PO: Balance And Composure - The Things We Think We're Missing

Will Yip definitely produced it but I'm pretty sure Brad Wood mixed it (Smashing Pumpkins, Sunny Day Real Estate, mewithoutYou, new Touche Amore) and from the bands tweet yesterday it looks like Emily Lazar mastered it. I know she did the last Foo Fighters record and some other crazy shit. Definitely sounds different from other things Will Yip has done in the past and IMO, better. Sounds huge. New song is so fucking good, can't wait to hear more.

https://twitter.com/balanceandcomp/status/359708644553666561

Definitely sounds different from other things Will Yip has done in the past and IMO, better. Sounds huge. New song is so fucking good, can't wait to hear more.

https://twitter.com/balanceandcomp/status/359708644553666561

Yep. I think the comparisons to Floral Green, Jar, Youth (in terms of production sound) or whatever aren't really making sense.

I can't believe the Yellow is the only variant left on the NS store.

How can you guys tell how many of each variant are left?

they fill up their carts and see how many it lets them put in. it wont let you put in more than they have

on that note, im only getting 828 of the yellow. although a lot of that is going to to go to other vendors  and some have probably been put aside for like record release shows and etc

I disagree, it's like all the albums he has produced lately have the same 90-esque tone to them. The new Pity Sex, Citizen, Daylight and Turnover all kind of sound the same.

Yeah his production style is pretty terrible. If you like muddy sounding music than I guess you would like him. But damn that Citizen album sounded like shit.

I disagree, it's like all the albums he has produced lately have the same 90-esque tone to them. The new Pity Sex, Citizen, Daylight and Turnover all kind of sound the same.

I kind of feel the same way. But this style of music isn't the only thing he does or has done. I can't remember which ones, but recently I was listening to some records and was very surprised to see he produced them. Believe it was some hardcore stuff.

I think your confusing the production with what the bands just sound like by themselves. 

Yeah his production style is pretty terrible. If you like muddy sounding music than I guess you would like him. But damn that Citizen album sounded like shit.

LOL, oh you. 

I think your confusing the production with what the bands just sound like by themselves.

Citizen did not sound quite like that before Youth. As someone said on the last page, his production has a very distinct muddy sound to it as of late. It is prevalent on all of the recent albums from the band I mentioned even with the bands themselves sounding kind of the same. 

The new Balance And Composure song certainly sounds a lot more like Daylight and Turnover than they did on Separation.

Citizen did not sound quite like that before Youth. As someone said on the last page, his production has a very distinct muddy sound to it as of late. It is prevalent on all of the recent albums from the band I mentioned even with the bands themselves sounding kind of the same. 

The new Balance And Composure song certainly sounds a lot more like Daylight and Turnover than they did on Separation.

LOL, oh you. 

I feel like you guys are both just enough right. I mean, only a few people were around to know what these songs may have sounded like pre-yip, so I can't say for sure. But it's definitely true that Citizen's sound changed from album to album (doubt that was 100% the band with no production influence). Also true that you can tell who produced the new B&C song without being told. Just some thoughts.

Pity Sex sounds nothing like Daylight and nothing like Citizen and vice versa.

all three of those bands have distinct sounds.

People love just saying things that don't make sense. Don't try to stop them. 90's! Grunge! Shoegaze! Production! Everyone's an engineer now that they've heard 5 records produced by the same person. 

You always get really defensive(borderline rude). It's just people stating their opinion, not the apocalypse. I also don't think anyone in here thinks they're an "engineer", unless they actually are.

I'm not talking about this messageboard specifically with what I said, but people saying stuff like 'they all have the same 90's tone' just doesn't mean anything. The Pity Sex record sounds nothing like the Daylight or Turnover or Citizen records production wise. That is a not an opinion, it's just completely different. I am not defensive about people speaking negatively of our releases, I honestly don't care, but just saying stuff that doesn't make sense about a producers huge and eclectic body of work IS actually annoying. If Will silently recorded all these LPs and no one knew it was the same person, people wouldn't be comparing the production, they'd be comparing the similarities in the band's music because for the most part, that's where the similarities are.