Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

I really want to sell my AT-LP120USB turntable, but I have no idea where to look to. I mean obviously eBay or Craigslist, but I really want it to end up in the hands of someone who will take care of it. Can you guys offer me some suggestions???

I mean, if you get the price you want for it, does it really matter if the person takes care of it or not to you? I'm only saying this as someone who has sold 4 turntables that were more expensive than a LP120 and I honestly couldn't care if they were in a landfill right now.

I mean, if you get the price you want for it, does it really matter if the person takes care of it or not to you? I'm only saying this as someone who has sold 4 turntables that were more expensive than a LP120 and I honestly couldn't care if they were in a landfill right now.

Well yeah, that's absolutely true. I was really tired when I wrote that last night. Kinda desperate for money too. 

What's you get the Rp1 for? Like I know the debut carbon is marked $400 but can be gotten for $350. That's what I paid for mine... As if I need to buy more gear after my Debut Carbon...

Well I bought my Debut Carbon for $325 during that crazy musicians friend sale. I just bought the RPM for $499 free shipping from needle doctor.

Hey, quick question; I'm probably going to buy a Pro-Ject Esprit DC and Wharfedale 10.1 speakers, but I'm confused by amps. I'm looking at Marantz PM 5004 and the Marantz PM 6005, and is it really worth to buy the the 6005 instead of 5004? The 6005 is almost twice the price of the 5004 where I live.

Get the discounted pm6004 instead of the pm5004 unless you find one for super cheap.

The pm6005 has digital inputs, but you might be better off with an external for about the same money or less.

But is it really worth it to put that much money towards a 6004 instead of a 5004? What's the main difference?

But is it really worth it to put that much money towards a 6004 instead of a 5004? What's the main difference?

I didn't notice you were in Europe.  No idea what prices are like for you there.  I think that the main difference is simply more watts.  Whether you need more or not depends on your room and speakers.

I didn't notice you were in Europe.  No idea what prices are like for you there.  I think that the main difference is simply more watts.  Whether you need more or not depends on your room and speakers.

I have a pretty small room and the Wharfedale isn't that watt-heavy so I think I'll go for the 5004.

Oh my GOD, finally bought myself a decent preamp after having the ART DJ PRE for a year. I got a Musical Fidelity V90-LPS, and seriously, even before breaking it in, it sounds 100000x better. Definitely a good feeling updating the weakest link in your set up.

Welcome to the world of opening wallets and ears. Musical Fidelity have made superb phono stages for years and you can upgrade around that and not need to change it for a very long time.

To answer what you should get- read the first page of this thread.

Pretty sure why not to get a Crosley is also stated... But lack of proper setup (tonearm balance, tracking force, VTA, etc), ceramic cartridge, bad internal components, bad speakers... Just all bad sound and more importantly bad for your records.

To answer what you should get- read the first page of this thread.

Pretty sure why not to get a Crosley is also stated... But lack of proper setup (tonearm balance, tracking force, VTA, etc), ceramic cartridge, bad internal components, bad speakers... Just all bad sound and more importantly bad for your records.

Basically the word Bad sums them up.

It's not only Crosley there are quite a few different cheap brands that use similar or the same parts so also avoid Pyle, Streepletone, Ion, anything that looks like them that you find on Amazon, Sunday Paper magazines, department stores, discount stores and pretty much anything with USB in the name, there are exceptions to the USB thing but not many.

I expect there is a list at the top of this thread but you get the idea.

People don't even understand how great this thread is.

I went about things a bit backwards. I wanted to have a big girl (n00b) setup and did some reading for a few days. Came up with Carbon Debut, Yamaha A-S500, and Wharfedale 10.3s.

Love being able to actually HEAR my records.

I logged back in here for the first time in ages looking at the FS threads.

Flipped over to this thread and sweated for a bit wondering if all advice in here would be against my choices.

The back and forth reading I did for a few days was so well compiled here, with easily digestible info to boot. I was a dummy and didn't check here first - but thanks regardless to everyone who has offered advice/tips. It's really a great resource, damn shame people don't take the time to read it.

Oh my GOD, finally bought myself a decent preamp after having the ART DJ PRE for a year. I got a Musical Fidelity V90-LPS, and seriously, even before breaking it in, it sounds 100000x better. Definitely a good feeling updating the weakest link in your set up.

Sorry, meant to praise this post when I first read it.

It is great going from bottom the line/just getting you by to entry level, quality equipment. The ROI is huge. It's equally eye/ear opening going up a couple more levels, but it starts to take a sharp decline of diminishing returns after that. I just think most music lovers don't want or care to know because it cost money. But if one really loves music, they owe it to themselves to spend/save up the money. Glad you are enjoying the equipment, but more importantly getting more out if your music.