Boston Marathon Explosions

I just remembered listening to the police scanner. Right before it was cut off, there was firing at the boat. I forgot that information was never officially released. A lot more happened than was printed, that's for damn sure.

I remember listening to the scanner through him being captured with no firing (just things said like "don't return fire. Flashbangs are ready to be used"), but none of them ever were. Not saying I'm infallible, though. That's why I asked for others to confirm. There were a lot of us listening.

Either way, we don't know shit and measures were taken to silence this guy. not saying he deserves special treatment, our forgiveness, or rock-star status... but... innocent until proven guilty, right? i'd like to hear what he has to say.

...Not that there's any indication that this article is going to be an interview or anything. But Rolling Stone has had some great investigative editorials in the past.

the more stores boycott this issue, the more it'll sell.

There is a good blurb on slate from the photo editor discussing the difficulty presented in choosing photos of him. There aren't a ton. The conclusion however is that this one had to be chosen to make him look as much like a Rock Star as possible. I'm conflicted. It's their editorial choice in how to contrast the words and story with the youthful image. The provocation is intentional and obviously having the desired effect. At the same time I have no doubt that this will be a pretty great recruiting tool in Terrorist circles: Martyr yourself and live forever in both the afterlife and media. 

I will also openly confess that I want to read the article but will likely wait until it is on their site. 

Someone on FB had this to say about the cover:

This is the cover of rolling stone this month. Lets ignore the fact that they put a suspected murderer on the front of a magazine ... Read the bottom right part. To that I ask, when did people stop becoming responsible for their own actions? How is it always someone else's fault!?

My response was this:

If the story is the big story of the issue, it'll go on the cover. End of story. It probably has a couple pages, and that's why they put a picture of him on the cover. Not that hard to believe. Also, it's not like people don't know who he is. 

It also doesn't exactly absolve him of blame for his own actions. but everyone has a path they go down. A reason. Reasons don't absolve blame, but they give us a why. They give us a way to possibly recognize and step in to prevent it from happening to others.

This is not a "get out of jail free" card. It seems more like a piece about how we, as a culture of many cultures, can be more responsive to warning signs that something may be wrong. When people are coming into their own, they are influenced by EVERYTHING around them, not just their parents. His home situation wasn't the greatest from what I recall, and as a result, he "fell into radical Islam" because it was something he could hold onto. This doesn't absolve him of guilt. Only explains how things got to the point that when his brother said, "hey, you know what would be a great idea? Pressure cooker bombs at the Boston Marathon!" he didn't instantly respond with "what the hell is wrong with you?"

Either way, we don't know shit and measures were taken to silence this guy. not saying he deserves special treatment, our forgiveness, or rock-star status... but... innocent until proven guilty, right? i'd like to hear what he has to say.

...Not that there's any indication that this article is going to be an interview or anything. But Rolling Stone has had some great investigative editorials in the past.

the more stores boycott this issue, the more it'll sell.

Innocent until proven guilty but with the video evidence before the bombing, the fact that when they tried to detain him he opened fire and threw IEDs at the police, and his reported admission when he was questioned in the hospital room (as reported by media outlets) make the trial more of a formality.

I'm not sure how this works but I would rather he was given a proper trial by his peers but out of the public eye. Seal up the transcripts except for people with a legitimate need-to-know. I only see bad things coming from giving a terrorist a public soapbox. 

The sad part is that even though 99.9% of normal Americans could digest the answers to the question of "why did he do it" and maybe even learn from it, there are people out there who it could inspire to commit similar crimes. Look at those facebook posts posted earlier in the thread as a shining example of what we shouldn't be encouraging (even indirectly). Just give him a fair trial, throw him in jail after the expected conviction, and keep him out of the public. 

Seems to me like the Rolling Stone article is based on third-person information, though (just my interpretation). Anyone know where this guy is, what condition, what the plan for him is, etc?

re: the boat incident- i thought it was common knowledge that he was found nearly unconscious in the boat, almost bleeding out from a self inflicted gunshot; a failed suicide. everything also indicated that police were not firing at him, and that anything you heard on the scanners were flashbangs.

it was easy to get caught up in all the initial outrage. the boston sports station was hailing the singer of disturbed (lol) because of a facebook post calling out rolling stone. friends of mine in boston media have been retweeting every form of disgust they've come across. and even the first stuff i saw in here. it was easy to take a stance against RS.

at this point, the only thing they really fucked up was that they used such a dreamy picture of him.

it's not like we've never seen the kid's face before, nor is this story anything new. perhaps the cover story is actually a big deal, and deserved to headline the issue.

but for now, i think everyone should just chill out. you can boycott rolling stone all you want, but honestly... when was the last time you bought an issue anyway?

FIrst hand video interview with the SWAT team that arrested him from a reliable source:

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/22/inside-boston-manhunts-end-game/

-- Flashbangs and gas were fired early in the boat extraction but weren't effective

-- It was initially reported he had a self inflicted gunshot wound but neck wound appeared to the SWAT officers to be a shrapnel wound, not a gunshot.

edit: and he was unarmed in the boat.