Do Compilations count towards a full collection?

tokimedo

Do Compilations count towards a full collection?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do Compilations count towards a full collection?

Im wondering if you guys consider compilation records as being part of a "complete collection".

for example, if you collected balance and composure variants, would you need to have all variants of OFF THE BOARDS as well as MIXED SIGNALS, including tests, to TRULY have a complete vinyl collection for a certain band?

Just wondering everyone's opinions on this. 

And to chime in on your question: I think it's the equivalent to when one would ask if tests were necessary to having a complete collection. It's a personal preference, but I think that other releases (LPs, EPs, 7", Splits) Would have more weight on a collection than say, a comp. But again, it's a personal preference / choice. 

If it were NFG, I would probably collect them depending on how many variants there were.

Also.... exclusive songs vs songs already on other albums.

and to be honest, im asking because im wondering if i should invest in off the boards comp to keep my ciz collection complete or not. the only thing thats making me lean towards yes is that the song isnt pressed on anything else. 

Also.... exclusive songs vs songs already on other albums.

and to be honest, im asking because im wondering if i should invest in off the boards comp to keep my ciz collection complete or not. the only thing thats making me lean towards yes is that the song isnt pressed on anything else.

Justifiable, but I would personally say no. But this is coming from a dude that hates 7" for the most part

Comps, I can see. Exclusive tracks on other formats, yes. Tests and the like, no. If it is available to general public, I think it can be considered collectible for collection-bragging-rights. Things that aren't generally available shouldn't be considered a part of a collection, just bonus extra, if you will, and if yr lucky enough to snag one.

Comps, I can see. Exclusive tracks on other formats, yes. Tests and the like, no. If it is available to general public, I think it can be considered collectible for collection-bragging-rights. Things that aren't generally available shouldn't be considered a part of a collection, just bonus extra, if you will, and if yr lucky enough to snag one.

interesting. I would def say in my opinion tests are 100% a part of a complete collection. 

I went with possibly.

IMO, it should count only if a compilation includes an exclusive track, not available on any other release. For any other compilation, it doesn't matter. But then again, a complete "vinyl" collection to me still isn't complete, or just as incomplete as a "vinyl minus comps" or "vinyl minus tests" collection. A complete collection to me means everything. Absolutely everything that exists. Every medium with every piece of music, every variant, every import/country specific release. However, as soon as the band puts out more than two or three full lengths, chances are your collection will never be complete in that sense.

As soon as you put any additional explanation or restriction to the "complete", it isn't complete. In this case it is a theme/medium/release specific collection, and technically it can be complete whenever you meet the criteria that satisfies you, but it never is actually realistically complete. And as soon as you wonder, even for a second, if what you have in fact is a complete collection, it means that the criteria you met don't really satisfy you.

Like others have said if the song on the comp is exclusive to that comp, then personally I would want at least 1 copy of it. Tests of that compilation are pretty overboard though, especially considering most people sell off their collections after a while. 

But hey, ultimately it's YOUR collection, so when it feels "full" to you, then it's full! If somebody goes "ITS NOT COMPLETE CAUSE YOU DONT HAVE THE SECRET LOST HURPADURP COMPILATION VOL 6 WITH THEIR 30 SECOND EXCLUSIVE TRACK" then they're probably just jealous your collection.