Help solve a dispute

I'm just curious if I'm in the wrong on this transaction.  I won't verify if I'm the buyer or seller as to avoid anything bias, I'll just explain the scenario.

The record sold on gemm.com was advertised as "new" by the seller.  The buyer bought it, and along with the purchase in the "notes to seller", asked the seller to verify if the new vinyl was still sealed, and if it had any promotional markings before shipment. 

Seller emails the buyer, stating this vinyl is not sealed.  However, seller replies to the "do not reply" address, and buyer does not receive this email.  With no other communication, seller ships vinyl.  Buyer receives the vinyl, which was not sealed & had some light wear on the sleeve.  Buyer emails seller, and asks for refund since the vinyl was not "new" as advertised, and note to seller went neglected.  Seller offers to refund the price of the vinyl, and less than half of original shipping price, but not the cost of return shipping.

Argument ensues as to what "new" means in an advertisement, seller claiming he advertised correctly, buyer claiming a misadvertised item.  Seller's opinion is new does not = sealed, and vinyl was a DJ copy only played once to verify there were no skips.  Buyer's opinion is in the US, new = sealed, as if you walked out of the retail store with it.  Otherwise it's "like new" or "mint".

As stated above, seller is willing to pay for cost of vinyl and $2 of the original $5 shipping charge for return, but not for return shipping costs.  Buyer is requesting for full refund plus return shipping charges.

What is everyone's opinion on this?  And thanks to anyone taking the time to read this & leave an opinion. 

This isn't over $, It's an argument because I'm relatively new to the hobby of vinyl, and I'm curious if I'm right or wrong for the sake of future transactions.  I'm wondering where my expectations should be. 

That, and I like seeing pictures and those little video things people post...  That modern day Ferris Beuller is pretty sweet.

I apologize to the folk who are on here a ton more than me & get these repetitive threads...  I learned before even making a screen name there is zero tolerance or patience around here.  But at least I did my research, and did a google search on vinyl grading previous to posting, and all I saw was lists of grading that started with mint, the sites I found it did not clarify what "new" was. 

New isn't always sealed. Many labels get them from the plant and choose not to seal them.

So there's that.

I've noticed that in Europe, but haven't seen this in the US...  Not saying it doesn't happen, maybe something I haven't come across yet.  I do know I've been in the CD buying game since probably 1993, and I've never in 20 years seen or bought a new CD that wasn't sealed.  But again, I know in Europe they sell CD's that aren't sealed.

New = Never played
Like new = Played but in 10/10 condition
And like it's already been said, not all records come sealed. If you sold, you should have listed "Never been played" or something like that, if you bought it you should have asked BEFORE the purchase about the condition, not pay and ask

Like people have said:

-Not all new records are shrink wrapped.

-All questions should be asked BEFORE payment...this whole thing could have been avoided if this was done.

-The seller held up their end, buyer should pay for return shipping and seller should refund after receiving the record.

-Since this particular record was played, that makes it "used", so the buyer has that working for them.

Also since you are new to le Hobby, understand now that MOST people have different ideas of condition grading. What is VG to me may be unacceptable to you.

I personally don't care about corner bends and "cover wear" as much as I care about the record playing without skips or repeats (surface noise is okay, so long as it isn't too overpowering). I don't look exclusively for "mint" or NM records either...

you really asked for a full refund for slight wear on a sleeve  on a record that wasn't sealed? 

October-18-2011-20-12-49-DoubleFacePalm.

also, don't ever buy thru mailorder, ebay, or the likes again. you'll save yourself from a lot  of unneeded disappointment. and a lot of headaches to future sellers as well. 

Jeez, some people on this board... The guy's just asking a question, cut him some slack. No need to act like a douche.

As for the original poster's question: new does not necessarily mean sealed. New does mean unplayed. Even if it's only been played once, it's not new anymore.

Thanks for shedding some light on the situation.

Like people have said:

-Not all new records are shrink wrapped.

-All questions should be asked BEFORE payment...this whole thing could have been avoided if this was done.

-The seller held up their end, buyer should pay for return shipping and seller should refund after receiving the record.

-Since this particular record was played, that makes it "used", so the buyer has that working for them.

New = Never played

Like new = Played but in 10/10 condition

And like it's already been said, not all records come sealed. If you sold, you should have listed "Never been played" or something like that, if you bought it you should have asked BEFORE the purchase about the condition, not pay and ask

Seal doesn't make a difference in new/used but the fact that it was played means that it is not new.

Any other original thoughts?

You guys remember the techno song for the Mortal Kombat movie that started out with a dude yelling "MOOOOOOORTAAAAL KOOOMMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!" ? That song was dope.