PO: Defeater - Letters Home

Got my brown swirl in today. Waiting for album fatigue to start setting in but instead my ears keep getting joyously bludgeoned. I thrashed around my living room pretty hard when Bastards came on. My wife stared at me awkwardly and my one dog tried to join in the thrashing.

Andrew WK woulda been proud.

Saw them in DC the other night. They still have the splatter but had sold out of the tri-color.

Also wanted to add that the show was amazing and Derek is one of the coolest dudes I've ever met. After the show he talked to me and my fiance for a half hour. Just shooting the shit talking to my girlfriend about her film major and English literature. Talked to me about writing styles. I'm writing a screenplay and found we had a lot in common (the use of story arcs while jumping around chronologically). It was profound to just spend some time and talk to someone I respect that much.

It meant the world to me to meet one of my favorite artists and not feel like an asshole because of his courtesy and ease.

He shared some things about the over-arching story of the albums that have completely changed the way I look at them. Listening to them now and it's like hearing them for the first time again. Which is amazing.

My fiance is laying the groundwork to do a thesis paper on them now. Hopefully her paper gets chosen and I get to go see her speak at a conference and do a presentation..... about Defeater.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...