Cake Vinyl Boxset Coming Soon per RSD 7" sleeve

i rec'd my replacement copy of Prolonging the Magic today...... it's from the second pressing alright.... it's transparent blue when it should be cream and not at all transparent. the "ghost scratch" is still present on side 1. i wonder what colour all the other albums are... did they mix them up on purpose for the second pressing? or did someone make a mistake?

i rec'd my replacement copy of Prolonging the Magic today...... it's from the second pressing alright.... it's transparent blue when it should be cream and not at all transparent. the "ghost scratch" is still present on side 1. i wonder what colour all the other albums are... did they mix them up on purpose for the second pressing? or did someone make a mistake?

can you run through the albums and give us the colour for each?

I've had both sets and there slight differences in the first three albums. Motorcade is kind of a neon clear green, fashion is a coke bottle clear, prolonging the magic is clear blue... Everything else is the same though (at least on my set).

For the record, both of my sets play flawlessly all the way through.

I've had both sets and there slight differences in the first three albums. Motorcade is kind of a neon clear green, fashion is a coke bottle clear, prolonging the magic is clear blue... Everything else is the same though (at least on my set).

For the record, both of my sets play flawlessly all the way through.

i'm not sure what the issue with Prolonging the Magic is exactly. On the first 2 (cream) the is a sharp pop between Guitar and You Turn the Screw. on the transparent blue one the pop is still there, but it's dull... more like a thud. This is with a Red Ortofon cartridge. When played on my older turntable with a cheaper cartridge and needle the pops are a lot louder. 

I'm beginning to think this "ghost scratch" is present on all the pressings.

i'm not sure what the issue with Prolonging the Magic is exactly. On the first 2 (cream) the is a sharp pop between Guitar and You Turn the Screw. on the transparent blue one the pop is still there, but it's dull... more like a thud. This is with a Red Ortofon cartridge. When played on my older turntable with a cheaper cartridge and needle the pops are a lot louder.

I'm beginning to think this "ghost scratch" is present on all the pressings.

All I can say is no such pop exists on my copy. I cleaned the records with a record doctor V before playback though.

All I can say is no such pop exists on my copy. I cleaned the records with a record doctor V before playback though.

the noise is only audible btwn the tracks when i use a decent cartridge. With a less expensive cartridge it's more noticeable in the music as well. I also clean all my records before playing them the first time. 

What cartridge/stylus are you using for playback? Maybe that's the difference?

• 3 weeks later...

Well Brooklyn Phono have really fucked this one up and refuse to take responsibility.

After a number of emails, they confirmed my two replacement records had been shipped.

What I received was a bill for £17.86 ($28.67). The customs document said they had shipped me 4 records with a combined value of $55.

So I emailed them and told them and they said an extra surprise had been added. So I thought two records for $28.67 might be OK and paid.

There were only 3 records in the package and the surprise was the RSD 7" worth perhaps 2/3 of that in Europe. more likely less than 1/2.

The box set itself was $99, so each record is actually worth $12.38 assuming the box has no value. I should have received two records worth $24.75 which I may or may not have had had to pay to import - it's on the border.

So I have had to pay again nearly 14% of the total amount I paid to get the box set into the UK for two records that should have worked in the first place, a record I don't want and one that doesn't actually exists. Of course Brooklyn Phono have washed their hands of this.

And before anyone else says it, Boo Hoo. My heart pumps purple piss for you. I don't care if you think that. Fucking appaling customer service.

Well Brooklyn Phono have really fucked this one up and refuse to take responsibility.

After a number of emails, they confirmed my two replacement records had been shipped.

What I received was a bill for £17.86 ($28.67). The customs document said they had shipped me 4 records with a combined value of $55.

So I emailed them and told them and they said an extra surprise had been added. So I thought two records for $28.67 might be OK and paid.

There were only 3 records in the package and the surprise was the RSD 7" worth perhaps 2/3 of that in Europe. more likely less than 1/2.

The box set itself was $99, so each record is actually worth $12.38 assuming the box has no value. I should have received two records worth $24.75 which I may or may not have had had to pay to import - it's on the border.

So I have had to pay again nearly 14% of the total amount I paid to get the box set into the UK for two records that should have worked in the first place, a record I don't want and one that doesn't actually exists. Of course Brooklyn Phono have washed their hands of this.

And before anyone else says it, Boo Hoo. My heart pumps purple piss for you. I don't care if you think that. Fucking appaling customer service.

That's bullshit on their part, I'm sorry man; that sucks.

sucks you had to pay that for replacement records. what was wrong with the original set? can you recoup some of your money?

Raised vinyl on one and the ghost scratch on there other. I do have a plan to recoup my money and it doesn't involve screwing anyone else.

If anyone else is trying to get replacements, they said in an email that they're not doing free shipping on replacement records anymore.

Kinda off topic but I have one of the autographed test pressings from the initial RSD release, I got Prolonging the Magic. It's cool, but it's been sitting in a sleeve on my shelf since April, and there's plenty of records I want, and *would* listen to, so I'm considering selling/trading it. I'm not sure what is a reasonable asking price/ trade value though, since there's only 4 other copies of this. What do you guys figure its worth?

I would either gift it to someone you know who loves Cake, sell it to someone here you like for a low price, or make as much as you can on eBay to recoup your money from the box set. There isn't a Beckett book for Cake test pressings, so it seems it'd be more about what you want to do with it.

I would either gift it to someone you know who loves Cake, sell it to someone here you like for a low price, or make as much as you can on eBay to recoup your money from the box set. There isn't a Beckett book for Cake test pressings, so it seems it'd be more about what you want to do with it.

I would try to trade it to someone who wants it at an agreed equivalent value.

If they think it's worth 100 bucks, you get 100 bucks worth of records.

• 4 months later...

This really was pressed like butt.

I finally spun the whole set and nearly every record has clicks/pops and other weird surface noise.

The frenzy was real tho.

did you get a first run copy or a second run copy?

I don't have many issues with mine (first run) except for the ghost scratch on side one of Prolonging the Magic

did you get a first run copy or a second run copy?

I don't have many issues with mine (first run) except for the ghost scratch on side one of Prolonging the Magic

Yeah, I grabbed one on RSD and every record plays as it should, no scratches, warps, etc. Only issue is the box peeled a little bit on the back. Easy fix though.