Autographed records?

HOW did you get that job

Work for one of the many touring companies. There's probably 8-10 that bring actual bands out here. Anyway, most of the bands that tour out here need merch people.

Alternatively, start your own touring company with your parents money. Bring bands over you want to see, and do merch yourself.

Work for one of the many touring companies. There's probably 8-10 that bring actual bands out here. Anyway, most of the bands that tour out here need merch people.

Alternatively, start your own touring company with your parents money. Bring bands over you want to see, and do merch yourself.

Did you help out with Pennywise and Face to Face when they came out this last spring?

As far as signatures go, I met Switchfoot a couple years ago at a festival and had them sign Nothing Is Sound.

Also have Mutemath's Odd Soul from when they did an in-store at Criminal Records. Missed the show completely but got to see them that night in the front row at the Tabernacle.

Other than that I have Paper Route's second album and the singer's solo album signed. Looking forward to going to some more shows and hopefully meeting the members.

Too many CDs to count.

Did you help out with Pennywise and Face to Face when they came out this last spring?

Yeah, I did the Brisbane show of that Tour at the Tivoli. I would have done the Perth show too, but was on tour with Chris Isaak.

Actually, the touring companies don't generally have any involvement in the merch side of things, unless it's putting the band's management in contact with a merch company. The only exception to this is promoters who have bought into a merchandising company, but that's still technically a separate business.

There's 5-6 merch companies over here that do merch for touring artists. They sometimes get the job directly through the band or their management, but more often than not, it is through an association with a global merchandising company. For touring acts, it's a cheaper option to have it printed over here than bring it with them from overseas.

I've been selling merch for 10 years. It started out with local bands, and then one day the band were supporting an Australian touring act, and I spoke to their seller and got the hook up for some touring acts. Then some time later, the Australian act I was working for were supporting an international act, and I did the same thing. It's all just networking really.

I have a few signed records.

Streetlight Manifesto - sitb, the hand that thieves, the toh kay lp and 7" all signed by Tomas.

NFG - Sticks and Stones repress signed by all members.

Thrice - artist signed by Dustin and Teppei, Vheissu by the whole band

Dustin Kensrue - please come home

The Front Bottoms - talon of the hawk

Brand New - yfw, tdag and daisy signed by Brian

TWY - upsides, distances, suburbia, tgg, manton st, wbpf and that 7" Scott put out signed by the full band, paper boats signed by soupy

NOFX boxset

Plus the tour 52 weeks that came signed.

Then a few others, plus signed cds, posters, ticket stubs, setlists and whatever. I'd never sell any of it.

I have a few signed records.

Streetlight Manifesto - sitb, the hand that thieves, the toh kay lp and 7" all signed by Tomas.

NFG - Sticks and Stones repress signed by all members.

Thrice - artist signed by Dustin and Teppei, Vheissu by the whole band

Dustin Kensrue - please come home

The Front Bottoms - talon of the hawk

Brand New - yfw, tdag and daisy signed by Brian

TWY - upsides, distances, suburbia, tgg, manton st, wbpf and that 7" Scott put out signed by the full band, paper boats signed by soupy

NOFX boxset

Plus the tour 52 weeks that came signed.

Then a few others, plus signed cds, posters, ticket stubs, setlists and whatever. I'd never sell any of it.

Out of curiosity, how'd you get Tomas to sign that lot? Especially a physical copy of THTT? haha 

Out of curiosity, how'd you get Tomas to sign that lot? Especially a physical copy of THTT? haha

Saw them back in July and waited by the bus. I told him how interpunk had it for like half price and he laughed. Also told him I bought it from RISC originally (or tried) and I guess that he kinda took pity on me.

i also sometimes wait after gigs of artists and bands i like to get some stuff signed or just talk to the people.

my favorite possession comes from portugal the man's john gourley. i love the band and the guys are so much fun to hang out with... after one gig i asked john if he could draw me something aaaand so i got this beauty right here:

7mwt.jpg

• 1 month later...

^That's awesome!

In other news...

I saw Mister Heavenly play on their first tour when they stopped in Salt Lake City. To give a little background, they played at a venue called Kilby Court. Kilby is a staple in the SLC music scene. It's a little courtyard with a garage with a small stage tucked back into a small neighborhood. It's a bit of a hole in the wall but I love it. Pretty much every touring band has played at Kilby on their way through SLC. The maximum occupancy is 200 and it's super crowded when a show sells out. Google Image search "Kilby Court and you'll see what I'm talking about

Anyways. It was a sold out show and the place was PACKED. All throughout the show Michael Cera looked pretty uncomfortable being on stage in front of a crowd that was so close. After the show was over and everyone was filing out my friends and I hung around the courtyard for a few minutes talking. As we were leaving we saw Michael Cera standing outside the venue. My friend went up to him and asked if he would sign her ticket. He said sure and signed it and was super nice about it. I asked him if he'd also sign mine. He was super awkward about it and said "ummmmmm. uhhhhh, I think I have to go." and speed-walked the heck outta there. 

So, that's my awkward Michael Cera story.

Thought of this^ and figured it was worth a bump. Meh.

Was listening to some Mister Heavenly and this came up in the sidebar: 

The comments are hilarious. It's funny how so many people are focused on Michael Cera cause he's on TV and in movies. Dude was a touring bassist, I'd way rather stand in front of any of the other members, who actually, like, wrote the music.

I like an autographed record jacket especially ones I have picked up from the artist and those I always get signed to me.

A bit off topic but I do the same with motor racing stuff except I get it signed over to the wife, we have a big signed print of Stirling Moss in the hall that he signed "to Sharon all the best Stirling Moss"

back to the subject HMV in London always used to put the 7" singles that didn't sell at band signings in the racks so I have picked up quite a few of those over years and recordstore.co.uk quite often sells autographed records as a marketing tool on release so if given the choice I buy the autographed one, I only ever sell or trade doubles of my records and it's unlikely I will get more than one signed copy of a record.

Verifying them is always a problem so when buying a record that's signed it doesn't really add any monetary value to me and like some others have said unless it's signed in front of me I have no real proof.

I have signed copies of LIGHTS' Siberia and her EP. For the former, I waited outside her tour bus until about 1 AM with a bunch of other whackos. Load up was finished by 10 PM so she was obviously in no rush to do a quick meet-and-greet and get to the next town, but we appreciated it all the same. Great time.

I got the EP through discogs for some ridiculous price, but that's because the EP is only /500, not because it's got some sharpie on the cover.

^That's awesome!

In other news...

Thought of this^ and figured it was worth a bump. Meh.

Was listening to some Mister Heavenly and this came up in the sidebar: 

The comments are hilarious. It's funny how so many people are focused on Michael Cera cause he's on TV and in movies. Dude was a touring bassist, I'd way rather stand in front of any of the other members, who actually, like, wrote the music.

Haha. Funny you found that! I was actually standing right next to that guy. I was a little embarrassed when he got on the stage.