat on my front porch!"), but they're not an adoption agency.

the real moral of that article: don't get a pet unless you're ready to have a pet for 10+ years.  you don't have a baby because you think it'd be cute and fun, so why would you do that with a dog?

That pretty much sums it up. This article isn't anything new - no shitstorm-a-coming or anything like that. I've seen articles calling them out on this exact same shit for years. I think they've even been posted here before. I'm pretty sure PETA's response in the past was something along those lines.

In all honesty, if you wanna donate to helping animals in need donate to ASPCA not PETA

[non-confrontational question] does the ASPCA do anything regarding factory farming or animal testing?  about the only good thing I can think of about PETA is that their peta2 group does a good job of raising awareness among young people.  high school girls decorating their notebooks with "I am not a nugget" stickers is kinda annoying, but it's better than the alternative (e.g., justin beiber magazine clippings).

but yeah, to your point, donate to ASPCA (or a local shelter or humane society) if you want to help dogs and cats.  if you want to help chickens and monkeys... it's probably PETA or bust, unless you know someone who wants to go undercover and make videos of inhumane living conditions

ASPCA helps more than dogs & cats, but to your point their thing is helping pets in shelters not animal rights in general.

It might sound harsh but I would rather my money go to helping a abused pet find a new loving home rather than a chicken that is just going to end up on my plate.