Boston Marathon Explosions

i just randomly received this in the mail. i don't understand why or how, but apparently i got signed up for 26 issues of rolling stone?

so confused right now

Did you buy any concert tickets from Ticketmaster/LiveNation lately? A few months ago they gave me a free subscription with one of my ticket purchases that I was totally unaware about. I got an email about it a little while after I received my first issue.

just heard a witness on the radio say "i think it's disrespectful because they make him look like a rockstar. they make him look cute. i didn't recognize him. he doesn't look like the monster that really did this." 

now, it's not like they gave him a photoshoot. would it have been more respectful to photoshop devil horns on his head?

Or someone sent in a bunch of subscriptions in your name (a la "the league").

this just reminded me of a couple months ago when me and some of my friends signed our one friend up for a bunch of stupid email mailing lists. the entire Romney family, Palin family, a bunch more dumb stuff. he got pretty pissed when his inbox blew up hahaha

just heard a witness on the radio say "i think it's disrespectful because they make him look like a rockstar. they make him look cute. i didn't recognize him. he doesn't look like the monster that really did this." 

now, it's not like they gave him a photoshoot. would it have been more respectful to photoshop devil horns on his head?

A witness of the bombing, you mean?

Also, multiple newspapers used this same image on their cover, NY Post, Times, etc etc. It wasn't a big deal then, it wasn't controversy and no stores refused to sell the newspaper that day.

Also, multiple newspapers used this same image on their cover, NY Post, Times, etc etc. It wasn't a big deal then, it wasn't controversy and no stores refused to sell the newspaper that day.

newyorktimes.jpg?w=620&h=464

The zoom-up on the face is usually something you would see reserved for actors and rock stars. Who decided that? I don't know. It's a subtle difference. But I think we are ingrained to associate 2 of the same photos differently based on this difference -- Normal people get more portraits and famous people get close ups. It just evokes a different response.

Then you have the captions. If the Rolling Stone article had had "The Dark Side, Carefully Masked" as its caption, then I doubt people would be throwing (at least as much). Again, it is subtle. One says "evil, in an attractive package". The other one says "A good person who was pulled into evil by the outside world". So subtle but when you are talking about a magazine cover that has a picture and a caption, how you present that message is so important, even if both articles equally have merit in telling the kid's story.

I really dont see the problem. How many magazines have had Hitler or other evil people on the front cover? Not to mention they are calling him a piece of shit basically with the headline. Its just a report on someone. Its not like they are glorifying the kid, they are just giving a report on a subject that has been covered by the news and media for months. Was he not on the front of every newspaper in America at one point? 

i think the reason he was on every piece of media at one point is because first he was a suspect. then he was identified. then he went on a spree...it was continuing events and it was fresh and new. no issues with him plastered everywhere. kind of made sense then.

but now, kind of when this is in the back of the mind, he comes up again. this time on the cover of a magazine.

does the block of copy below him make you feel bad for him because he was a popular student but because being failed from his family and blah blah blah..

its up to us as individuals to judge or deem this however we choose. and thats what we're doing.

i feel that the media again has won.

attention. sales. money. repeat.

do you think maybe, just maybe people are up in arms because it's a music magazine doing the piece and not the news? after all, what does a fluff magazine like rolling stone, who writes articles on music related events know or could possibly write to solicit thought in a reader. 

i feel, while some people are genuinely upset, there are hoards of those people who otherwise wouldn't have said much of anything if anyone else hadnt. But, like sheep, they want to somehow seem assimilated with others on how distraught they are by the magazines cover, only then going back to writing facebook posts about what cereal they had for breakfast.

and let's be real, the people threatening to cancel are probably on a free 3 month trail basis anyway and will most likely forget about this whole thing by the time it's time to renew.  but i could be wrong. because personally, i don't know anyone who subscribes to rolling stone. 

remember all the outrage with netflix when they separated their streaming/dvd sales and hiked the price up a bit for both? whatever happened to all the canceled subscriptions and people downright mad and how netflix might be over? yeah, people just making idle threats, because everyone i knew who was upset who said they canceled wound up not doing so.

do you think maybe, just maybe people are up in arms because it's a music magazine doing the piece and not the news? after all, what does a fluff magazine like rolling stone, who writes articles on music related events know or could possibly write to solicit thought in a reader. 

from time to time, rolling stone has some really thought provoking, sometimes controversial editorials. Stuff that other mainstream magazines won't do. I mean, they're not AP or anything.

the fact is, everyone has been talking about it. these will fly off the shelves (if you can find one). it's just as RS wanted. 

from time to time, rolling stone has some really thought provoking, sometimes controversial editorials. Stuff that other mainstream magazines won't do. I mean, they're not AP or anything.

the fact is, everyone has been talking about it. these will fly off the shelves (if you can find one). it's just as RS wanted. 

sorry, i was being sarcastic. was trying to convey what others might be thinking. i failed miserably.. haha. eek.

my gal was just in Boston last week, she was staying pretty close to the memorial (it was just outside or door or something of that nature), though it was a terrible terrible travesty, it's pretty amazing how well a community can come together to overcome something so awful.  I'm pretty excited knowing I may be living there in less than a year.

I also don't understand why people are just now giving RS because "they are a music magazine and shouldn't be reporting anything else but music". How many times has Obama been on the cover? Or actors? I don't understand why people are so surprised/stunned/outraged over this whole thing. Rolling stone has become more of a pop culture mag as of the last 10-15 years or so. It mixes pop culture and music, people shouldn't be very shocked. I for one will be reading this article when I get my copy (no idea why they send them to me, I've never in my life signed up for rolling stone nor do I actually like the mag).