The " I couldnt find a photography thread, so i made one" thread

I agree, if that's your style than more power to you but don't be afraid to let those colors pop. Also I would pay closer attention to your composition. Some of those shots are pretty well composed, but others maybe not so much (just my personal opinion, I'm not flaming you). Composition is everything especially when shooting live music.

This. I was gonna say "don't be afraid to get closer when shooting shows" but I didn't want to come across as pressing my personal style too much.

Hey guys.  I know absolutely nothing about cameras, but my girlfriend is trying to sell her "Canon Macro Lens EF-S 60mm F/2.8" (whatever that means).  She is looking for $325 USD ($450 CAD).  It is in perfect condition and comes with the original box and everything included.  Let me know if you're interested!  Thanks.

I agree, if that's your style than more power to you but don't be afraid to let those colors pop. Also I would pay closer attention to your composition. Some of those shots are pretty well composed, but others maybe not so much (just my personal opinion, I'm not flaming you). Composition is everything especially when shooting live music.

Color popping is tough with harsh and hazy bar situations. Almost every live photographer I know currently pretty much goes solely B & W because of the harsh light. Originally I was using just my kit lens, an 18-55. As you should know, that thing sucks for dark subject matter. I've moved on to a 50mm 1.4 Nikon lens and the results are becoming much more satisfying. The fixed lens aspect is a game changer for composition. For instance - the Julien Baker show was in a club that held maybe 250 and the audience was right up against the stage. I was in the very front, but it's not like I could really move right or left once she started. It's totally different versus shooting in the daytime at a festival with barricades with the ability to zoom into whatever I wanted and circle the entire stage. 

I'm growing...slowly, and finding my style. I've come a long ways from when I was out in California shooting Ariel Pink and Gang of Four. 

Example of harsh light:

(Unedited)

HDRoY88.jpg

(Editied)

julien-baker2-aisle5.jpg

I definitely get what you're saying, I started out with an 18-55 (kit lens) at first as well too and now I've been shooting with a 35mm f/1.8 and it's done me wonders at the sacrifice of having to zoom manually by literally moving around a crowd of people. I'm just saying, as someone looking from afar and viewing your work critically, I aesthetically prefer the brighter colors of the unedited image.

Like I said though, by no means do I mean to come off harshly because even with the more washed out color schemes I think you've got some great shots there.

Hey guys.  I know absolutely nothing about cameras, but my girlfriend is trying to sell her "Canon Macro Lens EF-S 60mm F/2.8" (whatever that means).  She is looking for $325 USD ($450 CAD).  It is in perfect condition and comes with the original box and everything included.  Let me know if you're interested!  Thanks.

i wish it were an EF lens =[

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow guys. Some of you have a great eye.

I'm still trying to get the basics down. I have a Canon Xti I've been experimenting with when my wife and I go for walks.

I'm having trouble focusing on objects. The camera wants to focus on the branch directly in front of me rather than the object in the background. Is there a trick to this?

For example, how would I focus on this baby muskrat?

004_zps0eos6knq.jpg

Did manage to get some cool shots of a Great Blue Heron. Always loved these. Looks like he was war paint on his eyes.

102_zps4qmariex.jpg

112_zpsftknjazw.jpg

115_zpsfpcxryhx.jpg

I used a Tamron 70-300mm lens for all the above shots. Was I too close when trying to take the pics of the muskrat? I took about a dozen pics, and that is by far the "best". I noticed the muskrat as I was walking down a path, he was only about 3 feet away.

On 5/24/2016 at 9:31 AM, vinyl addict said:

Wow guys. Some of you have a great eye.

I'm still trying to get the basics down. I have a Canon Xti I've been experimenting with when my wife and I go for walks.

I'm having trouble focusing on objects. The camera wants to focus on the branch directly in front of me rather than the object in the background. Is there a trick to this?

For example, how would I focus on this baby muskrat?

004_zps0eos6knq.jpg

Did manage to get some cool shots of a Great Blue Heron. Always loved these. Looks like he was war paint on his eyes.

102_zps4qmariex.jpg

112_zpsftknjazw.jpg

115_zpsfpcxryhx.jpg

I used a Tamron 70-300mm lens for all the above shots. Was I too close when trying to take the pics of the muskrat? I took about a dozen pics, and that is by far the "best". I noticed the muskrat as I was walking down a path, he was only about 3 feet away.

You can change your focus point to activate only one of the points rather than have all 9 active in your viewfinder. However, in those photos, it doesnt appear like a misfocus is your issue (save for the 2nd photo of the heron, I see some backfocusing in that image). The lens could need calibrating with your camera body, or your shutter speed is too slow resulting in camera shake - especially if you're shooting at 300mm. The longer the focal length, the more sensitive the camera will be to movement.

Edited by futures

11 minutes ago, vinyl addict said:

Thanks for the tips.  I was told by putting it on the "swimmer" icon setting will give me the one focal point to focus on?

Any suggestions on shutter speed for 300mm?

The swimmer is for when your subject is moving from one side of your frame to the other, like in most sports. It's a tracking focus setting. I wouldn't use that for anything else other then when shooting something that is moving at a quick rate. Your focus never locks in with a tracking focus setting. There's a button that allows you to use the wheel to set the focus point. I usually keep it in the center and move it around as I need based on how I frame my photo.

Shutter speed depends on your surroundings, but you wanna be at least 1/250 to ensure that your movement doesn't make your subject blurry.

• 4 weeks later...