Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

I agree that the Marantz PM6005 looks perfect, but I'm not sure that I want to stretch quite as high as $700.

The FIIO D3 is definitely an interesting option, but probably a bit too cheap. Out of curiosity, how much would a decent entry-level pre-amp cost? Something equivalent to the built-in one in those Marantz amps or, say, the Music Hall A15.3?

I agree that the Marantz PM6005 looks perfect, but I'm not sure that I want to stretch quite as high as $700.

The FIIO D3 is definitely an interesting option, but probably a bit too cheap. Out of curiosity, how much would a decent entry-level pre-amp cost? Something equivalent to the built-in one in those Marantz amps or, say, the Music Hall A15.3?

I assume you mean a phono stage?  The price ranges aren't too different.  You can get a super cheap one for like $20 and then the 'recommended' solutions will put you into the 200-300 range.  I think there's a list at the start of this thread. 

bear in mind, if you go an amp that is not geared toward stereo (aka an AV receiver) you will likely get worse results than if you went with the solid stereo setup and added the cheap-o DAC.

Needed a new pair of in-ear phones. Bought these based on the stellar reviews / value for money. Waiting for them to arrive next week. Anyone else got these, and if so what do you think of them?

Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition

http://www.amazon.com/VSONIC-Silver-Earphones-Earbuds-iPhones/dp/B005EM9KRI

I didn't get them from amazon. Got them off eBay for 31 with free shipping.

Needed a new pair of in-ear phones. Bought these based on the stellar reviews / value for money. Waiting for them to arrive next week. Anyone else got these, and if so what do you think of them?

Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition

http://www.amazon.com/VSONIC-Silver-Earphones-Earbuds-iPhones/dp/B005EM9KRI

I didn't get them from amazon. Got them off eBay for 31 with free shipping.

I bought vsonic vsd1s and they are INCREDIBLE. i'm sure the GR02's are even better. want to eventually get the GR07 but they are quite expensive.

I have no doubt you will be very pleased

Hm, I had the GR06 and was terribly disappointed. They were praised on head-fi as a giant killer and top buy for under $100, but I wouldn't consider them a valid choice if they cost $50. Maybe I got a sub-par pair, as the quality control doesn't seem to be the greatest, but yeah, my experience isn't positive.

It is the only VSonic model I tried though, so hopefully yours fares better.

I just want to play records, don't really need the USB feature. 

The ATlp120 is a decent record player, but if you don't have a need for USB, I would look more towards a player that is bare bones. It will cost more, but it will sound better and you'll be happier.

I bought a LP120 and regretted it 5 months later. Ended up selling it on Craigslist and putting the money towards a Rega RP1 9 months after purchasing it. I also looked at the Project Carbon Debut and Uturn Orbit. Any of those options would be better than the AT LP120 in my opinion.

The ATlp120 is a decent record player, but if you don't have a need for USB, I would look more towards a player that is bare bones. It will cost more, but it will sound better and you'll be happier.

I bought a LP120 and regretted it 5 months later. Ended up selling it on Craigslist and putting the money towards a Rega RP1 9 months after purchasing it. I also looked at the Project Carbon Debut and Uturn Orbit. Any of those options would be better than the AT LP120 in my opinion.

I was actually looking at the u turn orbit, I guess I'll look at that more. What did you regret/not like about the lp120?

I was actually looking at the u turn orbit, I guess I'll look at that more. What did you regret/not like about the lp120?

Mostly the noise. The motor was noticeably loud even when my amp was off, between songs and during quiet parts, the speakers made it twice as loud. I could always hear the "whirrrrrrr" of the engine when it was on and that made me a little mental. Also, the built in pre amp is pretty weak so unless you have a receiver or amp that has a good phono stage in it, you will probably have buy a separate pre amp to get it to sound decent like I did.

And lastly, due to the not so great built in pre amp and the extra USB transistor the signal goes through, you're getting a bit of dampened sound as opposed to a more direct and pure source that the other turntables will have because they don't have the 'obstacles' that the LP120 has to get the end result.

Mostly the noise. The motor was noticeably loud even when my amp was off, between songs and during quiet parts, the speakers made it twice as loud. I could always hear the "whirrrrrrr" of the engine when it was on and that made me a little mental. Also, the built in pre amp is pretty weak so unless you have a receiver or amp that has a good phono stage in it, you will probably have buy a separate pre amp to get it to sound decent like I did.

And lastly, due to the not so great built in pre amp and the extra USB transistor the signal goes through, you're getting a bit of dampened sound as opposed to a more direct and pure source that the other turntables will have because they don't have the 'obstacles' that the LP120 has to get the end result.

Might be a bit of a quality control lottery on them then, my dad has one and the motor is quiet, the on board audio electronics (phono stage and USB) are cack as you say though. On my dads I rewired it to give a direct output and it's now not a bad turntable.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the more modern Gemini's have a bad name, I have a pair of very early PT2000's and have to say they are pretty good.

I think the company was bought out and the quality took a nose dive, I know the motors and main bearings in the later ones are different and not as good.

Not sure how you tell old from new but on my PT's the logo is in orange where all the later ones I have seen it is in black.

• 2 weeks later...

I am finding it hard to choose between the Onkyo A-9050 and Yamaha A-S500 for my first hifi setup. Both are the same price. Anyone have experience with both that can note some differences in their sound? particularly the phono stage. Thanks in advance. :)

I have the A-S500 and love it, I upgraded from a 80's Technics receiver that stopped working and love the Yamaha. 

Quick question, I usually dry clean my records but I have started to wet clean them using the MoFi record brush and MoFi Super Record Wash. Was curious on how to dry my records because I found a website saying to let them air dry, but a friend of mine is saying otherwise. Can anyone shed some light?

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-turntable/

Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB vs Debut Carbon vs Uturn Orbit

tl;dr: Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB is the best turntable for most people. Our previous pick, the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, is now the step up

"The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon sounds better than the Audio Technica and supports higher-end cartridges, but we don’t think it’s worth double the price." :rolleyes: 

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-turntable/

Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB vs Debut Carbon vs Uturn Orbit

tl;dr: Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB is the best turntable for most people. Our previous pick, the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, is now the step up

"The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon sounds better than the Audio Technica and supports higher-end cartridges, but we don’t think it’s worth double the price." :rolleyes: 

That guy also said this:

"…straight out of the box, the Audio Technica can plug directly into a soundbar"

Comments about soundbars aside for a casual vinyl buyer there are some good points in that review and a fair explanation of dynamics.

I would argue with a high end turntable and CD player the turntable will always sound nicer but that may just be my preference and isn't based on any actual facts.

The comments about being able to use the AT-120 out of the box and the very adjustable arm are all valid if you are new to vinyl, ultimately the Carbon will sound nicer as standard but the law of diminishing returns does have an effect.

I would always suggest buying the best thing you can as it will take longer to outgrow it but if it's dipping a toe in the water with vinyl then the AT-120 makes a lot more sense than the average plastic rubbish like the AT-60, Crosleys and their clones etc.

I've mentioned before my dad has an AT-120 and I wanted to hate it but could not find a lot wrong with it, but would disagree about the on board phono stage as unless it's been improved in the last couple of years the one inside my Dad's was not great.

I'm pretty certain with an arm rewire, removal of the phono stage and USB electronics and a proper setup of the arm bearings you could make a very nice sounding turntable out of an AT-120 for very little money.

Also I've wanted to hear someone try a U Turn next to a Carbon for a while and in this the U Turn doesn't seem to fare well, I'd like to know if he was comparing the standard U Turn or the one with the acrylic platter but either way the error it gives in signal and speed stability do look quite bad.

Well, if you don't care about the USB functionality, and if you don't need the built-in preamp, you can remove the circuit board that holds both of them. It's a pretty simple procedure, and even as someone with very little experience working on electronics, it took me roughly an hour...and most of that time was spent nervously quadruple checking that I had re-wired everything back together correctly.

I'm not saying that you should have to perform surgery on your TT to make it decent...but I'd argue that for the price, an LP-120 is a decent table to begin with, and with a couple slight tweaks can easily become a good table. The removal of the preamp and an upgrade to a Shure M97xE made a world of difference to my ears, and I don't see myself replacing my LP-120 anytime soon.